“Great hotel in good location” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hilton Malta
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Kent
“Great hotel in good location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Just returned from a week in this hotel and had a great time. We were upgraded to a executive room in the east of the building over looking the garden and sea. These room were amazing all very modern and with great bathrooms. The only thing which was a bug bear for me was that to access the pool area we had to go from our floor level 3 to reception on level 5 through reception and down to level 3 on the other side of the building, an access to the area through the garden would help. I agree with our reviews that you don't need to go half board as their are some great restaurants in the area. We were on holiday with our two boys aged 19 and 18. The Paceville area/ St Georges bay area was great for them and just 10 mins walk from the hotel. Go in the other direction you have the upmarket marina and restaurants or down the hill into the Spinollo bay with views over the bay. You can book day trips at the hotel or if you go into Sliema ferries you can book direct and often get a discount. The boys loved the gym and indoor pool. The pool area was great and I liked the adults only area very peaceful. All the staff were all very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank juliejulie
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear JulieJulie,

Lovely review. Thanks and million! We are so happy to hear your boys and yourself have had an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you again for taking time to share your positive experience. Do not hesitate to contact us at anytime should you wish to visit our Island again in the near future. We will be thrilled to welcoming you back!

Kindest Regards,
Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (974)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Navan, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed in this hotel for the second time May 15th to 22nd our expectations were high because of our first stay we were not disappointed. Check-in was fast and the receptionist was lovely and friendly welcomed us back and wished us a happy anniversary as we were celebrating our 40th
We had requested a room on a high floor and were delighted to see we were on the 10th floor room number 1027 fantastic sea and pool view, bottle of sparkling wine and chocolate cake lovely touch. Our room was kept perfect during our stay lovely young lady looked after us well. We ate in the hotel several times and would so do again great breakfast Reno's omelette the best ever. Loved the food in the BOTTEGA DEL VINO thought the cost was reasonable and great staff.
Blue Elephant Thai Restaurant not to be missed try to go there on Wednesdays nights as they have a set menu and it is a nice way to try something new great food an lovely staff .Beautiful outside pools clean and well maintained and brilliant inside fitness area lovely friendly staff on reception . Concierge service wonderful and very helpful porters .We had a fabulous holiday and are hoping to return sometime soon thanks to everyone for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Sea view is perfect
1 Thank Mary1045
alastair_morin, Front Office Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear L-Lou150,

Thank you for taking the time to review on tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that our team and our facilities made your stay a great success.

Regarding your comment on the outside bulding work at the far end of Portomaso, please accept our apologies the inconvenience caused and for not advising you beforehand about these works, indeed we were not forewarned that these would start as this project is not linked to the Hilton Malta. However I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your experience with us and our services.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Warmest regards from Malta.

Alastair Morin
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We recently stayed at the Hilton Malta from the 14th May- 21st May for a short break. I have to say staying at hotel was a pleasant experience, but there is a few minor issues which I wasn't pleased about throughout my stay. When we first arrived at the hotel, the check in staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. We got a complimentary orange juice on arrival as well which I thought was a nice touch. Our room was situated on the third floor so we were near the swimming pool and the Oceana Restaurant where you have breakfast and also you can choose to have lunch and dinner there. Our room was a very good size and it had a decent samsung tv with english channels. It also had an impressive balcony but as we were on the third floor we only saw palm trees and no view of the marina!Also the bathrooms are a decent size and also it has a lot of plug sockets including UK ones. However the rooms were a bit dated and I felt the Hilton Malta should spend a bit of money updating the rooms to make them a bit more modern.

Whilst at the hotel, we used the hotel facilities. The hotel has two big swimming pools and there is plenty of places to sit. The pool was a great place to swim as it was huge but it was quite cold and also very slippery in some places so you have got to be very careful around there. There is a also a very good pool bar which serves food and drinks. You can have food ranging from burgers to salads but I thought the prices were a bit steep ranging from 9 euros for a salad and 15 euros for a burger. However they do have a happy hour and you get two non-alcoholic cocktails for 5 euros which I thought was excellent. You also get towel cards on your arrival so you need to make sure you don't chuck them away or you could end up paying a few euros a day for towels. One day, whilst it was a very windy day in Malta we had to use the indoor swimming pool in the health club. That is situated in the fourth floor and you can purchase sports merchandise and also have spa treatments. We just wanted to use the swimming pool and that was good as it was heated and also it a good size pool as well. Also we took advantage of the bars they have at the hotel. A few nights we had drinks at the QuarterDeck Bar and 3 drinks came to around 15 euros which we thought was a bit expensive but not surprising for a five star hotel. You can also get some fantastic views of the marina again and it is a very nice place to sit down when the sun is going down. We also used the reception bar and that was more formal than the quarterdeck bar. The service there is very efficient and all the waiters and waitresses are all friendly. Also that is one of the places where you get 'free' wifi as well.

However there was couple of issues I had with the hotel. The first problem was the hotel breakfast. The breakfast opens from 07:00-10:00 and the service they provide is excellent. There is plenty of variety at the breakfast and is very nice but they could provide a bit more variety in the fruit section. There is a lot of fruits in season at the moment but the only fruit they provided was tinned pears and a fruit salad which I thought was poor. They should maybe have a bit more variety such as having strawberries, watermelon slices etc. But the biggest problem is the omelette station. They make the eggs and omelettes all fresh but there is a long queue for it and also it dosen't help when the guys on the omelette station don't serve customers who have been waiting for a long time but instead start cooking their friends orders which I thought was very poor. But the biggest issue is the wi-fi. At all the 5-star hotels or even 4-star hotels I ever stayed at they always provide wi-fi for free but for some reason at the Hilton Malta, you have to pay which I find very surprising as people pay a lot of money to stay here. For one day you have to pay 15 euros to use it and for a week you have to pay 45 euros which I thought was crazy! Even if you purchase the wi-fi you can;t even use it around the pool. I didn't mind using the free wi-fi in the reception hotel and bars but I would rather surf on the web outside and even the room instead of using it in a public area. I think that that is one issue which Hilton Malta need to address if they want maintain their excellent service.

As we only booked Bed and Breakfast at the hotel we ventured out a lot for dinner, drinks and day trips. As the hotel is situated by the marina and also the Portomoso Tower there is a lot of choice to pick from. For some days we had lunch at a place called cafe portomoso which is a two minutes walk from the hotel. You can have a sandwich and a coffee for under 10 euros per person which I thought was excellent value. One night, we had dinner at a restaurant called 1927. This restaurant serves traditional maltese food and is excellent value for money. I would advise booking though as the restaurant is very small and also it is closed on Mondays as well. We also had dinner at a restaurant called wigi's kitchen which also serves traditional maltese food as well. This restaurant is around a 20 minute walk but is a very nice walk as you get to see some breathtaking scenery. The restaurant is situated right of the end of the long road, so when to get to roundabout where you will see saddles bar- which is a good place to drink as well, turn left, walk down and is situated on the right hand side. We also had dinner at a place called vermeils which served nice italian food and excellent seafood. Also if you want to go to a cafe which serves decent coffee then I would recommend going to cafe bocconcino which is next door to wigi's. The coffee is very nice and also not too expensive. We also ate at the hotel on a few nights as well. One night we had dinner at the Blue Elephant Restaurant where you can have a thai banquet for around 35 euros per head with wine but on wednesdays only. I thought the food was nice but it did lack a bit of spice. We also went to the italian restaurant next door to the oceana restaurant. This serves traditional italian cuisine and is also nice but not one of my favourite meals on my break. Also there is a supermarket called Arkcadia where you can purchase items and also get waitrose products! And finally, we also did some day trips to some sites in Malta. One day we did a day trip to Valetta. You can get there by getting the 12 or 13 bus and is 1.50 euros all day which is excellent value. The buses are frequent but they get very busy on weekdays so I would advise walking up to bus stop up the hill, and there is more chance of you getting on and also grabbing a seat. The bus also goes to sliema and that is 20 minute bus journey. It is a nice place to visit and you catch ferries there. If you want go to gozo, then the concierge can book you a day trip to see blue lagoon and gozo for around 50-60 euros per person. Also Malta Airport is around 25 minutes away from St Julians and is around 20 euros in the cab.

Overall, I would consider staying here again as Malta is a nice country to relax, but hopefully they can make the wi-fi free to make it even better.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Dannyessex1990
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
Dear Dannyessex1990,

Thank you and sincere apologies for being late in replying!
All you comments and observations were shared and discussed with the respective teams and departments. Such comments and observations are of great importance for us. They help us to monitor, work on and improve any service shortfalls that need improvment.

Dannyessex1990, should we have the opportunity to welcome you back, please do email me directly on annemarie.scicluna@hilton.com so that we would be able to follow up directly on your needs and expectations.

We thank you once again and for your time!
Warm regards

Beirut, Lebanon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed 5 days in this hotel. Good service, good food, fair rooms, high prices and nice area for children.
2 options for rooms with port view or sea view. Chose sea view.
Good family resort.
Hotel is well situated if you like to have a drink or eat outside.
Easily accessible.

Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Obelix G
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Obelix G

Thank you for your comments.
I would be very interested in having more feedback about your stay with us and kindly ask you, at your convenience, to contact me directly on annemarie.scicluna@hilton.com

I look forward to hear from you.

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful week at the Hilton, from easy check in ,to polite and friendly staff, we were given a complimentary drink on arrival. Then we went up to our room which was on the tenth floor, it had fabulous views of the marina, and the sun in the afternoon. Couldn't fault the room at all, it was a good size, and was clean and well maintained, could not see what anyone would find to complain about. The breakfast as nearly everyone comments on was excellent. Tibor our Thomas Cook rep was very knowledgeable about area and trips, and was very helpful and friendly .We had no problems whatsoever with any aspect of our stay, and would go back again. The only thing I will say is that we paid in our package to upgrade to half board, but if you are travelling with a picky eater, it is not a wise decision, as we only ate the evening meal on our first night, as it was not to my husbands taste, no fault of hotel food. There is a wealth of other places to eat quite close by .Pauls seabreeze restaurant on seafront on the way to Sliemma was very good( about twenty minute slow pleasant walk). You don't need plug adapters as the sockets were three pin like ours here in England. All staff we encountered were pleasant and friendly, will definitely return

Room Tip: we liked the higher floor room, but didn't see inside any other, so can't really compare
2 Thank lindah_11
Dear lindah_11

Thank you very much for your kinds words. We are glad to have met and exceeded your expectations.

I have just shared your comments with our Executive Chef, Joe Vella, who instructed me to let you know that when you are back, he is more than happy and willing to organise a nice meal to meet your husband's taste.

We thank you once again and look forward to welcome you back!
Kind regards from all of us at Hilton Malta

Kent united kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Once again a fantastic stay at this hotel,the staff exceptional in all areas,many who always remember you when you go back which is lovely,the only down bit"which is not much" on looking at my check out bill on my return home there was 2 red bulls on from the mini bar at €8.90 on it as I can't stand the stuff and my husband a diabetic ,so was a bit miffed ,but we hadn't been there for a year and forgot how much I love it,so will be returning again in a few months and can not wait,the best hotel,area and restaurants .....a must

3 Thank Margaret Q
Dear Margaret Q,

Thank you!
Thank you for returning to our hotel!.
I look forward to have the pleasure to see you in the very near future. We are always so glad when we see familiar faces.

I would be very happy if you could email me prior to your arrival so that I would be able to credit back the 8.90 Euro we charged you for items you did not consume.

See you very soon.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

they will change your room and try and convince you it's an upgrade. The quality is 3 star, not 5 star. I have used the Hilton group for years and in certain ways they have improved. The staff in this hotel are really excellent, so you will not be dissapointed by the service, but they will abuse you as a corporate company, which is obviously their business model in this location. avoid, unless you need the location, which is excellent

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

4 Thank Andrew T
Dear Andrew T.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in our hotel, I am very sorry to read that your left the hotel feeling that we did not care, value and respect you as a customer. I would be very interested in determining more specifically the nature of your concerns and kindly ask you to contact me directly on annemarie.scicluna@hilton.com

If ever we made a mistake with your booking, i apologise in advance and will do my best for this to be rectified.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Hotel Juliani
#2 of 34 in Saint Julian's
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,303 reviews
Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort

Been to Hilton Malta? Share your experiences!