“nice hotel, horrid standard rooms”

Golden Tulip Vivaldi Hotel
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The staff is very friendly. Breakfast was as good, even for us who prefer a vegetarian meal at breakfast, but the 2 standard rooms we got for our family of 4 were sub-standard. The rooms seemed to be less than clean. The toilets had flushing problems. We could hear singing and shouting from the streets at 2 a.m. in the morning - keeping you awake. The mattresses were not comfortable and in need of replacement. When we asked to change the rooms were told that the hotel is fukk but we could upgrade for a charge to better rooms. Not sure they would be cleaner, maybe just the view would change.
The hotel is rated 4 stars, we would say 3 stars or less because of the problems described above.
Some of the lifts did not work. Electricity went off for upto minutes at a time.
The top floor swimming pool has a great view but is pretty small. The undergroung pool
and jacuzzi are nice and cute but not always heated. Foodwise, they have above average resatuarants with nice views of the sea, prices were reasonable.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are quiter as there are no pubs or restaurants below
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,348)

Reviewed 14 July 2013

As a constant business visitor to Malta and someone who stays in hotels as my travels dictate, it takes a lot to impress me.
Walking in through the main door, I stopped and looked.... WOW! Impressive!
Check-in... super fast, delayed only by the speed of me filling in the registration form!
The receptionist... makes sure you don't leave until she explains where everything is, restaurant timings, where the bars are, where the gym and swimming pools are, and what happening today (the day you arrive)... Excellent!
Hotel internet.. depending on your room, grade of package some pay, some don't, however I found it to be very slow, but better than nothing.

Layout.... very good.... lifts on both side of reception to the rooms above.
Room.... Big and clean. Bathroom very clean. However, the room and hotel (as was pointed out to me by the General Manager) is due for a make over.
The room has a fridge, but no tea/coffee making facilities
Yes, it could do with some love and attention.. but a busy hotel does take a lot of knocks along the way.
The lifts... could do with newer ones.. somewhat erratic in their function... but not annoying!

Food.. my favourite subject! I arrived on a Saturday, and in the restaurant it was Italian Night.
Good food, lots of it and well cooked in front of you and well presented.
Impressed? Yes, and the restaurant staff we very attentive and happy, plus the chefs cooking fresh in the middle of the restaurant also very friendly and attentive. Nothing was to much trouble.

I mentioned the General Manager. It is always good to see the General Manager leading from the front, and he was the duty manager the night I stayed. I watched him talk to guests, carry bags, check guests in and out, carry coffee to tables and run a private BBQ for 200 plus on the roof top.
We did speak for a while and he informed me that there is a work in progress for the hotel, to upgrade and makeover many of the rooms and hotel facilities. I for one can't wait to see them.

Breakfast... was ok....however the staff were a bit TOO keen to clear my table, while I was gone for more coffee or another course. I put that down to a junior with desire to impress her supervisor. Also the hotel is busy, so an empty table means someone else can sit had have breakfast.

I found the staff very friendly, and that is usually a reflection of the management... helpful and smiling.

If you are expecting a quiet hotel, then it is and its not. Reception as you would imagine is very busy. The restaurant was noisy only because I went early as it opened, along with the families with small and young children, who let it be known when they don't like the food they are given!
The rooms and corridors very quiet and the window to the balcony is double-double glazed. It keep out the heat and the noise.

Would I stay here again? Yes without any hesitation.

Room Tip: there are sea view rooms, but I think there is a cost factor to having one.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Brich57
GoldenTulipVivaldi, guest relation officer at Golden Tulip Vivaldi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments and we were delighted to read of your enjoyable stay at the Golden Tulip Vivaldi.

Thank you for complimenting our staff aswel as the General Manager who do their utmost to meet our guests needs and requests.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Kind Regards,

Alison Galea (guest relation offcer)

Reviewed 10 July 2013

I have juste returned from a weeks stay at the vivaldi and was very impressed. Firstly I am a young single traveller and after reading reviews about Libiyan refuggees and the lack of cleaniness of the hotel was quite nervous HOWEVER from someone who works for Mandarin Oriental hotel chain I found it difficult to fault this hotel. I arrived early at 11.30am and my room was ready and could therefore spend the day with my friends. The room was very spacious and clean and my maid Lilian was great. The fitness centre was ok but the staff there are amazing, I highly reccommend to get a deep tissue massage from Joseph. He ia exceptionally talented. John in fitness centre was also very helpful and very friendly. I cannot emphaisise how friendly the staff are here, they are a true asset to the hotel. As regards location its perfect for cocktail bars etc but it may not be ideal location if your over 50 and looking for peace and quiet. I think that some of the negative reviews on here are from older guests. As for the Libiyan refugees, no problems at all, they are not intimidating and did not cause any problems.All in all I will be coming back to this hotel, I really enjoyed it.

Room Tip: ask for a room not on the main street.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank umw81
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We had a week's stay at The Golden Tulip with Riviera Travel and enjoyed our Malta holiday. The hotel was not perfect but had it's good points. The evening dinner was good with a good salad choice, good soups and always a choice of a roast or Italian fare as well as other choices. The breakfasts were disappointing particularly the very watery fruit juice. Sitting areas were limited (no nice lounge) but there is a superb roof bar (ideal in the heat) but one was never sure when it was open in the evening - sometimes it was and it said so in the lift poster but other times it wasn't. I left a valuable item behind and the staff were very helpful in returning it too me. The location was not ideal but great views from the roof bar! The Riviera tour and guides were excellent.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NigelBos

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to share your experience at The Golden Tulip Vivaldi on trip advisor.

We have noted your comments and have been shared with the management team.

Kind Regards,

Alison Galea ( guest relation officer)

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Upon arrival at the Hotel at 10pm we were quickly checked in and went to our room. We had to use two separate lifts, the first from reception takes you to floor 3 then you walk along a corrider for the next lift to the higher floors and vice versa on the way down, it was a bit confusing for a while. We had booked a superior double sea view and this is what we got. The room was spacious and clean, but does lack the facilities of tea/coffee making machine. The bathroom again ok but the shower is attached to the taps and the hose is an off yellow colour. The hotels' location is not too noisey but our room was on the quieter street although the roads are so busy with traffic and they bang their horns in annoyance so its not that peaceful. Their are a lot of noisey bars etc a street or so away but we did not hear too much from that once inside our room. Like someone else has said Malta is very busy, there's not much space and you just get the feeling there are too many people and cars in such a small area. We did use the rooftop pool which was very nice and although not a big area there were always sunbeds no matter what time of day you turned up. We ate lunch at the rooftop terrace which was very nice, and reasonably priced. Their is also no safe in your room, you can hire one from reception and it is located behind a locked door at reception, you keep one key and you need a receptionist to open your box with you, so not that convenient and they charge 2 - 3 euros a day for this. Again there is no free Wifi in any areas and you pay on an hourly basis. The only other thing we weren't impressed with is that check out is 11am, they say you can pay to keep the room longer if you have a late check out ( at a charge of course) but when I asked as the Hotel was full that day we could not keep our room and as our flight was not until 9.30pm it was a long day without a room, and there was no courtesy room available and we ended up showering and changing at the rooftop pool showers (which are mixed showers)On the whole we enjoyed our stay at the Hotel but would not return to Malta. If you do stay at this Hotel I would suggest you upgrade and pay for a superior sea view as these as by far the best the others did not have good views, you pay what you get for though.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior sea view on a high floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ang12333
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Just come back from a nice weeks stay at this hotel.
Nice room, nice staff and good value for what we paid.
We stayed in a superior sea view room which was great.
Nice clean room with lots of space and a wonderful view.
In my opinion it needs tea and coffee facilities and a safe in the room and not downstairs.
Normally when you pay for a better hotel you get free wifi in a designated spot but unfortunately you have to pay here :(
Overall really nice stay.. Thank you.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank pricey1966

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback where we are pleased that your overall experience was a positive one.

Kind Regards,

Alison Galea(guest relation officer)

Reviewed 3 July 2013

Although the hotel is not too bad, the location is noisy, crowded, claustrophobic and unpleasant. We did not care for Malta generally, but this location was the most unpleasant.
Avoid the 'hop-on, hop-off' and the general service buses. Our experience of these could only be described as an ordeal!
The hotel room was a good size, but cleanliness left a little to be desired. Food was disappointing, the evening buffet main course being particularly poor.
The cost of Wi-Fi was a rip-off.
There was an annoying fault with the lift control button for the complete duration of our stay, despite this being reported on our arrival..

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends