“Excellent food and service- Mediterranean food at its best”
Review of Giotto - CLOSED

Giotto
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I was very sceptical about this place due to the very negative reviews I had read. However, a friend of mine had told me he had eaten divinely, so I decided to give it a go. The ambience is very cosy and welcoming.No deafening music but allows a pleasant and discreet conversation (unless of course you need loud music to avoid talking to the person you are with). I want to return during the day as am sure the view is fanastic from the outside terrace as the restaurant overlooks St Julian's Bay.

The restaurant is very accessible no steps to go down or up as other places in St. Julians, plus there is plenty of space to drop off and pick up a person if not even manage to find parking exactly in front of the restaurant.

The menu is very varied as it offers not only a wide selection of pasta, rice, fish and meat but also pizza. Thus if you are on a tight budget you can also find something for you at Giotto and have a very good time. I ate Linguine allo scoglio al cartoccio which were absolutely divine. I am not a fond lover of seafood but just loved this plate. So healthy and yet satisfying. I later ate fish fillets which were covered in pesto bread crumbs. absolute genius. No need to have people sniffing over your fish to clean it from bones but still tasting fresh fish in a delicious way. Again this was very healthy. Later (quite a few minutes later as portions for main course are very large) I managed to fit in also a home made creme caramelle which was absolutely the best i ever tasted.

A last note on the staff which are really helpful and warm. A far cry from these restaurants who employ Eastern girls who can barely understand let alone speak English.

Thus my overall rating is excellent. Try this restaurant and do not be put off by the negative comments. If you want a real taste of Mediterranean food go to this restaurant. Mediterranean food at its best.

Reviewed 10 February 2013

Was wary of this restaurant when i visited having seen negative reviews on TripAdvisor. We just got pizzas, and they weren't inedible but not far off. Capricciosa was soggy and unpleasant to eat. Average service, waitress started clearing the table before we were all ready. No wonder we were one of the only tables past 9:30PM, on a Friday night. Avoid.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

Giotto is a relatively new trattoria, pizzeria, in what unused to be Sumatra restaurant. The present Italian owner has transformed this restaurant into a typical Italian trattoria.

They have a good and varied menu, plus a very good choice of specials. They also do pizza in true Italian style, that is a with a very light pizza base. The specials normally always include a choice of meat, fish and fresh pasta.

The dessert is imported straight from Italy and is very good.

The restaurant has a terrace overlooking St Julian's bay and worth eating outside, especially for lunch.

Reviewed 8 December 2012

Don't normally visit empty restaurants, especially on a Saturday night. However this one looked inviting from the outside and we "took the risk". A mistake. First we were told that the pizza chef wasn't there, so pizzas were off! So on the recommendation of the waiter, we chose the "Chef Bake Pasta". We were surprised when it appeared within 4 minutes of ordering. Unfortunately the pasta was cold and elements of the rigatoni were burnt. Obviously warmed up! So we complained and the pasta was returned and appeared again 10 minutes later, again luke warm with the same blackened rigatoni bits. Well we were hungry and ate it and to be fair, the sauce was quite tasty. They tried to sweeten us with an "on the house" liquor but that wasn't enough to allow us to give them a better mark than "poor".

Reviewed 8 December 2012

I went to this restaurant a couple of weeks ago and it was possibly even worse than the first time I went. Besides the fact that they weren't serving any pizzas (the pizza oven section was totally shut down) the pasta I ordered which was meant to be served with fresh seafood was in fact served with what tasted like seafood from a packet. Terribly dry, absolutely no taste. However, having said this, the food is not inedible. It does, at least, satisfy hunger.