“Great hotel but lacks atmosphere”
Review of Hilton Malta

Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Sannat, Malta
“Great hotel but lacks atmosphere”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Wanted to stay at this hotel for many years so we booked on for a couple of days to chill out and relax. It didn't start well when we were given a different room to the one we had booked, so had to return to reception and change rooms. The room was very large and well furnished but the phones didn't work so had to walk down to reception again to report it. We did see rooms been re painted and during most of our time there we could hear furniture been moved around. We did complain to reception and the duty manager but no one admitted what the noise was or even seemed to care. I found the staff not very helpful even though most other reviews say that they are very friendly and helpful. We have travelled around the world and stayed in lots of very good hotels, this one looks very grand but it lacks atmosphere and is very bland. The hotel looks very impressive but our stay was an anti climax and would probably not stay again - still many other hotel in Malta to try out

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear SarahB5

Thank you for taking the time to share your views about your stay with us at Hilton Malta. Monitoring guest comments is vital for our continued success

Dear SarahB5, I would be grateful if you could contact me directly on Annemarie.scicluna@hilton.com as I wish to investigate further with regards to your experiences during your stay in our hotel

I look forward to hear from your good self
Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,015)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

What a fantastic hotel with excellent rooms, facilities and food but more importantly the friendliest and most helpful staff I have come across in a hotel.Without doubt the best Hilton I have stayed in.The hotel was immaculate and the choice of food and eating places was second to none. Worthy of its five star rating.

Room Tip: Certainly worth paying that little bit extra to have an executive room and the use of the executive...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dougie R
Dear Dougie R,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about our hotel. It is always a pleasure when guests take the time to commend us.

We look forward to welcome you back very soon!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

This our 10th stay at Malta Hilton, we wouldn't stay anywhere else on Malta, the Staff are brilliant, all areas of hotel inside and out are excellent, room was as always first class with a great view, two minutes outside the hotel you have a choice of hundreds of quality eateries, we didn't want to leave.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Geoff H
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Geoff H

We are grateful that you took the time to share your experience with us, and delighted that we have evidently managed to make your stays at Hilton Malta memorable. Your comments motivate us to strive to do even better, which we hope you will be able to judge for yourself when you visit us again.

It is gratifying to us that you consider us your home in Malta, and we will do our best to ensure you always feel welcome, comfortable, and cared for when you are here.

Thanks again, and warm regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

First and foremost, would like to apologise for my silly title. Let me explain-- I am a business traveller who frequently stays at Hilton's (worldwide). Up till my recent stay at the Hilton Malta, the Hilton Tokyo was my favourite Hilton property but, boy, they were knocked off the top spot...

At the end of October, my family and I visited Malta for three nights and stayed at the Hilton Malta. After an uncomfortable ride on the minibus provided by the airport transfer company, we were welcomed by this wonderful property. We arrived at approximately 11:30am but was immediately checked into our two King Size Sea View Rooms (note: availability of early check in obviously varies based on availability). We were escorted to our rooms and WOW both were brilliant. Let me provide you with more details:

Check In:
Polite and efficient check in. I reckon can be busy at times as this is a busy hotel but with the live piano music in the background and the beautiful view of the outdoor pool... one can wait. Was given a refreshing welcome drink and was wisked away to our rooms.

Room(s):
Reserved two rooms facing the sea with king sized beds. Both rooms also had sofa beds but according to hotel management this can vary. Had a spacious balcony in both with furniture. Great minibar which is well stocked and the bathroom was... incredible! Step in shower, separate bathtub and separate toilet. Have stayed in numerous hotels in the past but this was by far the largest. As we were staying with four children, the hotel stocked our rooms with extra amenities. Had a large TV but sorry didn't test it out as we spent most of our time outside. Would have been nice to have interconnecting rooms but can't ask for everything.

Executive Lounge:
I fortunate enough to be given access to the Executive Lounge. Had a wonderful buffet breakfast every morning with a wide variety of choices. Staff were attentive and the view from the executive lounge was stupendous. Did visit the executive lounge in the evening for drinks. Although I do not drink, I did see a large selection of alcohol. Had some tidbits to eat but was slightly disappointed as they did not have any dessert. Perhaps I'm being fickle but as I don't drink I do have a sweet tooth.

Indoor Pool:
Clean and tidy. The water was crisp and was slightly heated for your comfort. They did provide us with towels (which we were able to hire when heading out to the beach).

Outdoor Pool(s):
This property has several outdoor pools although two of them were closed when we visited. This again was clean and tidy. Had a sanded area imitating a beach.

Location:
25 minute drive from the airport. Had numerous restaurants and bars around the hotel. Arkadia Supermarket is within walking distance (slightly on dear on the purse). If you are into nightlife, you can easily walk to St. George's Bay for a dance or whatever vice you are into. Tour buses either pick up, drop off at the hotel or within walking distance from the hotel. Very convenient.

Other:
I believe what makes this property wonderful is the fact that all staff are always looking for ways of caring for you. Let me provide you with examples:
1. Prior to arriving, Philippa who is the assistant to the Director or Operations was helpful in arranging a surprise for my wife (wedding anniversary). Not only that, she was always available to answer my questions... regardless of how silly they were;
2. Edward at the concierge desk was kind enough to arrange for all our tours... knowing that we had limited time, he did come up with a brilliant schedule
I can name a few more but I believe this makes my point. Hospitality is indeed alive in this property. I was impressed and look forward to visiting again soon.

3 Thank HHRich
Dear HHRich

Thank you!
We are grateful that you took the time to share your experience with us.. We are very proud of being responsible of this wonderful establishment. It is our committed aim to offer the highest levels of service possible and do our utmost to meet and exceed every expectation of each one of our guests.

Thank you very much for your detailed write up on your experience with us and look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you back to our property being for business or for pleasure.

Vastmanland County, Sweden
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

This is not a five star hotel, the only thing that is five star is the pools. The staff in the reception is not service minded and they tried to foul me on 1500 euros at check in. We also have a LOT of ants in the Room and also a gecko, but we did not get any new Room and the staff was arrogant and rude. You should not have to find a LOT of insects in a five star hotel. Today two weeks after checkout the hotel have taken 4700 SEK from my bank account without any explanation. This is not ok.

• Stayed October 2013
6 Thank mackosweden
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear mackosweden

I am very sorry to read that you left the hotel less than satisfied with the services you received during your stay.
Being an island and especially during this time of year, having high humidty levels, we recommend our guests to keep balcony doors closed to minimise insects from entering.
I would very much appreciate the opportunity to personally discuss the events of your stay and I would therefore request that you provide me with your contact details by emailing me on annemarie.scicluna@hilton.com

Awaiting your reply

Anne marie Scicluna
Bingley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My family and I stayed here in an executive room, which gave us access to the executive lounge with benefits, including afternoon tea which was excellent. Staff everywhere were excellent and extremely helpful.

My only complaint is that you have to pay for wifi in the room, even executive rooms, when you already pay a premium, but it is free in the reception/breakfast area/executive lounge. This was quite annoying at times. WiFi should be free especially in a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Tebs2012

Your view on our hotel was greatly appreciated and I promise that your comment on our internet will not go unnoticed

I thank you and hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back very soon.

Anne marie Scicluna
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My husband and I have Just returned from the hilton with 2 children and the mother in law! We all had a fantastic time both at the hotel and within the surrounding area. The hotel staff we're all really friendly, courteous and couldn't do enough to ensure we had a lovely stay.
The pools were great for the children although the outdoor one a little chilly at the end October. The indoor pool however was never busy and the kids loved it and there was plenty of loungers to relax on while they swam.
We ate at all 3 restaurants during the week, all of which we were very impressed with, although if you are going to eat in the buffet restaurant, it was recommended that Saturday is the best night, and busiest so you need to book. Kids under 12 eat free which was also a bonus.
The buses around the island are great, we didn't need a car at all.
There are so many other very nice restaurants around we were spoilt for choice, many of which you can sit outside to eat with superb views of the harbours.
Special mention to Robert in the vista bar, really friendly and helpful recommendations.

Room Tip: We had a connecting room which was great if traveling with children. Try the afternoon tea.....it...
1 Thank Mega-rare
Dear Mega-rare
Your feedback about you stay at our hotel is greatly appreciated.
I have shared this review with the rest of the team who join me in thanking you fot your time.

Robert will also be recognised for his good work at our 'Hilton awards for excellence' award.

We look forward to see you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema

Been to Hilton Malta? Share your experiences!