“When things go wrong!!!”
Review of Hilton Malta

Hilton Malta
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I had a very unpleasant experience at this hotel. I stayed just one night on business leaving yesterday morning. I woke up and the water coming from the hot tap was green mucky coloured. I shaved and showed as best I could and once dressed went down to the lobby where I found the duty manager - her business card title is "Journey Ambassador" - yuck.
I told her about my experience and before getting far into my explanation she said, "Water - Yes we have had severe problems with our hot water following a burst pipe which happened at 4am and which took much longer to repair than anticipated.We now need to allow the water to flow through the pipes before clear water becomes available - there was nothing I could do".
I countered there was plenty she could have done - she could have written a note to be put under the door of every affected room apologising for the inconvenience and placing a complimentary bottle of water outside the door so at least teeth cleaning could be done in hygenic conditions. If she was not competent to be duty manager, she should go back for further training!
I am involved in hotels myself, things do go wrong and the customer satisfaction is only assured if proactive management is part of the team spirit. I like to hope that in none of our hotels would we give guests such a negative answer. I made it clear, I had little sympathy.
She did try to appease me later and gave me 50% discount by that doesn't put things right. We exchange business cards and she wrote a polite email part of which surprised me, "I can assure you that the sediment was harmless, but I still agree that this created a great deal of inconvenience." But could she really assure me that the sediment was harmless - water analysis usually takes some time and I suggest that assurance was not given based on any analitical data. She had no idea whether I had developed some nasty tummy bug (which I havent because as a seasoned traveller I didn't drink the filthy water).
Things go wrong in hotels like in all businesses but that is when training, a team spirit make the difference.
The room was otherwise nice, the lobby was fairly attractive, the breakfast area looked decidely tired and the outside pool was empty with a very dirty looking bottom.
I will try to return to the Westin on my next visit!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newly refurbished wing. A collegue was in the other wing and he said the rooms...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank MJBPortugal
MariaGhebresselasie, Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear MJBPortugal

I am really appreciative of you taking the time to share your experience with us.

Allow me to start by apologising for the inconveniences you encountered during your recent stay, I do appreciate the comfort afforded by a warm clean shower in the morning.

I have read your feedback with detail and what I can deduce is that we clearly failed to make you feel cared for, valued and respected. There are certainly learning points that we will take on board from the manner in which we handled this particular situation.

MJBPortugal, I am genuinely sorry for the shortfalls in service which you encountered and I hope that you will indulge us and give us another apportunity during your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on maria.ghebresselasie@hilton.com for any future bookings or any other assistance you may require.

Wishing you a pleasant weekend.

Regards

Maria Ghebresselasie
Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (4,917)

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were celebrating our 13th anniversary and were given the chance to get away sans children for a few days. We selected Malta as a destination and having stayed and appreciated Hilton hotels in the past opted for the Hilton in St Julian. From the start we got nothing short of perfect service. Check in was done in a snap and we were upgraded - without asking - to a suite to celebrate our special day. Great room that was very spacious and with a beautiful view from the 7th floor of the coast, sea and the swimming pools below. That evening we decided to stay in house and went to the Blue Elephant Thai restaurant for dinner. Weird it reminded us so much of our honeymoon in the Far East. Dinner was tasty, freshly prepared and congenial. Staff were present at all times to check everything was to our liking and yet they were not overbearing or in the way at any time. Perfect balance. To end a special evening and again without asking we got a complimentary desert from the chef with "Happy anniversary" in chocolate writing across the plate. What an amazing touch. The following three days were spent travelling around Malta with expert advice from the Hilton concierge. Each day started with the always-great Hilton breakfast which have us all the energy to make the most of every day. In the evenings we relaxed in the solarium / indoor relaxation room. Awesome. Even managed a session in the spa where again service was five star at all times. Nothing was ever a problem during our stay. The only problem we had on leaving was deciding when we would be back. The Hilton Malta is certainly to be recommended as one of the best hotels I've stayed in. Part of that is the excellent facilities but no good hotel is without input from its staff. And the staff here were just brilliant. Thanks for a great weekend away guys! We'll be back!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cbwinter
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear cbwinter

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We are glad to have contributed and made your stay a "weekend to remember". We look forward to welcome you for your 14th anniversary and for many more years to come!

Once again, THANK YOU for choosing to stay in our hotel.
Kindest regards

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I would very much recommend this hotel. Had a great time relaxing and tasting the good food and being pampered by all staff who were all very helpful and always with a cheerful smile. The interior of the hotel is very inviting with all the necessary amenities for one to relax. The exterior is very pleasing on a nice day, of which there are many in Malta, for walking along the surroundings of the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Bernardette S

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay so much. It is a pleasure to read that our guests take the time to recommend our hotel.

We do hope that this break spent with us at Hilton Malta, will lead to many more in the near future!

Kindest regards

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We -five of us - had a weekend break here to celebrate our daughter's birthday and we had a wonderful time. We highly recommend this hotel to locals and foreigners alike. Food and series ae excellent.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank alfbrin

Dear alfbrin,

THANK YOU!
Thank all five of you for choosing to spend your weekend break in our hotel. We look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you for many more times.

Guest Relations

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We had an excellent stay at this hotel. The breakfast was very good, the view from our room (sea view) was amazing. Our 7 year old son enjoyed the indoor pool facility, and had a great time there. We were on a half board basis and our buffet dinner at the Oceana Restaurant was impeccable. Good food, loads of choices and superb presentation of food. Will surely return to this hotel, for a longer stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Marika_121, Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2014

Dear 67ruthg,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Malta whilst in Malta back in February and thank you so much for your kind comments. we truly appreciated this and look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you back in our hotel.

Regards

Marika

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Great location, convenient. Nice room sizes, within walking distance of restaurants and entertainment area. Enjoyed early morning jog's 20mins in one direction takes you all the way around the bay. Safe environment. Food was bland and the same daily. Conference area was ok.

Room Tip: Rooms to the right of the entrance have good views especially sunrises. They are breath taking
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Topdeck21

Thank you very much for your comments. I have taken the liberty to share them with our Executive Chef, Joe Vella for his attention.
Should you wish to give us more feedback on your stay, my direct email addess is annemarie.scicluna@hilton.com
I look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you back again

Guest Relations

Reviewed 12 February 2014

The Saturday evening buffet was fantastic....a fabulous choice of food.....a very wide variety to choose from....even the breakfast is extraordinary with omlettes and waffles being cooked in front of us with the possibility to choose customised ingredients.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dorianne B
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Dear Dorianne B

Thank you.
Joe Vella, our Executive Chef and his team, thank you very much for your kind comments and look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you back very soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
#8 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Hotel Valentina
Hotel Valentina
#1 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Hilton Malta? Share your experiences!