“Great Holiday”

Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Scotland
“Great Holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I have just returned from two weeks at The Hilton. I had booked a twin room with Sea View and well done to Margot on reception who with authorisation from her supervisor each time, showed me five rooms , the fifth one was perfect for the room rate I had paid, I could see over the tops of the palm trees to the view I had expected. This hotel is a very well run and well organised hotel. If we had a problem and I did with the air con and a few other little things it was resolved very quickly. The staff at The Hilton are very very helpful. Concierge's at the hotel are full of knowledge and helpful.
The very bottom pool is the one we preferred, down in the lift from the main pool level by the sea. A fair few under school age children at the hotel and over the weekend more school age children.
Breakfast was very good but at 20 euros there was no compromise for the mornings you just wanted tea and toast. So we did end up walking the short distance out of the hotel for our breakfast. I think when the building work at the next hotel is completed I would prefer a room overlooking The Marina, nice and lots to look at. Overall a very enjoyable two weeks. Well done Malta Hilton.

Room Tip: 8 floor and above to enable you to have a clear view over Palm trees,if you are beside the Palm Tree...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear ScotlandEleanor,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hilton Malta! We are happy that even though you had to encounter some minor issues whilst staying with us, we have managed to rectify and solve the issue in a timely manner.

I have taken the liberty to forward your kind comments on Margot to her manager so that he in turn will recognise her very good work!

Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (981)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Executive room with a sea view and balcony was a good size and a much-appreciated king-sized bed. Nice big bathroom too. Generally attentive staff, especially the concierge Edward, though when we had a problem it took two days before management got back to us. Appreciated that they wanted to assist, but more timely response would have made my life less stressful.
Good quality food in the room service menu - prompt delivery and nice to get it on a table, rather than a tray.
I feel that a 5 star hotel should offer turn-down service at night. It's a small thing but I find turn-down service is the extra detail that gives a real sense of comfort and luxury to my stay.
And wifi should be free. €45 for 4 days seems steep.
Enjoyed the spa facilities - level of expertise depended on who was providing the spa service, but friendly. Health club was well-utilised by my BF who spent a lot of time in the sauna and indoor pool.
Be aware that the hotel restaurant has live music some nights and a club across the water goes late in the weekend, so sleep may be disturbed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hazelinparis
Dear Hazelinparis,

Thank you!
Whilst thanking you for your time, I would be grateful if you could give us more information about your stay and the issue you encountered as I wish to have a better understanding about the mater. I kindly ask you, at your convenience, for more feedback. My direct email address is annemarie.scicluna@hilton.com

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is lovely and than was needed as Malta is not that great. We had a marina deluxe room which was spacious and clean with a lovely balcony over looking the harbour. The staff were helpful and there are 3 pools to choose from which mixed it up a bit. The negative has to be the price, WiFi was 15 Euros a day!! My network only charged me £1.99 a day. I also was not too happy checking my tab half way through the holiday but when I received bill at the end they added VAT too which made a substantial difference. Overall, best hotel in Malta but I wont be going back to Malta any time soon

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank James D
Dear Trip Advisor Member

Whilst thanking your very much for taking the time to share your observations with us, I was very sorry to read that we will not have the pleasure to welcome you back to our country and to the Hilton Malta.

I have taken the libery to forward your comments to my colleagues for their attention and any possible changes in the system and services we provide.

We thank you once again for your time

Hilton Malta
rose1984
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Hilton is in the perfect location, right in the middle of all the lovely resturants in St Julians (by the marina) and within very easy access to the rest of the island. The hotel is great, lovely pools and plenty of room. Our room was great - very big and it had a large balcony overlooking the sea/marina which was great.
The food is lovely, however if you dont have B&B or half/full board then it gets very expensive - we only ate breakfast there once as it was 20EUR each regardless of what you ate.
The only downfall is the fact that there is no free WiFi in the rooms, only in the bar areas. So we paid 70EUR for WiFi for the week! That would be my only complaint.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a Deluxe sea view, it is worth it!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rose1984
Dear rose1984

Thank you very much!
Your observations and comments are highly appreciated!
We are happy that you enjoyed your visit in our hotel and do hope to have the pleasure to welcoem you back very soon!

england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We have just enjoyed an 11 night stay at the Hilton which is a very nice hotel although we didn't get the 5 star feeling. Our sea view deluxe room was lovely with great views and well appointed. However there was a large nasty stain on the carpet which looked untidy and on arrival the shower curtain had a big brown mark on it? The curtain was replaced and this apart the Housekeepers do a great job, always had a smile and happy greeting when we saw them.

Breakfast was as good as previous reviews say and we never had to queue to be seated despite the hotel being busy. We also enjoyed the room service on several occasions.

We ate at the Merkanti beach bar once, our waitress was involved in a dispute with a customers bill and left our drinks on the bar whilst trying to sort this out. Our food arrived before the drinks so we asked the new waitress if these could be delivered.She smiled and told our original waitress that we were waiting, five minutes later the drinks were brought over, no apology and now warm. The caesar salad was really poor although my wifes pasta was pretty good.
We used the loungers by the sea wall most days and the area was very pleasant, apart from one morning when the tables were littered with the previous days glasses, ice buckets and dirty plates. These were eventually cleared at 11.30 after requesting one of the bar managers check the area. He was very apologetic and offered us complimentary drinks for bringing this to his attention.(we refused the drinks as this wasn't the purpose of the complaint) but surely this should be tidied at the end of the day.

We also enjoyed the quarter deck bar which is a nice place to sit and have a drink either inside or out. However I have to voice my disgust that this bar is closed to paying guests to accomodate functions especially as there is nothing else in comparison.
There were quiet a few functions during our stay, with the Merkanti bar and Gazebo being used during the evening, although again these areas were not offered to guests.

The ice machine on our floor didnt work for the duration of our stay despite always being switched on and there were a few other niggles that shouldnt really show in a five star hotel

Gym area, indoor pool and amenities are very good didnt try the spa but it looked pleasant.

Unfortuantely there is some noisy building work going on around the Marina, this stopped after our first 2 days not sure if this is for a summer break or that we were just lucky but I would check with the hotel before booking a Marina room.

As said, a very nice hotel in a great position but with so many new five star places opening around the world attention to detail is a must for the older ones.

Room Tip: Room 838 for great sea views.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cruisin2
Dear cruisin2,

Thank you for choosing to spend your holiday with us, at the Hilton Malta!
All your comments are valuable for us as they help us to monitor and improve where change is necessary!

The room issues you mentioned should not have been there in the first place but am glad that my colleagues, from the housekeeping department, have rectified and made up for this.

Attention to each and every detail is a must in the hospitality industry and am sorry that we have not provided you with the service we are so known for.

We thank you once again for your time. Should we have the pleasure and opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel, please feel free to email me so that I can personally take care of your reservation from check in to check out stage and make sure that all is flawless.

Kind regards from the Hilton Malta Team

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was our 6th trip to the hotel in 9 years. We like it because of its location beside Divewise who we dive with. This time we felt that weddings now take priority over everything else but its not a massive issue, it would just depend on being warned before you book.

In the 10 days we were there there were 5 weddings in total plus a couple of other functions at the Merkanti Beach Club. The Quarterdeck was closed on one evening, On Thursday afternoon we were told that the bar was closing at the Merkanti Beach Club at 3 pm and were not given a reason.

On our second last day, on the Saturday the main pool area was completely closed from 4pm. We had chosen to go out in a boat that day so it didn't affect us too much but again for others am sure it did.

Every night there is a function there is very very loud music til 12. Then it stops. If you happen to have a room right above the infinity pool you would get no sleep til after midnight.

Blue Elephant; We had enjoyed two meals here at the beginning of our stay and we booked again for another night requesting an outside table as before. When we arrived at the restaurant we were told we couldn't have an outside table as it was 'first come first served'….I explained that this was our third visit to no avail. We were left at a table inside and the service was very poor. No prawn crackers given and service was slow. Very disappointing.I don't understand how you can have people in the hotel booking in advance and then not giving them an outside table.

The hotel is still good, the pools are lovely and the staff mostly are friendly. We still like the Classic Rooms as they have a good sea view.

The one thing that disappointed me this visit tho was as a returning customer and Honors Member the fact that we were there for the 6th time was never mentioned. I had been in contact with Reservations prior to our arrival and they were aware of it. So therefore I did expect either an upgrade or some acknowledgment of our continued business. For instance last year I stayed at the Marriott in Quincy in Boston. On my second visit this year, they remembered me and gave me free WIFI for our entire stay. Small things mean a lot. So Hilton let me down this time. The Hotel was also only 75% full so that is not the reason.

We found the Concierge to be very informative and helpful.

All in all it was a good stay but Hilton would really need to welcome back customers who keep returning.

Room Tip: High level is best.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank scarke
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear scarke,

Thank you very much for your comments.
First of all may I say how sorry and saddened I am that you left the hotel not feeling valued. Your loyalty towards the Hilton chain and especially towards Hilton Malta is of great value to us.

May I kindly ask you to contact me directly for your future stays so that I personally make sure that you recieve the benefits you are entitled too.

I thank you once again for your time and look forward to hear from you.

Pwllheli, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We spent a wonderful Easter at the hotel. We had a 'contemporary' room looking over the sea views were spectacular with king size bed and spacious balcony. Bathroom had twin sinks, bath, walk in shower and toilet. It was really lovely to look out over the sea from the bathroom and bedroom (through the bedroom screen). Breakfast was plentiful and delicious. We also upgraded to Half Board which was varied and plentiful with themed nights. Musicians played at evening meal times creating a romantic ambience.The rooms were well equipped with iron and ironing board, mini bar, tea and coffee facilities. We were also spoilt with waiter service bringing us breakfast in bed at no additional charge. If you are visiting at Easter I would recommend checking the various parades and firework displays (well worth seeing). I can't wait to return again.

Room Tip: The contemporary rooms are better for those who have mobility difficulties as the showers are large...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon212014
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Sharon212014,

Thank you!
We can't wait to welcome you back!

Your detailed description of our hotel and your experience in it is highly appreciated. We are very happy to have made your stay a perfect one!

Should you need any assistance with regards to your future booking, please feel free to contact me anytime.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Hotel Juliani
#2 of 34 in Saint Julian's
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,316 reviews
Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort

Been to Hilton Malta? Share your experiences!