“Lovely food”

Sale e Pepe Tradizione Italiana
Ranked #11 of 304 Restaurants in Saint Julian's
Price range: US$37 - US$54
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings, View, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Sale e Pepe Tradizione Italiana is a typical Italian Restaurant for all the family, with the advantage of having the picturesque view of the award winning Portomaso Yacht Marina.Sale e Pepe is the ideal place for a casual or a business lunch as well as a romantic dinner.Sale e Pepe Tradizione Italiana accepts all types of groups; small and large groups. Exclusivity of the venue, for staff parties or birthday parties, during opening hours is also considered.The menu at the Sale e Pepe Tradizione Italiana is varied and includes homemade pasta, fresh fish catch of the day and meat. Your choice for lunch could include a light starter such as the "Beef Carpaccio with rocket leaves and parmesan shavings", followed by a delicious plate of "Rigatoni alla Burina, with sausage, mascarpone, mushrooms and parmesan cheese" or the "Homemade Fettuccine with courgettes and prawns".For a more comprehensive meal you could go for the "Steamed Mussels and Clams served with wine, garlic, chilli and fresh tomato sauce " or the "Gnocchi with aubergines, buffalo mozzarella and cherry tomatoes"In true Italian style there are several pasta dishes to choose from such as: "Spaghetti Carbonara" ,"Risotto with Sardinia Saffron" and "Pappardelle with Rabbit Ragu`" . For those who prefer stuffed pasta we offer "Homemade Ravioli filled with Maltese ricotta in a tomato and basil sauce".Fresh catch of the day is offered depending on what the market offers. Fish dishes on the menu include "Grilled Calamari", "Sole Meuniere" and Sale e Pepe Tradizione Italiana's specilaity: the "Fillet of Salmon cooked in olive oil and tyme in a potato crust".For patrons preferring red meat, the "Black Angus Beef Fillet" and the "Carved Prime Irish Beef with rocket and cherry tomatoes" are available and can be complemented with any of our variety of sauces. House specialites are: the "Pork Cotoletta alla Milanese" and the "Slow cooked braised Lamb shank with potato mash". For those who prefer white meat the "Chicken casserole alla Romana", and the "Veal Escalope with creamy lemon juice" are also a must.Sale e Pepe Tradizione Italiana has recently been awarded with the certification "Marchio di Ospitalita` Italiana" among the Quality Approved Italian Restaurants project in Malta.
North Pole, Alaska
“Lovely food”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We went late an nearly could not get a table. Food was really lovely but they give you the usual complementary dishes you do not ask for like a basket of bread and there was soooo much! We only wanted light meal. Also I personally did not like having football a large telescreen above me - there are plenty of sports bars outside for that.

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
“Luxurious location, terrible service”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The location and view from the outdoor seating is absolutely luxurious and impressive. Food at the restaurant is okay, but the service is below what one should expect, given the price and location. It seemed like waiters were running around in circles, with guests not being able to catch their attention. We had to wait 15 minutes for the bill, after trying to get a waiter to our table for 10 minutes. Be aware that they do charge a small entrance-fee per person (it is clearly stated on the menu outside the restaurant, but still comes as a minor surprise compared to other restaurants without this fee).

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank christiangrande
aellul, Owner at Sale e Pepe Tradizione Italiana, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear reviewer.

For clarity's sake we do not charge an "Entrance fee" but we have a "Cover charge" which clearly states on our menu what our customers have in return of this.

I do regret that the service did not live up to your expectancies on the night.
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent sea food”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Very nice restaurant and excellent sea food. good value for money. Service and location was excellent

Saint Julian's, Malta
“What a disaster!”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Went to Sale e Pepe tonight for a final meal before my son goes to Brazil, and the service was truly awful. First of all we waited for the food for almost an hour, and then when my son's Angus fillet steak arrived it was completely dry, overcooked and like an old boot. My son had asked for medium. We swiftly asked for a replacement meal and was told it would take 10 minutes. After 15 minutes we were told it would take another 3 minutes. However, the meal didn't arrive in time and everybody else had finished their meals. They did offer another meal but it was too late. When the bill came, they even charged the cover charge for all persons. Safe to say I will not be returning any time soon. The food that did arrive was good but the experience was simply awful and the special evening was ruined.

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank Angelamahon
aellul, Owner at Sale e Pepe Tradizione Italiana, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Destructive criticism such as I read in your review is most unfortunate but a reality with people who use their “keyboard” to harm rather than to be objective when reviewing a restaurant or anything else at that for the benefit of one and all.

I maintain that “human error” is acceptable in any kitchen and happens to the best of us, however your tone of writing is unacceptable to me and I do hope you never visit any of my restaurants in Portomaso not only any time soon but ever.

Your attitude speaks for itself and whilst I do admit that my kitchen staff did make a mistake may I assure you and whoever stated to my headwaiter in the presence of my son that my chef was either “angry or drunk” that my staff are professional and not inclined to any of these habits.

Decent manners should prevail in all walks of life and your type of arrogance is not something I welcome in my outlets not now and not ever.

May I reiterate that your custom is not welcome in any of my outlets in Portomaso.
kent United kingdom
“Good restaurant with excellent food”
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Eaten here previously on our visits to Malta and once again not disappointed no starter this time as we learnt that the nibbles provided make up for one and then you are able to relax and enjoy your mains and dessert can only say staff and food top quality