“A Jewel on the Mediterranean Sea”

The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This was my first visit to Malta. I did my homework before I booked this resort for a 5 night stay and was full of anticipation.
I love the Med and consider it part of my blood. I love cruising on my boat in many parts from East to West. However, Malta has somehow escaped an opportunity to visit.
I have had a good incentive to visit on this occasion,meeting my daughter and her boyfriend who live on the island, and looked forward to it.
Well, on an island like this you want to be where you are surrounded by magnificient Med views which I am partial to.
I was received at check in by a very friendly member of staff who has allocated for me a wonderful suite, which was a great upgrade as an SPG platinum member, with those views to die for, the sea, the pool and the lovely shore surrowndings. The suite was Fab, so spacious and comfortable with lovely 2 balconies(you don't need to guess what the views were like.!!) and a bathroom that I wish I could have the like of at home.
The weather was somewhat cooler than expected for that time of year but was dry and mostly sunny. I therefore,took the opportunity to visit most of the scenic and historical parts of Malta instead of lazing around the hotel's inviting pool.
The resort has fantastic facilities and restaurants but I started my days having a wonderful breakfast in the club lounge, where we met Pam, a most friendly hospitable lady,originally from Texas, who married and lived in Malta for years, who looked after us and made sure that we had the best start for any day. And the happy hour in the lounge is not to be missed.
We visited Mdina, Valletta's old town, southern Malta where we had a lovely lunch near a fishing village, and just before leaving had a drink in Portomaso(which is a walking distace from the hotel). Portomaso with a beautiful fully sheltered modern marina surrounded by the Hilton on one side and chic buildings on the opposite side, is a gem. I was so tempted to bring my boat here for permanent mooring. You can have a lovely meal in some nice restaurants with lovely views of the marina and water.
I chose the green option while in the hotel, which meant no room service for those days. We had enough towels and kept our room tidy which is what we all do at home, so why not in a hotel? There is a nominal incentive gift for doing this, but the idea itself is wonderful.
I have many fond memories of this first visit, all made possible by a wonderful stay at this Wonderful establishment, in a most magnificient location, so beautiful, elegant and made complete by the exquisite perfect hospitality of all staff.
Thanks to all involved..I will be back as soon as an opportunity arises...How about cruising that boat across the Med and anchoring in that bay just facing the resort...? I will keep on dreaming...

Room Tip: Get an upgrade to a suite with lovely seaviews.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
MicallefStephanie, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear MTJeha,

Allow us to thank you for your wonderful comments following your stay at the Resort. We are very happy to read that you have enjoyed the Maltese Islands on your first visit and certainly look forward to welcome you back.

As you have well mentioned, the Resort indeed enjoys wonderful views of the Mediterranean Sea, which we are glad to note that you have enjoyed.

Once again, we thank you for your comments and look forward to your second visit.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The hotel was lovely, very luxurious!
Breakfast was fantastic every morning. We only ate in the hotel one evening as you were only able to eat in the bar area. The food was lovely but we were a bit disappointed that the other restaurants weren't open, it would have been nice to have been informed of that when we checked in. Luckily there were plenty of restaurants close by that we could try.
Our room was very spacious, bed's comfy, complementary bath robes and a lovely view.
There was more than one outdoor pool but only one was open. That was okay because the hotel wasn't busy, hopefully playing with our son didn't disturb the older guests. We were looking forward to swimming in the sea but it was a bit choppy.
It was nice not to have to compete with people reserving sunbeds at 7 in the morning, very relaxing and peaceful.
Had a lovely stay and have already recommended it to my parents.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tink2848

Dear Tink2848,

Thank you for your review!

It is wonderful to read that you have enjoyed a lovely time at the hotel and we thank you for sharing your comments.

We have read your feedback pertaining to the restaurants and would like to apologise should we have missed out on providing the information that the Quadro Restaurant is open all year round.

We hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back, maybe in the warmer season, where you can experience the other restaurants and Reef Club area as well.

Once again, we thank you for your comments and for choosing the Westin Dragonara Resort.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We attended a conference at this hotel and found it disappointing compared to other Westin properties we have stayed in over the years. 14 euros a day (close to US$20!) for slow-speed wifi access is a rip-off. The hotel proclaims that it is eco-friendly, which must explain the substandard air conditioning system. When we complained about the heat and humidity in our room we were told that the A/C does not function except when we are in the room (which we seldom were, except to sleep), and then only when the motion detector starts it! Restaurant is not open for lunch -- only option is eating at the bar. Breakfast buffet was nice, with freshly made omelets a highlight. Concierge was helpful and recommended a great restaurant nearby (Sale e Pepe). Hotel has a deal with a car service that prevents you taking a taxi. Driver couldn't find our destination and we were late for an appointment! All in all, disappointing hotel experience but Malta was worth the trip.

Room Tip: We understand from talking to other guests that the A/C problems are less acute on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
MicallefStephanie, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear TravelerWoodlands,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay at the Westin Dragonara Resort.

We regret to read that we did not meet your expectations during your visit at the Resort and for this we sincerely apologise. Your comments have been shared with our team, as it is through such feedback that we can continue to improve on our service. Should you wish to provide us with further specific details, I invite you to contact me directly on stephanie.micallef@westin.com

We hope that in the future we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Resort.

Best regards

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Excellent hotel and excellent location .Close to shopping ,very good for long walks along the sea. Fine training facilities and good fitness centre. Beauty center with several kinds of treatments . Have stayed in the hotel before and the rooms are big with wonderful beds and pillows. Staff are very friendly and service was very good . Several pools and excellent for swimming in the sea.
This ais a hoyel we definetely will come back to as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Executive room with sea view is a very good alternative
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kirsten0604,

Thank you for choosing once again the Westin Dragonara Resort for your stay in Malta, we certainly look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the Islands.

We appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your comments and are very happy to note that you have enjoyed your visit to the Resort and the Resort’s facilities. As you have well mentioned, the Westin Workout indeed offers a variety of cardio and strength equipment, and we are glad to know that you have used this facility.

Once again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is definitely a 5 star. I cant believe anyone could write anything negative about this hotel. The rooms were lovely with comfy beds and great TV. Food outstanding every night!!!! The hotel grounds, pools, staff all excellent. Will rerurn again very soon. Need to save up as its expensive to stay here but worth every penny.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Krystyna B
MicallefStephanie, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Krystyna B,

Thank you for your wonderful comments following your experience at the Resort.

We are very happy to read in your review that you have enjoyed your visit and the Resort’s facilities. As you have well mentioned, the rooms at the Resort indeed enjoy very comfortable beds; the Heavenly Beds for a wonderful sleep experience.

We thank you once again for your comments and look forward to welcome you back to the Resort.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here at the end of April as part of my company's President's Club trip. The hotel is very nice and what you would expect from a Westin. My impression is that this is one of the best hotels in Malta and certainly in St. Julian's. The service really made this property special. That said, I do not think it would be considered "5 Star" in most other locations around the world. In my opinion, this is a 4 Star hotel. Some of the property seems tired and could use with a little updating.

The Rooms:
All of the rooms come with a wonderful view which was my favorite part. They are also quite spacious. They could improve the rooms with a proper hair dryer. This is my test for a truly quality hotel and this hairdryer was the worst- you literally had to hold the button the entire time you used it. Also, our room did not have any bathrobes as promised on the website. There was a note that we could order them up to our room, but we never got around to it. I wish they would have just been there when we arrived instead of having to ask. I realize these are small touches but they are ones one expects from a 5 Start hotel.

The Food:
The food was truly excellent and a pleasant surprise. We had several dinners with our group and all were wonderful. I especially enjoyed the passed hors d'oeuvres. Seriously, the food was impressive for such large events. Breakfast was included each morning as well. They have a very lovely buffet. We enjoyed sitting outside under the sun each morning during breakfast. We also tried one of their restaurants for dinner. This meal was nice but not as impressive-perhaps we just had too high of expectations. There was nothing wrong with the meal, it just wasn't special. I will write a separate review for the restaurant.

The Facilities:
The lobby and lobby bar were elegant and the service was excellent. The pool setting is lovely and I loved the area down by the sea even though it was only open for a few days (we were there in early season). Service at the pool bar was a bit slow. We also enjoyed lunch by the pool one day. The lunch was tasty though service was also slow here. We did not take advantage of the pool, spa or gym. We checked them out and they all seemed nice.

Location:
The location is really excellent. You are walking distance to several restaurants, bars, and shops. I don't think you could do better for location.

All in all, it was a wonderful stay and I would recommend this hotel. While there are a few areas for improvement, the service truly was excellent which made for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DLK26

Dear DLK26,

Thank you for staying at the Westin Dragonara Resort and for your time to review your stay.

It is great to know that you have enjoyed an excellent stay and we thank you for your feedback. Your comments pertaining to the room set up as well as the pool service have been shared with our management team, as it is through such feedback that we can continue to improve on the services we offer.

As you have rightly mentioned, the Westin Dragonara Resort, enjoys a wonderful location. Set on a peninsula, the Resort enjoys great views of the Mediterranean Sea, and offers direct access to the sea.

Whilst thanking you again for your comments, we look forward to having another opportunity to welcome you back. Should you plan a return visit please do not hesitate to contact me directly on stephanie.micallef@westin.com

Reviewed 30 May 2014

My husband and I stayed in this hotel over the last weekend prior to my husband's company hosting a conference this week.

There are massive positives about this hotel but also a few negatives, which is why the review is 4 rather than 5 stars.

Starting with the positives, the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. After being in Malta for 4 days, I suspect that the friendliness of the people is part of being Maltese. That said, the staff were knowledgeable and helpful in addition, which is what you need during the first visit to a new place.

We arrived in Malta late on a Friday night and our suitcase didn't make it to Malta with us, so we spent a good 45 minutes waiting at the airport. I called the hotel concierge from the airport and he was incredibly helpful, saying that he would arrange for our transfer to come back to pick us up (he had left) and to push our restaurant reservation back accordingly. Upon arrival, the staff were very helpful and provided us with all of the toiletries that they had available (toothbrush, toothpaste etc) as the gift shop was closed. For two very tired and frustrated travellers, this was appreciated.

The first room that we stayed in for our 4 night stay was lovely; however, the bed was not pocket sprung and I was unable to sleep and the aircon didn't work. The next morning we were moved to our second room on the side of the hotel overlooking the wedding facility. This room was lovely. However, our second night was very noisy due to the high winds whistling through the room. Also, the aircon didn't work. The third night was fine as the wind had died down. However, on the fourth night, we had to move to a third room as a wedding party was happening below us. The wedding DJ was still playing very loudly at midnight. I made three complaints and finally was allowed to sleep in a third room. This room had perfect aircon which was lovely.

The next day, I made an appointment to speak to the manager of the hotel about the problem and it was swiftly resolved. The manger was professional and helpful and I thank him for his kind attention to the matter. He assured me that something would be done in future to ensure that wedding DJs stopped playing at 11pm.

I expect that we may stay at this hotel again for our next trip to Malta.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear LegallyB,

Allow us to thank you for your time to share with us your feedback.

We are happy to read that you found that our associates were very helpful, particularly in assisting you on your arrival. Please accept our apologies for any shortcomings during your visit, which we gladly read were resolved.

We hope that in the future we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Resort and should you be planning a return visit please do not hesitate to contact me directly on stephanie.micallef@westin.com for any accommodation arrangements.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Been to The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta? Share your experiences!