“Great hotel”

Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

Stayed a couple of days at this wonderful hotel. Just great! Had a very big room for our family of 4. Very spacious fitness studio. Lovely pools. Good and not very expansive restaurants. Kids loved the breakfast buffet. 1st class staff. Will definitely come return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
MicallefStephanie, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Meier_st,

Thank you for your comments and for sharing your experience at the resort with fellow travellers.

We are very happy to read that you and your family have enjoyed your stay at the resort and look forward to welcome you back.

Stephanie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I had a very good experience visiting the Westin Dragonara for the first time and I will definitely come back. The location close to the sea was perferct ,stunning room with large balcony overviewing the Mediterranean ocean. The restaurants were very good and the service was above expectations. Very good location close to St. Julians with lots of nice rstaurants . I can really recommend this hotel and I will come back as soon as I get an opportunity .

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kirsten A
MicallefStephanie, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Kirsten A,

We are very happy to read in your review that you had a very good experience at the resort and that you plan to return should you have the opportunity.

Thank you for sharing your comments with fellow travellers and for choosing the Westin Dragonara Resort for your stay on the Island. The resort indeed enjoys a great location close to the centre of St. Julian’s; sitting on a peninsula enjoying wonderful sea views.

We look very forward in welcoming you back to the resort in the future. Should you plan a return visit please do not hesitate to contact me directly on stephanie.micallef@westin.com

Be well
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

This hotel is unique in that it has the quietest rooms you could hope to sleep in. The sound proofing is excellent. The rooms are very clean and amply sized. The staff are friendly and attentive. We booked Bed and breakfast only but found that we dined quite often in the hotel. The verandah attached to the lobby bar served good meals.

The only gripe I had with the hotel was the fine dining experience in its exclusive restaurant. I asked for lamb from the menu and was told they had none left. Then the wine I wanted from the list was also unavailable. In the light of this experience I would recommend dining at the lobby bar, as recommended above.

On the whole it is a good spot. A lot of the reviews reflect on which rooms to book. Any room facing the outside pool area will be sufficient and most have balconies. Don't worry which side you book as the courtyard layout limits sunshine (certainly in September anyhow). Also, you must remember that Malta is on the same latitude as Tunisia and can get hot, so a shady balcony is no bad thing. All your bathing will take place at the pool and beside the adjacent shoreline.

Restaurants and shops are 5 to 10 minutes walk away but many of them have limited outside seating so best to eat early or late in order to get the alfresco experience. They are also cheaper.

The trips on offer are good value and worth doing. This said, Malta is a small island and limited in its tourist offer. You'll struggle for a good beach. The island has strong italian and Arabic influences and it's culinary delights focus on rabbit and horse. It is worth a visit but, as the taxi driver told us on arriving, you'll either love it or hate it. I wouldn't say we hated it but 'been there done that' springs to mind.

If you do choose to go to Malta the Westin would be one of your better accommodation options.

Room Tip: Book one facing the pool area and don't worry which floor you get
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anthony Q
Dear Anthony Q,

Thank you for your review following your stay at the Westin Dragonara Resort.

We are glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay at the resort and the facilities the resort offers. Your comments have been shared with our team and we apologise for any inconvenience caused during your dinner at our restaurant. Should you wish to share with us further comments, I invite you to contact me directly on stephanie.micallef@westin.com

Once again, thank you for your comments and for choosing the Westin Dragonara Resort for your stay in Malta.

Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

I first went to Malta as a young Marine in 1970. I loved the Island and the people then and 43 years later I still love it. It is an acquired taste, you either love it or hate it. Over the years I have returned on many occasions and have a great sense of nostalgia for the place. Gone now are the war widows dressed in black who used to sit on their doorsteps their husbands and Islands were subjected to one of the greatest landscaping projects of all time courtesy of the Luftwaffe
and Mussolini, they failed to break the spirit of the Maltese just as the Turks did centuries before.
For me, apart from the obvious, it is a great place to walk in. The seafront from St Georges Bay down to Sliema seems to go on forever and walking it is beneficial for my creaking bones and my love of coffee, their are many pit stops en route. The flight on Easy Jet was excellent and being able to pre book your seat has made all of the difference. The cabin crew are efficient and friendly.
For the second time we booked a tower room at the Westin Dragonara, which had an enormous sea view balcony and really pleasant room. The staff and management at the Dragonara really have got their act together and are friendly, efficient, charming and nothing is too much trouble.
It has a lovely pool area with access to the sea for those with the energy for swimming in the sea. Even in November many people were doing this. The food is excellent, if you want to go out their are many good restaurants houses, a Sicilian restaurant is a couple of hundred yards from the hotel and the fish is to die for (Giardino opposite a Hotel called the something Tulip????). Much development has been done in the Paceville area just outside the Hotel. It has to be said it is bit seedy, but my guess is it will be developed in the next few years and already the area is being squeezed, having said that at no time did we feel in any way threatened.

Room Tip: 777 is a great room if you can get it
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear dirkle,

Thank you for your comments following your second visit to the Westin Dragonara Resort.

We are very happy to note in your comments that you have enjoyed your stay at the resort and on the Maltese Islands.

We look very forward in welcoming you back and invite you to contact me directly on stephanie.micallef@westin.com should you be planning a return visit.

Dowling
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

The staff and all areas of this fabulous resort were family friendly. Lots of areas and activities for grandparents, parents and children. Staff was exceptional from the front office, excursion, food services, and cleaning staff who went above and beyond in all circumstances. Much appreciated!
Wonderful family safe accommodations, even for our one and three year old grandchildren. Balconies provided wonderful, safe play areas for the children and areas of relaxation for the adults. Many great meals on the terraces were enjoyed by all!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a tower room with a balcony! Well worth the money!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Gail744,

We are delighted to read in your comments that you had a fabulous trip and enjoyed your stay at the Westin Dragonara Resort. The resort is indeed a great location for family vacations and offers various room types including rooms with two Queen Sized beds.

Thank you for sharing your comments with fellow travellers following your experience at the resort. We look forward in welcoming you and your family back for another vacation.

Best regards
Framlingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have not stayed in a Westin for a while so it was good to be back. From the moment you arrive the greeting and service is excellent. Reception were swift, friendly and accommodating of our request for a high floor room.

Room size is excellent - very spacious and well appointed. The balcony sea view from the 6th floor (there are 8 floors in total) was brilliant with pool/sea views over the bay. Bathroom was well fitted though there was an unpleasant smell from the drains for most of our stay... Room furnishings are high quality though one point to note; the walls are very thin. Between the kids in the suite next door and the TV on the other side of our room peace was sometimes a struggle to obtain. Apart from that the room is excellent.

We ate in the bar a couple of nights and once again the food and service was excellent. Good quality and reasonable prices for a hotel of this quality though the beer prices for draught are a little OTT at 6EUR for a pint of the local brew. Ironically the cocktails starting at 7EUR represent better value. We ate from the tapas menu and from the bar menu and the food was excellent quality and reasonably priced. Service was swift and friendly throughout every experience so no complaints at all and complements to the bar staff.

The location of the Westin is superb. The best place to be with Paceville on your doorstep with plenty of bars, restaurants and clubs. We found loads of places to eat/drink in the week we were here.

Pool and beach - pool is freezing. Hot tubs are actually cold tubs. No heating which despite the nice weather while we were there left the pool only for the brave. Given the sunshine I am surprised Westin do not fit some solar panels on the hotel roof to supply heat to the pool so as to extend the season. And who wants to sit in a cold tub?

Net of all the above - I would still recommend the Westin as the best place to stay in St.Julians and Malta as a whole.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor, pool facing in the North tower if you want a sunny balcony all day.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
MicallefStephanie, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Neil P,

We are very happy to note in your review that you have enjoyed your stay at the Westin Dragonara Resort.

Thank you for sharing your comments with fellow travellers and for choosing the Westin for your stay on the Island. Your notes have been shared with our team and we invite you to contact us directly on stephanie.micallef@westin.com should you wish to share further feedback or should you be planning a return visit.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the resort

Bruxelles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Introduction:
This is my second stay on the island. The first one was at Le Meridien (see my review) and it wasn’t a very good experience. Although I’m willing to give Le Meridien a second chance, I also wanted this second stay to be much better, even flawless if possible.

As usual, I checked TripAdvisor’s members comments for the other Starwood Properties, and found The Westin Dragonara. The reviews were quite great so I decided to go for it.

Preambule:
I emailed the Westin to check out what kind of special package they can offer to a platinum member. I mean, I’m very faithful to SPG, to say the least, and most of the time I’m treated like a true VIP. In Warsaw in example, they always allocate the second best suite of the hotel to me each time I go there.

I got in touch with The Westin Dragonara on October 5th initially. As they didn’t get back to me (because of the week-end schedules I presume), I ended up booking it anyway on October the 6th. I had no choice but to book a place as the plane was already scheduled.
From there I got very nice replies from ALEXIA BUGEJA and STEPHANIE MICALLEF and both assured me they would follow the reservation very closely.

Dates of stay:
From October 25th till October 29th, four nights.

The Exterior:
This is a resort type, with 2 pools, access to the sea, so it is of course not really discreet.
Still, the main building looks quite nice for such a big property.

The Area:
One hell of an area! Walking distance from the center of St Julians where the shops, bars and restaurants are. It’s also the spot where the action takes place during the evening.
Sounds like it could be a bit noisy? Not at all. The Westin is very close, but still very quite as it located on a “private spot” and the rumors of the action aren’t even heard.
I would rate the area 5/5: you have it all. Action, shopping and peace.

The Interior:
Very nice interior design, with a huge BUT freezing lobby. Reception and concierge area is wide enough not to feel packed while waiting and the rest of the ground floor is mainly the lobby bar which is very large opening on a very large terrace.
The corridors and the hotel in general feel very 4-5 stars.

The check in:
Yanice took care of our check in which was very fast and friendly. As we were without luggage, lost in transit once again with Lufthansa, we asked for an “emergency kit.
We had to remind her to give it after she kindly explained the resort facilities but we received tooth brushes and paste and a razor…we were hoping that they would provide some extra stuff, but, in the end, it’s not a big deal to go for shopping for essentials.
I also asked for an ashtray as all rooms feature a balcony but that was never delivered in time.

When we arrived in the room, as the ashtray never showed up, I called Express Service and asked for it again, as well as a second pair of slippers, a bathrobe and some more shampoo and shower gel.

They delivered the ashtray quickly but nothing else. When we came back after midnight I had to call again to get the rest which was finally delivered.

It’s not a big deal of course, but it’s a bit annoying to have to remind them again, specially that we felt miserable without our own stuff stuck in Frankfurt.

Oh, and yes, we were having our phones, cameras and computers with us but no adaptors. When we got back to the room. Two were delivered for us. Note that they charge a deposit and that it was not on the bill. There is no charge thus.

I have to mention that we received a very nice welcome package delivered to our room with a note signed by the general manager in person (I mean hand signed in blue ink, not a copy).

The room:
Room 827, on the top floor of the building. I was upgraded to an Executive room which also give access to the Executive Lounge.

I was a little disappointed by the room as I hoped to get a suite, even junior, but apparently the upgrades in Malta’s Starwoods properties for Platinum are only from basic to Executive rooms.

Another thing I didn’t like is that we were put in a double queen bed room, and not a single king bedroom. So, we ended up to sleep in different beds :-((

The room itself is large and feature the usual Executive/Club rooms furniture. Armchair, table, desk and chairs, closets and drawers.

One thing is quite stupid these days though: there is only one power plug at the desk and one behind a bed! 2 for 6 appliances, that was quite tricky.

The balcony was quite comfortable, with a table and two chairs and a real great full view on the pools and the sea.

The AirConditioning/Heating:
Was working perfectly and that is important because it’s 27°C these days

The Bathroom:
The bathroom is quite small with a bath, a single sink and a toilet. The shower in the bath is again wall mounted which is a shame. For some reason, after each bath or shower, there was a lot of water on the floor. Luckily, it was under the sink.
Another thing is the sewage smell in the bathroom. Not so strong but not very nice either.
Though the room was for two persons, on top of the lack of a second bathrobe and pair of slippers, we were having only one shower gel and shampoo bottle.
This is really greedy, especially when you lack your baggage.

The Bed:
They were perfect, as usual in the Westin.

The Breakfast:
Served in the Executive Lounge, I was very pleased to see that it wasn’t as poor as the one from Le Meridien Malta.
The choice is wide and the lounge quite nice with a large terrace.

The Restaurant(s)/bars:
There are several restaurants and bars as it is a resort. We didn’t check them though except the lobby and pool bars. Drinks were great and food was too.

The Club Lounge:
The place is very nice, as mentioned, with a large terrace and three sofa areas on top of around 10 tables and chairs.
There are two computers and a printer.
One thing is apparently a Maltese habit: you have a breakfast until 10:30 AM and a Happy Hour from 6 till 8 PM and the rest of the day there is not even a soft drink. Only water and coffee. I have to say that the Happy Hour is fabulous with lots of appetizers wine, soft, beers and alcohol.

Swimming Pools, Seaside
There are two outdoor pools. One is restricted for kids, but was closed due to the time of the year I guess. Both are large and very nice. There is also an access to the sea. Malta has almost no sandy beaches. And, in this area of the island, people simply use the rocks for sunbathing. The Westin spot is very comfortable with sunbeds.

Service/Housekeeping:
Absolutely perfect.

Check out:
Simple and quick. The bill was correct too.

I really liked:
- It is so common to mention, but it deserves to be mentioned. Once again, thumbs up for the staff. Their friendly attitude and professionalism is occulting the minor bugs of our stay.
- The resort itself which is very nice to discover and trust me it is quite large. The fact that it is large I never felt like there were so many people in the place. Even the lobby bar huge terrace when busy, is very quite and lovely. Same for the pool bar or the pool and beach area.
- The interior design
- The location: if you go straight ahead you will be in the crazy PaceVille area where evenings are just like a Pattaya atmosphere. If you go to the left you will have grocery stores, shops, a small port with restaurants and terraces.

I really disliked:
- The elevators: only two for such a building is a guarantee to have to wait.
- The room service on the first day. The following days were perfect though.
- The Air Conditioning in the lobby. It’s freezing.

All the best
Stephane

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank StephaneBxl
Dear StephaneBxl,

Allow us to thank you for choosing the Westin Dragonara Resort for your stay in Malta and for your review following this stay.

Gladly we note from your comments that you have enjoyed your break and the location of the Westin Dragonara Resort.

Your feedback has been shared with our team, and we thank you for your time to write about your experience at the resort. Such comments will help us to continue improving the experience we offer to our guests.

We look very forward to another opportunity to welcome you back to the Maltese Islands and the Westin Dragonara Resort in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,286 reviews
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort
Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's

Been to The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta? Share your experiences!