I do quite a lot of travelling for both business and vacation and I always take earplugs with me, they are essential equipment for any traveller. Happily its rare for me to use them but they were certainly needed for my stay at the "Golden Tulip". The walls are so thin I was woken by the person in the next room snoring! Who wants to stay in a hotel with cardboard walls?
The room was disappointing, small double bed, feeble shower, nasty plastic toilet seat. The public areas are "tired". Breakfast is buffet style with plenty of good food on offer. I tried the dinner once in the ground floor restaurant, that was buffet as well. Part of the idea of a hotel is that you are waited on and looked after...? Not at this hotel - you have to get everything yourself!
A particular bugbear for me is the charges hotels make for internet wi-fi access. Most do it and it's nearly always a rip-off. The Golden Tulip is one of these, charging a huge 9EUR for "one day access". It doesn't meter the access and the next day it's gone whether you have used up the allowance or not. Other hotels manage to provide a metered allowance so this is just lazy profiteering by the Golden Tulip. They do offer a "1 hr surf" for 3 euros but this of course runs out before you know it without warning which isn't great if you are working online.
My company booked me into the Golden Tulip as they got a really good rate. I can understand why. Its a shadow of the grand ambitious hotel I'm guessing it was maybe 15-20 years ago. It is a cheap rate but it tries hard to make extra cash by additional charges for everything it can think of. I overheard one guest asking for the loan of a travel plug adapter and she was charged 5 euros for it! There's also an "excursions" desk in reception - never a good sign - and I bet this is hell bent on signing up guests to various cash-extracting tourist trips.
To be fair, The Golden Tulip is very cheap compared to some of it's neighbours. But my goodness, it shows.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Golden Tulip Vivaldi Hotel - International Standards, local flavours. An unmatched option for business and leisure travellers in the heart of Malta's popular district, St. Julian's. Situated very close to the sparkling sea, the hotel promises stunning views and a genuine Mediterranean atmosphere. It is also very close to a number of amenities including the casino, cinema, bowling alley, tennis courts, shops, restaurants and banks. The hotel has 263 elegant rooms - many with panoramic sea views. We offer three dining options within the hotel - Antonio's , our main restaurant, Rhapsody Cafe and Settimo Cielo - our rooftop a la carte eatery which is open during the summer. Thanks to the magical atmosphere of our roof deck and our excellent in house facilities, we are proud to be a top choice for business meetings, functions & Weddings in Malta. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, TravelUp, Odigeo, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Golden Tulip Vivaldi Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Tulip Saint Julians
- Saint Julians Golden Tulip
- Vivaldi Hotel Malta
- Golden Tulip Saint Julian's
- Saint Julian's Golden Tulip
- Golden Tulip Vivaldi Hotel Malta