“Its not 5*”

Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 1 April 2010

Stayed here last June with a large group of friends. Could not fault the Hotel at all ' I got a great rate for the week . But if i had paid the 200 euro a night they were originally
quoteing me . now i could find faults. Its not 5*. its to far away from the town. The walk back up the hill will kill you.The bar is too expensive. could not fault the rooms or the breakfast. maybe they have installed flat screen tv's in the bedrooms by now.
Would recommend ANDREW'S BAR at the bottom of the hill for Food and drink.
I loved Malta and will go back someday but i think i will try another Hotel

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,769)

Reviewed 31 March 2010

My Wife myself and our Son Jason have just had another great stay at the Radisson Blu Malta. We met the general Manager Mr Ernest Barry and were given a warm welcome by him. The staff could not do enough for us and it made our stay an excellent one. Big up to Manuel,Charles and all the staff in the Bridge bar, Fabian,Joseph and all the staff in The Bistro & Kontiki restaraunts. Also many thanks to all the reception staff, Gautano, Thomas,Ryan,Wendy and all the other staff that made our holiday. The food & drink were great as was the service. Give the Radisson Blu Malta a try and you will not be dissappointed. This hotel has a great view over the mediteranian which cannot be beaten, we will be back there next and will no doubt have another great stay!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2010

Our room overlooked the pool (best avoid those overlooking the car park and adjacent hotel). It was on the shady side of the pool so if you want a sunny balcony best ask for an east facing room. The room was fine with everything you would expect (robe & slippers + nice toiletries). Only niggle was the mini bar - €5 for a small bottle of Evian is a rip off. Furthermore, if you stock it with shop bought products the hotel will dispose of them and if anything in the mini bar is moved it's charged to the room. However, it doesn't take Einstein to work out a way of chilling drink bought from the local Marks & Spencer. Also the tea bags provided in the room were poor quality & the milk UHT - better to liberate some at breakfast to use in the room!
The pool area had very comportable sun beds & waiter service, although all food and drink is in disposable containers. The pool was shaded by late afternoon, so best use in the morning - I suspect it gets more sun in summer although it faces north.
The food in the Bistro was excellent as were the breakfasts. However, we had a very poor lunch by the pool - dried up carrot sticks, bread & dips for €8 - another rip off!
Although the room was generally quiet we could still hear music late at night from various functions although it wasn't bad enough to keep us awake - I suspect the higher the room the less noise.
There is a bus stop very close to the hotel with a bus to Valetta every 30mins. St Georges Bay / Paceville where the restaurants are is about 10 - 15 min walk. Best avoid certain streets unless you like hoards of drunken teenagers enjoying cheap booze and the local nightlife.
In summary a good hotel for the price.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2010

I know, I went there nearly a year ago, and have only just got round to putting on a review...but even after all this time i still think it's worth doing....why? because the hotel was one of the best I have EVER stayed in. Reception staff were quick and friendly....rooms were clean and spacious...all staff spoken fantastic English. We stayed on a Bed and Breakfast package. There was lots of choice (made to order omlettes and smoothies, a full hot platter of sausages/bacon/eggs/beans/mushrooms/hash browns, UK branded cereals, croissants, toast, yoghurts, fruits etc). The pool didnt open until 8am, and I did notice on some days that staff removed towels that had been left to reserve sun beds (admittedly this didnt happen every day), it was easy to get service at any of the bars. The gym was adequate, looked out onto the waters and was staffed at all times. We brought our own laptop and connection to the internet was quick and easy to set up. The only things (and I am being picky), that let it down was the size of the main pool which I think was pretty small baring in mind the number of people the hotel could accommodate, the fact that it is no where near the beach (but then Malta doesnt really have a beach in St Julians) and the evening entertainment.....one man and his piano doing Elton John covers for a whole week is a little tiresome....however, i would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2010

My partner and I travelled to Malta in Sept 2009 for a week to celebrate my 21st birthday. The hotel seemed lovely on arrival, the lobby area was beautiful with the twisting staircases and marble everywhere.

The room - it was pretty basic, always clean and fresh. The bathroom needed some serious upgrading though, it wasn't really of 5* standard. My partner has been to Radissons in Glasgow and he said this one was not anywhere near the standards of the ones he has been to.

Service - service was very good, staff always very helpful. My partner came down with the cold whilst there and the staff were very helpful in helping us find the nearest pharmacy.

Price- quite expensive with regards to drinks, etc. I think it was about 5euros for a slushy thing and about 6euros for a pint. That's probably not down to the hotel but just that the Euro is very bad against the pound just now.

Food- was ok, not really to my taste. Breakfast was plentiful. There were chefs there to make omlettes if you wanted them, there were eggs, bacon, sausages, etc. As well as cereals, fruit, juices, waffles, pastries, etc. Dining room was always very full at breakfast time with plenty of staff goin around clearing plates and offering tea and coffee.

Night life- we were about ten minutes walk from Bay Street were all the pubs, restaurants, etc. are. Be warned if you go with children that there are many, many gentlemans clubs in that part of town! Also the legal drinking age is very low in Malta, I think its either 14 or 16 I cant quite remember, but bars are usually full of very young people at the weekends. We did a pub crawl with Thomas Cook which was fine but the service in many of the bars was very very slow so we ended up leaving early because you couldnt get a drink! They also had girls dancing on the bars in barely anything, which I feel is a bit inappropriate when there are 14 yr old children around.

Overall it was quite a good trip. Weather is fantastic, very very hot!! We took part in a few tours round the island. The tour guides were very good and spoke english which is always convenient! The island is beautiful and has a very vast history which was very interesting. I'm not sure if it is somewhere I would return to, all the nightlife is in one part of the island, I dont think I would make it a long trip if I ever returned. Nice for relaxing.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2010

We went on honeymoon,it's excellent in everyway,food,service,pools,gym and staff,especially the lobby barman.very friendly.only thing which annoyed me was the timeshare people mithering!would defo go again!

Reviewed 15 March 2010

The staff at Radisson Blu in Malta was outstanding. They handled all our needs in a professional manner. The food was great, the view was amazing and the location is perfect for a conference when you need afternoon excursions. I recommend this venue.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
InterContinental Malta
InterContinental Malta
#12 of 33 in Saint Julian's
Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort

Been to Radisson Blu Resort, Malta St Julian's? Share your experiences!