“A great experience”

Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 31 March 2009

I had a great stay at the Radisson in Malta and I definitely recommend it to anyone who is planning to visit the island. The room was great since apart from being up to standard and clean it was also really nicely decorated, not to mention the breathtaking view! The staff was very friendly and helpful whenever I needed any advice. Last but not least, I enjoyed the great food offered in all their restaurants - absolutely delicious!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Viganello

Reviewed 20 March 2009

The hotel is situated on the outskirts of St Julian, which suited us fine. But unless you are keen walker you will need a car or take a bus (which are convenient), to get anywhere!
The food was very good and staff were very courteous and helpful.
We stayed half board but got in a bit of a tangle over our meal on the Friday evening. On Fridays and Saturdays we were supposed to eat in the Kontiki restaurant rather than the Bistro, but had not been advised of this and ate in the Bistro as usual!! An attempt was made to charge us for the meal! Fortunately the matter was resolved amicably - we didn't pay!!
The rooms were well appointed and generally clean but a bit more use of the vacuum cleaner would have got rid of the dust around the skirting boards. (A bit more vacuuming in the corridors would not have gone amiss either!) Also the grouting in the bathroom needed a complete revamp.
Our room was located on the southwest side of the hotel and in this part of the hotel you won't need a wakeup call after 07.30 because that is when the external airconditioning ventilation system springs into action - and it's quite noisy!! This would have been a nuisance had we wished to sit/sunbathe on the balcony during the day, but fortunately did not affect us as we were out all day. The system shut down at about 22.00 hrs, so it did not interfere with a peaceful night!
We thought the drinks were expensive. Perhaps one should expect this in a 4/5 star hotel - and the £/Euro exchange rate doesn't help. It would have been a nice touch to have a complimentary bottle of water on the dinner table.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank twocheshirecats
Reviewed 15 March 2009

Went to Malta for a few days and stayed at the Radisson Bay Point. The hotel was perched right on the edge of the sea with great views over the med from your balcony.
The room was very nice and was a good size with a bathroom to match.

The only problem was that the maid must have vacumed about once a week given the amount of dust and debris under the bed and furniture.

The hotel ran buses to Valetta and some surrounding towns enabling you to visit for the day without too much fuss.

Overall I found the hotel the best part of the trip as I was not overly impressed with Malta itself. Maybe because it was cold and raining but I have no wish to return in a hurry.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gazm
Reviewed 8 February 2009

There was 16 of us travelled out for my Mum's Wedding in June 08, and i decided to stay here as this is where the Wedding was - all the others chose Self catering in St Julians.
My Mum had already been out there a week prior to us arriving and was very excited to get there from what she had been saying.
On arrival myself and my friend had our bags taken straight to our room. The rrom was very modern and spacious with a fantastic view from our bakcony - we could see the sea, pool + bar. We went Bed and Breakfast and the breakfast was fantastic, everything you could think of imaginable, the staff were very friendly and will do anything for you.
At night we mainly stayed in the Hotel as was around 15minute walk to St Julians (all uphill on way back), the bar staff were very frfriendly and had a little entertainment each evening (mainly Singers).
In the day time you could walk down to St Georges beach which was fantastic as near all the shops and resturants, or there were many trips you could book onto in the town centre and we did the Blue Lagoon which was breathtaking.
The pool areas were spot on, Clean many sunloungers, the hotel gave you towels for the pool area and the views were amazing!!
For the wedding itself, the hotel manager did an amazing job and was fantastic at ensuring everything went to plan.
The wedding was held in the conservatory which overlooked the sea and was very private - only few guests could see, The photographer got some fantastic photos in the hotel.
The waiter we had Tristan was brilliant, he served all 18 of us our 5 course meal mainly by himself, and we were never without anything or ever had to wait for anything - deffinatly 5* service.
He took my mum her flowers and cake up to her room so she didnt have to do anything and they got lots of complimentary gifts for their special day.
Overall if your thinking of getting married abroad i would 100% recommend this hotel, if your not thinking of getting married abroad i would also recommend this as we had no stress whatsoever!

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed 25 November 2008

We sayed at the radisson baypoint and it was the second leg of our malta trip having spent 3 days in gozo. This hotel is one of the better radisson hotels I have stayed in. The hotel itself is well furnished with plenty of seating areas, a 24 hour bistro, comfortable bar, fomal dining area. The food and drink is good and about 50% of the cost of Ireland.

We had a double room which was very nice, timber floors, nicely decorated and with furnished balcony. I had a spa treatment which was also very professional and well priced.

One thing here is that the staff are really very friendly and genuine.

Outside, there are pools and seating areas galore so if you are there in summer there is no need to worry about spending time at the pool (be careful booking hotels in malta as some only have a lido area which may be away from the actual hotel or on the rooftop)

What I found most confusing about booking our hotel in malta was that is was very hard to tell what was good location wise so here are a few pointers

The radisson baypoint is the furthest out of St Julians but it is still only a 10-15 min walk to all the restaurants. I liked it because it has great sea views and is away from the hustle and bustle of St Julians,which is more like a city than a resort. Next door to it is the Corinthian St Gorg and the Corinthian Marina, both looked nice, then in St Julians is the Westin and the Intercontinental. The Hilton is also in St Julians and is in a lovely setting beside the Marina where there are lots of restarurants also.

You can walk along the waterfront from the Radisson, through St Georges Bay, St Julians and on to Sliema in about 45 mins (briskly!)

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IrelandHolidayqueen
Reviewed 10 November 2008

We were at the Radisson SAS Bay Point early October for our honeymoon. My husband and I loved the room very much because the sea view was superb. The Guest Relations Manager arranged a wonder surprise for us upon our arrival which we enjoyed it very much. The staff were friendly and the room was spacious and lovely. I would recommend it to my friends for a quiet holiday or for their romantic occasions!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Popokui
Reviewed 3 November 2008

This was essentially a business trip, but as the family was joining me for the last of my two week stay in Malta, I moved from the Diplomat (cheap, budget) to the Radisson.

At £175 per night, this wasn't a cheap stay, but with the weather looking a little unreliable, I wanted my wife to have a relaxing time whilst I was working in the day.

We booked a junior suite - essentially a large room with two extra foldaway beds for my two sons, aged 16 and 8 - so not ideal. A lounge and bedroom (as provided at the Corinthia opposite) would have been better, but it turned out to be ok.

The hotel is situated on the top of the hill overlooking St George's Bay, far enough away from the noise and boozy centre of Bay Street, yet close enough to walk to if the mood required (as it did each evening).

The room was comfortable and clean, with an exceptionally comfortable, super-king size bed. It had two large patio windows and a walk-around balcony, allowing panoramic sea views where, on a clear day, you can see Gozo.

There was also a large flat panel TV set with plenty of choice of British and Italian programmes as well as the inevitable pay per view stuff.

As someone who's used to the cheaper end of the hotel market in Malta, if I were being totally objectove, I'd say that this is an expensive place to stay, that doesn't really justify the cost.

Sure, it's nice and the surroundings and facilities are fantastic.

The problem lies in the fact that at every turn, there seems to be additional charges.

It starts in the room, with one of those awful fridges that contain an automated mini-bar offering drinks and snacks at ridiculously inflated prices that nobody could possibly be comfortable in paying.

My trip was paid for by my company and I still wouldn't be tempted!

I asked for a straightforward fridge, but the Radisson doesn't allow that - and won't allow you to place your own stuff in the fridge at all, which is petty and annoying in my opinion.

Then there's the staff. In the bars, you cannot simply order a drink at the bars. They have be ordered and served from the table, which adds considerable time to getting your drinks - apart from one waiter called Michael, who happened to be very fast, friendly and efficient, though perhaps a little too eager to please.

The staff seem to have their hands out for tips all of the time which is pretty frustrating, though maybe it's to be expected in a 5 star hotel. You certainly don't get that in the 3 star places I've stayed in, even though the service is as good or better.

Take the cleaning for instance. Our maid was polite and efficient, but made a point of asking us when we were leaving and then pointing out when she was having her days off. On the day we left, she seemed to be ever-present for around 6 hours until we left, when she appeared in a doorway opposite the minute our door opened.

No sooner had we closed the door than a porter appeared as if by magic, complete with a trolley for our cases.

Really, I like service, but I can't stand staff hanging around like vultures for tips. Every receipt you get in the bar or restaurant has two extra lines - one for tips and one for gratuities - what's the difference?

If you like 5 star luxury and pampering, this is a great hotel. I couldn't really fault the surroundings and the services, but I can't stand coming away from somewhere feeling that I've been fleeced - which is how I felt here.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank eggbilly
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
#10 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort

Been to Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's? Share your experiences!