“Beautiful hotel, friendly staff”

The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed in the westin for our wedding. We had a fantastic time and the staff went out of their way to make sure we had a wonderful stay. The view from the hotel was amazing, the rooms were very large and we had an abundance of clean towels and toiletries everyday. The breakfast was amazing with a wide range of hot and cold breakfast foods (Fried food, omelettes made in front of you, fruit, yogurt, cereal, pancakes, the list goes on...). The staff anwered any queries immediately and really helped us with last minute wedding prep. We loved it and cannot wait to go back.

I have one negative which relates to the hairdresser within the resort. I understand this to be seperate from the hotel itself however given that the business cards in the hairdressers reference the hotel and even have a Westin Hotel Extension I must include this to worn other brides. The bridal paty had their wedding done by the hairdressers on site called "Le Salon." It was the only fault which we had during our whole wedding day which is a pity. I had a hair trial done by Rose in the salon and when I showed her what I wanted she said no. This should have been enough for me to cancel her for the wedding but I still hoped all would be ok and so my bridesmaids and I had our hair put up by Rose. She again refused to do the hair which I asked for on the day and not only did my bridesmaid have completely different hairstyles with the hair slides in two totally different places, she had an extremely bad attitude. My hair looked fine on leaving (despite being nothing like I asked for, and very simple/amateur) however in some of my wedding photos, my hair is falling out and untidy. Unfortunately this has ruined quite a few photos. During the evening I had to add extra clips to help stop it falling out all together. For someone who i thought to be an experienced professional, she upset the entire wedding party and shouted at me repeatedly when I told her what I wanted to the point where I had to let her do her own thing. Such a shame and have never experienced anything like this in a hairdressers. Furthermore, Rose promised to come put my veil in before we left for the church and we arranged to pay her after. She did not show up and instead rang me 5 mins before we were due to leave to ask who was coming to settle the bill (this was paid the next day).

Overall, perfect faultless hotel with the friendliest staff and best service I have ever experienced but if getting married do not book the hairdressers.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
MicallefStephanie, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear u m,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Dragonara Resort for this special occasion.

We are very happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay at the Resort and the accommodation.

As you have well mentioned in your comments, the breakfast at the Terrace Restaurant indeed offers a wonderful selection of items, including a Superfoods section for healthy eating whilst travelling.

Your feedback has been well noted and shared with our team.

We hope to welcome you back to the Resort in the future.

Many congratulations

There are newer reviews for The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta

Reviewed 5 June 2014

It was a wonderfull surprise lunch for my birthday organized by Josef Tabone,well done to manager Charlot and all staff,especially staff who served us Karl,Daphne and Vivi for their kindness and all big selection of food Westin Dragonara offered us.Thank you all.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bonjovi72

Dear bonjovi72,

Thank you for your comments following your experience at the Westin Dragonara Resort.

We are very happy to know that you have enjoyed your birthday lunch and thank you for mentioning my colleagues for their professionalism.

We look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

This was my first visit to Malta. I did my homework before I booked this resort for a 5 night stay and was full of anticipation.
I love the Med and consider it part of my blood. I love cruising on my boat in many parts from East to West. However, Malta has somehow escaped an opportunity to visit.
I have had a good incentive to visit on this occasion,meeting my daughter and her boyfriend who live on the island, and looked forward to it.
Well, on an island like this you want to be where you are surrounded by magnificient Med views which I am partial to.
I was received at check in by a very friendly member of staff who has allocated for me a wonderful suite, which was a great upgrade as an SPG platinum member, with those views to die for, the sea, the pool and the lovely shore surrowndings. The suite was Fab, so spacious and comfortable with lovely 2 balconies(you don't need to guess what the views were like.!!) and a bathroom that I wish I could have the like of at home.
The weather was somewhat cooler than expected for that time of year but was dry and mostly sunny. I therefore,took the opportunity to visit most of the scenic and historical parts of Malta instead of lazing around the hotel's inviting pool.
The resort has fantastic facilities and restaurants but I started my days having a wonderful breakfast in the club lounge, where we met Pam, a most friendly hospitable lady,originally from Texas, who married and lived in Malta for years, who looked after us and made sure that we had the best start for any day. And the happy hour in the lounge is not to be missed.
We visited Mdina, Valletta's old town, southern Malta where we had a lovely lunch near a fishing village, and just before leaving had a drink in Portomaso(which is a walking distace from the hotel). Portomaso with a beautiful fully sheltered modern marina surrounded by the Hilton on one side and chic buildings on the opposite side, is a gem. I was so tempted to bring my boat here for permanent mooring. You can have a lovely meal in some nice restaurants with lovely views of the marina and water.
I chose the green option while in the hotel, which meant no room service for those days. We had enough towels and kept our room tidy which is what we all do at home, so why not in a hotel? There is a nominal incentive gift for doing this, but the idea itself is wonderful.
I have many fond memories of this first visit, all made possible by a wonderful stay at this Wonderful establishment, in a most magnificient location, so beautiful, elegant and made complete by the exquisite perfect hospitality of all staff.
Thanks to all involved..I will be back as soon as an opportunity arises...How about cruising that boat across the Med and anchoring in that bay just facing the resort...? I will keep on dreaming...

Room Tip: Get an upgrade to a suite with lovely seaviews.

Dear MTJeha,

Allow us to thank you for your wonderful comments following your stay at the Resort. We are very happy to read that you have enjoyed the Maltese Islands on your first visit and certainly look forward to welcome you back.

As you have well mentioned, the Resort indeed enjoys wonderful views of the Mediterranean Sea, which we are glad to note that you have enjoyed.

Once again, we thank you for your comments and look forward to your second visit.

Kind regards

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The hotel was lovely, very luxurious!
Breakfast was fantastic every morning. We only ate in the hotel one evening as you were only able to eat in the bar area. The food was lovely but we were a bit disappointed that the other restaurants weren't open, it would have been nice to have been informed of that when we checked in. Luckily there were plenty of restaurants close by that we could try.
Our room was very spacious, bed's comfy, complementary bath robes and a lovely view.
There was more than one outdoor pool but only one was open. That was okay because the hotel wasn't busy, hopefully playing with our son didn't disturb the older guests. We were looking forward to swimming in the sea but it was a bit choppy.
It was nice not to have to compete with people reserving sunbeds at 7 in the morning, very relaxing and peaceful.
Had a lovely stay and have already recommended it to my parents.

1  Thank Tink2848

Dear Tink2848,

Thank you for your review!

It is wonderful to read that you have enjoyed a lovely time at the hotel and we thank you for sharing your comments.

We have read your feedback pertaining to the restaurants and would like to apologise should we have missed out on providing the information that the Quadro Restaurant is open all year round.

We hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back, maybe in the warmer season, where you can experience the other restaurants and Reef Club area as well.

Once again, we thank you for your comments and for choosing the Westin Dragonara Resort.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We attended a conference at this hotel and found it disappointing compared to other Westin properties we have stayed in over the years. 14 euros a day (close to US$20!) for slow-speed wifi access is a rip-off. The hotel proclaims that it is eco-friendly, which must explain the substandard air conditioning system. When we complained about the heat and humidity in our room we were told that the A/C does not function except when we are in the room (which we seldom were, except to sleep), and then only when the motion detector starts it! Restaurant is not open for lunch -- only option is eating at the bar. Breakfast buffet was nice, with freshly made omelets a highlight. Concierge was helpful and recommended a great restaurant nearby (Sale e Pepe). Hotel has a deal with a car service that prevents you taking a taxi. Driver couldn't find our destination and we were late for an appointment! All in all, disappointing hotel experience but Malta was worth the trip.

Room Tip: We understand from talking to other guests that the A/C problems are less acute on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
MicallefStephanie, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear TravelerWoodlands,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay at the Westin Dragonara Resort.

We regret to read that we did not meet your expectations during your visit at the Resort and for this we sincerely apologise. Your comments have been shared with our team, as it is through such feedback that we can continue to improve on our service. Should you wish to provide us with further specific details, I invite you to contact me directly on stephanie.micallef@westin.com

We hope that in the future we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Resort.

Best regards

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Excellent hotel and excellent location .Close to shopping ,very good for long walks along the sea. Fine training facilities and good fitness centre. Beauty center with several kinds of treatments . Have stayed in the hotel before and the rooms are big with wonderful beds and pillows. Staff are very friendly and service was very good . Several pools and excellent for swimming in the sea.
This ais a hoyel we definetely will come back to as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Executive room with sea view is a very good alternative
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kirsten0604,

Thank you for choosing once again the Westin Dragonara Resort for your stay in Malta, we certainly look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the Islands.

We appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your comments and are very happy to note that you have enjoyed your visit to the Resort and the Resort’s facilities. As you have well mentioned, the Westin Workout indeed offers a variety of cardio and strength equipment, and we are glad to know that you have used this facility.

Once again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is definitely a 5 star. I cant believe anyone could write anything negative about this hotel. The rooms were lovely with comfy beds and great TV. Food outstanding every night!!!! The hotel grounds, pools, staff all excellent. Will rerurn again very soon. Need to save up as its expensive to stay here but worth every penny.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Krystyna B
MicallefStephanie, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Krystyna B,

Thank you for your wonderful comments following your experience at the Resort.

We are very happy to read in your review that you have enjoyed your visit and the Resort’s facilities. As you have well mentioned, the rooms at the Resort indeed enjoy very comfortable beds; the Heavenly Beds for a wonderful sleep experience.

We thank you once again for your comments and look forward to welcome you back to the Resort.

Kind regards

Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
#9 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to The Westin Dragonara Resort, Malta? Share your experiences!