This is my second stay on the island. The first one was at Le Meridien (see my review) and it wasn’t a very good experience. Although I’m willing to give Le Meridien a second chance, I also wanted this second stay to be much better, even flawless if possible.
As usual, I checked TripAdvisor’s members comments for the other Starwood Properties, and found The Westin Dragonara. The reviews were quite great so I decided to go for it.
I emailed the Westin to check out what kind of special package they can offer to a platinum member. I mean, I’m very faithful to SPG, to say the least, and most of the time I’m treated like a true VIP. In Warsaw in example, they always allocate the second best suite of the hotel to me each time I go there.
I got in touch with The Westin Dragonara on October 5th initially. As they didn’t get back to me (because of the week-end schedules I presume), I ended up booking it anyway on October the 6th. I had no choice but to book a place as the plane was already scheduled.
From there I got very nice replies from ALEXIA BUGEJA and STEPHANIE MICALLEF and both assured me they would follow the reservation very closely.
Dates of stay:
From October 25th till October 29th, four nights.
This is a resort type, with 2 pools, access to the sea, so it is of course not really discreet.
Still, the main building looks quite nice for such a big property.
One hell of an area! Walking distance from the center of St Julians where the shops, bars and restaurants are. It’s also the spot where the action takes place during the evening.
Sounds like it could be a bit noisy? Not at all. The Westin is very close, but still very quite as it located on a “private spot” and the rumors of the action aren’t even heard.
I would rate the area 5/5: you have it all. Action, shopping and peace.
Very nice interior design, with a huge BUT freezing lobby. Reception and concierge area is wide enough not to feel packed while waiting and the rest of the ground floor is mainly the lobby bar which is very large opening on a very large terrace.
The corridors and the hotel in general feel very 4-5 stars.
The check in:
Yanice took care of our check in which was very fast and friendly. As we were without luggage, lost in transit once again with Lufthansa, we asked for an “emergency kit.
We had to remind her to give it after she kindly explained the resort facilities but we received tooth brushes and paste and a razor…we were hoping that they would provide some extra stuff, but, in the end, it’s not a big deal to go for shopping for essentials.
I also asked for an ashtray as all rooms feature a balcony but that was never delivered in time.
When we arrived in the room, as the ashtray never showed up, I called Express Service and asked for it again, as well as a second pair of slippers, a bathrobe and some more shampoo and shower gel.
They delivered the ashtray quickly but nothing else. When we came back after midnight I had to call again to get the rest which was finally delivered.
It’s not a big deal of course, but it’s a bit annoying to have to remind them again, specially that we felt miserable without our own stuff stuck in Frankfurt.
Oh, and yes, we were having our phones, cameras and computers with us but no adaptors. When we got back to the room. Two were delivered for us. Note that they charge a deposit and that it was not on the bill. There is no charge thus.
I have to mention that we received a very nice welcome package delivered to our room with a note signed by the general manager in person (I mean hand signed in blue ink, not a copy).
Room 827, on the top floor of the building. I was upgraded to an Executive room which also give access to the Executive Lounge.
I was a little disappointed by the room as I hoped to get a suite, even junior, but apparently the upgrades in Malta’s Starwoods properties for Platinum are only from basic to Executive rooms.
Another thing I didn’t like is that we were put in a double queen bed room, and not a single king bedroom. So, we ended up to sleep in different beds :-((
The room itself is large and feature the usual Executive/Club rooms furniture. Armchair, table, desk and chairs, closets and drawers.
One thing is quite stupid these days though: there is only one power plug at the desk and one behind a bed! 2 for 6 appliances, that was quite tricky.
The balcony was quite comfortable, with a table and two chairs and a real great full view on the pools and the sea.
Was working perfectly and that is important because it’s 27°C these days
The bathroom is quite small with a bath, a single sink and a toilet. The shower in the bath is again wall mounted which is a shame. For some reason, after each bath or shower, there was a lot of water on the floor. Luckily, it was under the sink.
Another thing is the sewage smell in the bathroom. Not so strong but not very nice either.
Though the room was for two persons, on top of the lack of a second bathrobe and pair of slippers, we were having only one shower gel and shampoo bottle.
This is really greedy, especially when you lack your baggage.
They were perfect, as usual in the Westin.
Served in the Executive Lounge, I was very pleased to see that it wasn’t as poor as the one from Le Meridien Malta.
The choice is wide and the lounge quite nice with a large terrace.
There are several restaurants and bars as it is a resort. We didn’t check them though except the lobby and pool bars. Drinks were great and food was too.
The Club Lounge:
The place is very nice, as mentioned, with a large terrace and three sofa areas on top of around 10 tables and chairs.
There are two computers and a printer.
One thing is apparently a Maltese habit: you have a breakfast until 10:30 AM and a Happy Hour from 6 till 8 PM and the rest of the day there is not even a soft drink. Only water and coffee. I have to say that the Happy Hour is fabulous with lots of appetizers wine, soft, beers and alcohol.
Swimming Pools, Seaside
There are two outdoor pools. One is restricted for kids, but was closed due to the time of the year I guess. Both are large and very nice. There is also an access to the sea. Malta has almost no sandy beaches. And, in this area of the island, people simply use the rocks for sunbathing. The Westin spot is very comfortable with sunbeds.
Simple and quick. The bill was correct too.
I really liked:
- It is so common to mention, but it deserves to be mentioned. Once again, thumbs up for the staff. Their friendly attitude and professionalism is occulting the minor bugs of our stay.
- The resort itself which is very nice to discover and trust me it is quite large. The fact that it is large I never felt like there were so many people in the place. Even the lobby bar huge terrace when busy, is very quite and lovely. Same for the pool bar or the pool and beach area.
- The interior design
- The location: if you go straight ahead you will be in the crazy PaceVille area where evenings are just like a Pattaya atmosphere. If you go to the left you will have grocery stores, shops, a small port with restaurants and terraces.
I really disliked:
- The elevators: only two for such a building is a guarantee to have to wait.
- The room service on the first day. The following days were perfect though.
- The Air Conditioning in the lobby. It’s freezing.
All the best
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Suffused with the clear stillness of our refreshing seaside location, The Westin Dragonara Resort is a place where nothing matters except your delight. The resort rests on its 74,000 square metre peninsula like a crown jewel, with the azure waters of the Mediterranean lapping against two private beach lidos, their outdoor pools, gorgeous views and direct access to the sea. Recharge in our WestinWORKOUT® gym. Entertainment abounds, with diving, watersports, and Malta’s historic casino ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Expedia, Starwood EMEA, Odigeo, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta Hotel Saint Julian`s
- Westin Dragonara Resort Malta
- Westin Dragonara Hotel Malta
- Dragonara Resort Malta
- Westin Saint Julian's
- Saint Julian's Westin
- Westin Dragonara Malta