“Hilton do not look after their regular customers - complaint unsolved and my original review has disappeared...”
Review of Hilton Malta

Hilton Malta
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I booked the Hilton through an independent travel agent to stay there for 11 nights in June. We have stayed at this hotel for the previous three years. When we got there, we were told that there was no booking made in our name and after four hours they told us they could only offer accommodation for us in a couple of days’ time and at much higher price than what we had paid, which was not acceptable for us as we had paid our holiday upfront. I have seen in other reviews, they could have upgraded us but they just didn’t seem to want to help us. We have since complained to the Malta Hilton about this directly and to Hilton head office but the person from Malta Hilton was insistent that they had tried to help us and offered us no apology, just basically saying that we were wrong! We have heard nothing from Hilton head office. I have since found out that they did take the booking and the travel agents said that the Hilton were unreliable and that they are no longer dealing with them. I do not know who to believe, but I feel the Hilton could have helped us more than they did, so I will certainly never be returning to the Hilton or any other Hilton (which we used to use quite regularly). Very strange that my original complaint which I posted on Trip Advisor has now disappeared!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Nicola G
MariaGhebresselasie, Director of Operations at Hilton Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Nicola G

We express our regrets at your continued disappointment; it is clear that despite our conversation, you feel that the matter is still unresolved.

As we discussed the challenge we encountered upon your arrival stemmed from the fact that the travel agency never booked a room for you at the Hilton Malta. Regretfully given the high occupancy, you were offered the only available room on arrival which was a suite. This was offered for the first three nights and an executive room for the remaining of your stay. I understand from our conversation that this was not made clear to you and I am sorry for that.

As the option offered was not acceptable to you, we assisted you in making alternative arrangements in another hotel close by. We personally called the Duty Manager of this hotel to ensure that you had a hassle free stay especially given how your holiday had begun.

Once again I regret that you feel that on this occasion we did not value and care for you. I hope that the agent has been able to offer you some kind of explanation as to what happened and that they too have tried to make it right for you.

Should you wish to return to Malta once again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly on maria.ghebresselasie@hilton.com and I will be more than happy to assist with the reservation and offer you an upgraded room with VIP status and access to the executive lounge as it is my most profound desire to be of assistance.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your summer and if there is anything else that you feel we should do please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Regards

Maria Ghebresselasie
Director of Operations

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I had a short break here, staff were among the most professional in the hospitality industry. Hotel view and overall experience was outstanding. Negative points were the breakfast chefs were slightly disappointing as they can't fry an egg and no free Wi-Fi in the room. The exec lounge was great, though due to it offering free refreshments at certain times, it did get a bit busy with people abusing the "free" aspect. The hotel is expensive but so is any place that you find exclusivity!! Would I go again?? YES!! Highly recommended for a relaxing, quiet and luxurious break!!

Room Tip: Choose one of the contemporary rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TripMember05212015
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear WTF04,

Thank you for taking the time to share your first experience at our hotel, The Hilton Malta!.
The team thank you for your very kind comments and promise you to follow up on the observations you have passed on.

We are glad that, even though you have experienced some "shortfalls" during your stay, you still would return to our property and hope that that would be very soon!

Kind regards
Anne Marie Scicluna
Guest Relations

Reviewed 27 July 2014

After staying at Hilton Malta a couple of years ago we decided to come back again but this time with all the family. 10 of us were staying, Ann marie on reception was in contact with us before the holiday to make sure that all the family were staying in rooms close to each other. One of our rooms even had an internal door so we could go through to my grandparents room without even leaving our front door. We had all seaview rooms which are well worth upgrading to, although marina view has charms of its own and is just as fantastic. Rooms are very clean and the housekeeping team do a fantastic job every day and they need some extra credit. The pool staff are always more than happy to help you move and put up your poolside "brollys" and someone is always around if you need something to eat or drink. Great hotel to relax in at night with a great lobby bar which serves a range of drinks and is open until late. Breakfast is easy, efficent and plentyfull with more than enough to choose from. Cooked food is hot and tasty and a chef just dedicated to eggs will cook them to your liking. FREE internet is for all guests in the public areas which is great if you are just checking emails like i was and things like that. Unfortuantly you have to pay for it in your rooms which i dont mind but it was a little expencive. Overall the hotel is fantastic for all ages. With 4 or 5 pools to choose from, a gym, various resaurants and bars and being in St.Julians is great for eating out too. Would definatly reccomend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are fantastic 640 is great as the balcony has railings so you can wake up and look ri...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jah1994
alastair_morin, Front Office Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear jah1994,

Thanks for reviewing on Tripadvisor,

I am delighted to read that you have decided to come back to visited us again after a few years and that your stay was excellent.

I am happy to read that Anne Marie took care of your stay by being in contact with you before and during your stay to make it as memorable as possible.

Thank you for your nice comment on our pool and housekeeping team, they will be proud to read about your feedback.

on a separate note, we took good note of your comment regarding the internet fee in the room.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed at the Hilton for three nights at the end of a trip around Sicily and Malta and it was a fantastic way to finish our holiday. We had a sea view room on the sixth floor and the view was incredible. It was lovely just to relax on the balcony for an hour or so in the evening.

The facilities at the hotel are first-rate. The pools are great - we mainly used the adults pool and the one at the beach club on the bottom level. We particularly enjoyed relaxing on the loungers right at the seafront with incredible views of the Med and Malta. We ate lunch at the beach club restaurant one day and the food was very good. The cocktail bar overlooking the marina is lovely too. All the staff were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. We skipped on the breakfast as it was expensive - there are a couple of great bakeries within 2 minutes walking distance that sell great pastizzi for €0.30 each.

We did have a few of issues with the hotel however. Most importantly, there were two weddings on when we stayed and the noise from the disco was ridiculously loud until about midnight. Not good if you are in a room - like us - directly over the party. I don't know why they don't hold the receptions at the beach club which is further away from the hotel. It isn't too much of an issue if you're not going to sleep until midnight, but if you are trying to get to bed earlier it would be impossible to sleep. It is really not fair of the hotel management to impose this on its guests. It's also not fair on the staff who have to deal with all the complaints.

We also got put in an awful room to begin with. We had paid for a sea view and the hotel originally tried to put us on the third floor which is on the pool level. You might be able to see the sea here - if you stand on a table and squint. Being on the pool level too, the room had no privacy whatsoever. They quickly moved us to a better room but I would stress to the hotel that you don't want to be on the third floor.

There are also a couple of other things I didn't like. The signs warning you not to eat or drink your own food at the pool are unnecessary. I seriously doubt anyone would turn up with a full picnic, but so what if people want to bring their own water or a soft drink. There is also a warning stating that if you remove anything from the minibar to use it for your own stuff they will charge you something like €25. There is no need for the hotel to behave in this crass way.

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor and if you are concerned about any noise from weddings, go for a marina view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank djsage86

Dear djsage86,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on tripadvisor.

I am delighted to read about your nice feedback regarding our hotel facilities. i am happy to see that our Pools and restaurants suits perfectly your needs.

Even if your stay did not start very well with your room which was not up to your expectations, i am glad that our team find a rooms that suits your expectations, Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by changing room.

We took good note of your comment regarding the inconvenience caused by the noise from the wedding by the pool. I am really sorry that on saturday night you have been disturbed by the noise coming the wedding functions and sincerely hope that this did not stain your perception of our hotel.

May I please ask you to contact me for when travels bring you back to Malta as I will be delighted to handle it personnaly.

With my warm regards,

Reviewed 27 July 2014

The hotel cannot cater for the amount of guests. There's long queues for the check in desk and horrendous breakfast queues. Then, they promise an 'executive ' lounge, which is so full, you can't even sit down, with no food offered in the afternoons.

It is far too expensive for what you get, it doesn't match up to the description on the internet and we found an alternative down the road for half the price and arguably double the standard.

The pools were nice, good temperature but unfortunately the staff were rude. Also, there was a sewage smell in certain parts of the hotel.

I think it would be better suited for families with young kids, but I would not recommend it for more mature families looking for luxury, as we were disappointed with our stay.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Di D
Anne Marie S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Di D,

Whilst thanking you for taking the time to share your experience and observations, I feel very disappointed that we have not managed to meet your expectations.
Our hotel aims to exceed every guest's requirements and from your write up it clearly shows that we did not succeed.

Di D may I kindly ask you to email me directly as I really wish to clarify and if possible rectify any shortfalls.

I look forward to hear from you.
Kind regards

Anne Marie Scicluna
Guest Relations

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Having visited the hotel in both of the last two summers, we again visited the Hilton St Julians, in terms of location and facilities no other hotel can compare to it. The bus stop is a 2 minute walk, there is a supermarket within a minute of leaving the hotel lobby. It's surrounded by well maintained apartments and a beautiful marina. The hotel is in prime location to experience both old and new Malta within seconds of leaving the hotel. Having stayed in a suite overlooking the hotels pools and gardens in 2012, both last and this year we stayed in the same Panoramic Suite. This featured a large balcony with spectacular views of Spinola and Beluta Bay, as well as the hotel's gardens and pools and of the casino and into St George's Bay. The whole 180 degree view is truly spectacular and unrivalled.

In terms of the room itself, it was as ever spotlessly clean. The room however is specified to be for 4 adults, there was a distinct lack of towels and general amenities in the room. There was 1 King size bed and 2, what can only be described as camp beds. For my younger brother this was fine as there was a sizeably thick mattress for somebody of his size. However, for myself who weighs 12 stone the bed was less than sturdy or comfortable. Half way during the week long stay my brothers bed needed replacing as it had collapsed. From the balcony, could be heard a club from across the bay playing extremely loud music from the hours of 6pm through to the early hours making sleeping less than an easy task.

For all who stay in executive suites there is a lounge where you can access free Wifi and food and drink throughout the day. On both previous visits, beer was served throughout the day but, this year unbeknown to us when booking, a small range of alcohol was only offered during the 'pre-dinner' session between 6-8pm. This was a severe let down, and a step down from previous years, the selection of alcohol and food in general had been reduced throughout the whole day and week. Also, the standard and enforcement of a dress code seemed to have gone completely out of the window, along with the clientele full stop. The lounge had seemingly been opened to what seemed like the drunk party animals of a Magaluf nightclub. The exclusivity of the lounge seems to have been taken a large demise. For the tariff of over 700€ a night, it does not seem as good or as luxury as in previous years.

Finally, a note to the state and maintenance (or lack of) of the gardens and pools. Having visited before, both I and my family have noticed some little details that may not come to eye on first glance. Some of the walls and gardens look like they need to be tamed and could do with a new lick of paint. For the 5 star standard and the high rates these things one would hope, should have been addressed more openly and quickly. And one more grim note, during the stay and having been in and around the Horizon pool all week, not once but twice, the pool guards had to remove human excrement from the pool, this not only but off my family but several others and in such a high standard hotel not exactly what you expect, whether it be a young child or not.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Adam M
alastair_morin, Front Office Manager at Hilton Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Adam M,

thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am distresseed to read that some aspects of your stay did not met your expectations compared to the previous years.

May I kindly ask you to contact me directly in order to review in more details your feedback, your comment is really important to us in order to better understand the shortfalls you experienced during your stay and rectify them.

Thank you in advance for your loyalty and looking forward to hearing from you.

With my kind regards,

alastair.morin@hilton.com
Front office manager

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This is a lovely hotel. Great staff, great property.

We stayed on level 10, had a superb room and view, and enjoyed all the features of the Executive lounge.

Only problem was the weddings held here. Every night. Sometimes they closed off the pool area to paying guests for a wedding. Surely your regular guests are worth more than this passing trade? You have a good product, don't ruin it

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Viva2004

Dear Viva2004,

Thank you for reviewing on tripadvisor,

I am delighted to read that you had a lovely room on our level 10th with a nice view and access to our Executive Lounge. I am happy to read that our facilities met your expectations.

Thank you again for your loyalty towards our hotel, please rest assured that we really wants our customer to feel at home, We took good note of your comment regarding the wedding and Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused on this occasion.

please feel free to contact me for any future reservation or assistance.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Warm regards,

Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema

Been to Hilton Malta? Share your experiences!