“Not spectacular” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Lagos, Nigeria
“Not spectacular”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a week in Malta. During this time we stayed in three separate properties scattered around the island. Our first hotel of the week was the Westin.
I had gotten the impression from photos on this site that the hotel would be a bit more secluded than it is in reality. It is not on the busy St Julian's strip, but we were able to walk to that busy area with ease. There were far more businesses surrounding the resort than I expected, although once through the entry of the resort you are more alone.
The hotel was busy during our particular stay with conference guests. I am not sure how often they hold conferences here, but it did make for a wait to talk to the desk staff, etc.
I had originally booked a normal double room, but at the last moment I decided to splurge and get a tower room. Not the best decision I have ever made. I think the double room would have been better in my case and I will explain why. What my main goal was in room selection, was to have a fantastic view of the water. In my initial booking I had requested a double room, non smoking, with view of both pool and sea, as high as possible. From what I had read on this site, that should have gotten me a great view from the room. I assume that it would have been a view visible from the bed as well.
Instead, when I upgraded to the tower room, what we got was essentially a normal double room where the beds face a tv and wall. Then, way at the end of the room, off to the side of the 2nd bed was a curtained door/window with a view of the pool. It was not a super large door or anything...not much light coming in. Now, what WAS added to this type of room was a covered patio area. It was accessible by a large doorway across from the 2nd double bed....sort if. It wasn't like the bed had this spectacular full-on view out the door to the patio...it was like one person in the bed had the view. The other person still was looking more at the wall than out the doorway. Additionally, the doorway did not let in a lot of sunshine. Because the patio was a low-covered one (as in the roof was of a normal height and not one of the top units with the very high ceilings) it was not sunny. Then, to make thins worse, our patio had high pink walls...like just above waist level...so because the wall was a solid half wall, again, this made it dark in the room. We were on floor 4 I think...may have been 6. Sorry...after 3 hotels I am a bit confused now. But other floors had a more open half wall...more like a fence. That would have been brighter.
I kinda felt like we were staying in a cave.
I paid for the tower room with panoramic view. It was the very end room and the view WAS off three sides....yes. To the left was the pool...straight ahead was the casino...to the right was kind of open field but first was another tower room. It was panoramic, yes, and the boats going by were beautiful, but it was just dark.
We had a very huge storm blow through on the first night and all of our patio furniture was blown to the right side in a big pile by morning. We guessed that the high half walls served a purpose: keeping the furniture from blowing off the patio!
The furniture was nothing special...not even cushions on it. Very, very basic.
The beds were very comfortable as advertised....amazing. The room, however, lacked character. The beds were done up in white sheets (we found white down comforters wadded up in a clear plastic trash bag in the closet on the upper shelf. We spread those out and used them when the storm blew in cold weather. Still...beds all white and no pictures at all on the walls. Just very plain.
The staff was great though. I had a bladder infection when I arrived. They called a doctor for me and had him come out to the room. Unfortunately the doc charged 75 Euro for his visit...a bit steep...but he did give me an Rx for antibiotic. Also, sadly, the hotel tacked on a 9 Euro charge for the local call they made to the doctor on my behalf. I did not expect that....but suppose it is fair. I had just thought at the prices we paid for the room that the call by the hotel staff would be something complimentary.
We also had trouble with a lock on our suitcase not opening. The hotel sent a guy to help us to break the lock...that was kind.
There was a bit of confusion upon check-in. We were told that the restaurant Quadro would give us a discount because we are preferred members of the hotels frequent participation program. The hotel lady went on to say there were several restaurants in the hotel, then said all of them would give the discount to us.
We decided to dine at Palio's (amazing food...separate review to come). We wondered when the discount would be credited....and left after eating, charging the food to our room. I assumed the hotel must give the discount at checkout.
The next day I decided to be proactive so I went to the desk and asked about the discount. This time I was told that I needed to show the discount card which had (presumedly) been given to us at check in. I told the staff I had been given no card...so they wrote out a new card for us.
We returned to Palio's that night (yes...it is THAT amazing!) and this time I gave my discount card to the waiter when we received the bill. It was then that I learned that the discount was ONLY at Quadro...not at all the restaurants as the first reception staff personnel had informed us.
Now to be fair, the discount card said Quadros only right on it. My bad...I did not stop and read the card. But after speaking to the desk twice about this discount and specifically being told it was good at all restaurants initially, then the second time I had specifically said that we dined at Palio's and were returning there to the staff...well, I just assumed the information was correct. I was in the wrong though...I should have read the card thoroughly.
Overall a nice hotel, but nothing special. Pool was a tad too cold during our stay to experience...we did lay by the side and drink piña coladas though.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FlyMeToKathmandu
michael_kamsky, General Manager at The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear FlyMeToKathmandu,

Thank you for your time to share with fellow travellers your experience at the Westin Dragonara Resort. Primarily, allow us to thank you for including the Resort as part of your itinerary during your stay in Malta.

The Westin Dragonara Resort is very close to the centre of St. Julian’s, however, cut off by an 18th century fortification wall, sitting on 75000sqm of privately owned peninsula, enjoying wonderful views of the Mediterranean Sea. The Resort is built in a u-shape, so that all the rooms will enjoy the wonderful views this area has to offer. The Tower Rooms are one of the highlights of the different room types available, in very high demand, as they offer a 180 degrees panoramic view from the 20sqm terrace. We regret to read in your comments, that you were not entirely happy with the selection of the Tower Room for your stay with us.

The notes you have highlighted regarding the discount card offered for the Quadro Restaurant have been well noted and we sincerely apologise for any miscommunication. We thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, as this will help us to identify the areas where we need to look into deeper to provide the best service to our guests.

Once again, we thank you for your feedback, and hope that the future will see you again to the Maltese Islands and the Westin Dragonara Resort. Should this be the case please do not hesitate to contact me directly, and I can help you choose a room type that would satisfy best your requests; we have eight different room types to choose from.

Best Regards
Michael Kamsky
Michael.kamsky@westin.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed here for a long weekend and glad it wasn't longer. Whilst it's an ok hotel the rooms are just too noisy (stated in a Bay Suite). The floors in the Bay suites are wood so unless you are on the top floor it sounds as you have elephants charging about above and the walls are also very thin so you can hear your neighbours talking. It's a shame as the room facilities were very good as were the sea views. Staff are very helpful and the restaurants (with the exception of Quadro which we thought poor) are fine.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Katkin1965,

Greetings from the Westin Dragonara Resort and the Maltese Islands

Thank you for making the time and sharing this review with fellow travellers. Indeed our Luxury Bay Suites have a stunning location, situated only a few metres away from the Mediterranean Sea. Your feedback with regards to the noise pollution has been noted with surprise, as this is the first time we have received such remarks.

Additionally, your comment pertaining to our Quadro Restaurant has been noted and shared with our team. Quadro is one of the best restaurants on the Islands, having one of the best Chefs. Thus, your feedback is indeed very valuable for us, should you wish to give us more feedback please feel free to contact me directly.

Best Regards
Michael Kamsky
Michael.kamsky@westin.com
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We went to eat at the Westin Dragonara Hotel sunday lunch and we had such a good time. The food exellent the service very good and the staff where very polite and nice to as and every one 10q very much

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
MicallefStephanie, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Paul V,

We are happy to read that you have enjoyed a good Sunday Lunch at the Terrace Restaurant.

Thank you for choosing the Westin Dragonara Resort and for your comments following your visit. We look very forward in welcoming you back.

Kind regards
Zebbug, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

An excellent Sunday lunch with amazing variety of food starting from delicious canape selection, cold counter, excellent meat and fish section and ending with great variety of sweets one can imagine.
Restaurant set beautifully with very nice relaxing view. All staff were excellent, friendly and helpful. Big thankyou goes to Rachel. Charlo and kitchen staff for their excellent work and service.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Krystle126,

Thank you for writing a review following your dining experience at the Terrace Restaurant.

We are glad that you have enjoyed the great selection of items available on the buffet ranging from great antipasti to delicious desserts. Thank you for mentioning Rachel, Charlot, my colleagues at the Terrace Restaurant and the kitchen brigade for their service and dishes prepared.

Should you plan a return visit to the Terrace Restaurant and the Westin Dragonara Resort please do not hesitate to contact me directly. We look very forward in welcoming you back.

brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

what a beautiful hotel in a prime location as if Malta wasnt beautiful enough on its own this place, there is lots do in in the local area and the concierge were so helpful as I was travelling alone. The pool is gorgeous this is a true five star hotel

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank rosegallagher
MicallefStephanie, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear rosegallagher,

Thank you for your wonderful comments.

We are glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay at the Westin Dragonara Resort and the time spent by the pool area.

We look forward to welcome you back to the Maltese Islands and the Westin Dragonara Resort in the near future.

stephanie.micallef@westin.com
Bern, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Traveled to Malta the week before Easter. We experienced many room and service issues. For example, the hotel mismanaged our booking and could not provide the room category that we reserved. It resulted in a 2 hour delay at check-in. Also, overall staffing at the hotel restaurants needs to be increased to handle the volume of guests. The food was very good in Quadro and the Terrace, but service was lacking. We addressed our issues with several levels of mangement who were understanding of our needs. Our stay was salvaged by George, the conceirge. He provided excellent guidance, recommendations for restaurants near and far, as well as tours and a sailing charter. Compared to other 5 star resorts in Europe, Asia, and the US, this property has potential, but there are areas for improvement.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MMAMT
Dear MMAMT,

Primarily allow us to thank you for choosing the Westin Dragonara Resort for your stay on the Maltese Islands.

We regret to read that we did not manage to meet your expectations during your visit and we apologise for any inconveniences caused during your stay. The notes you have highlighted have been shared with our team, as it is through such feedback that we can continue to improve on the service we offer. Should you wish to provide us with further details on your experience at the resort, I invite you to contact me directly on stephanie.micallef@westin.com

Whilst thanking you once again for your feedback, we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the resort in the future.

Teddington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed here on business and was delighted with the service in all respects. One downside of the room was that I could hear next door's television as the walls seemed to be too thin. The area around the hotel is now built up and a bit of a night club zone, if that's your thing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GastronomeUK
Dear GastronomeUK,

Allow us to thank you for your feedback following your stay at the Westin Dragonara Resort.

Your comments have been shared with our team and we are glad to read that you have experienced good service throughout the resort.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the resort in the near future, and should you plan a return visit, I invite you to contact me directly on stephanie.micallef@westin.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,252 reviews
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort
Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's

Been to The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta? Share your experiences!