“Unimpressed”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Witham, United Kingdom
“Unimpressed”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Pretty disappointing food - very salty and greasy pasta and chicken dishes. Significantly better quality food and better value readily available elsewhere in St. Julians's.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank njr1

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“worst experience in a restaurant ever”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

On a last minute decision we went to this restuarant as it looked busy and popular with people .

The menu was on a big notice board hanging on the wall which had to be taken down to show clients on tables to choose thier food, very unprossional.

Surprisingly, quite quickly we were given a table, but downside was it was unclean and had a big oil stain on it. We wanted to leave but as we were hungry we decided to stay (what a mistake now looking back)
There were only 2 waitresses in the place takeing orders whilst the boss was basically walking around having disagreeing loud words with the only 2 waitresses and shouting at the pizza chef, and appologising to the customers for delay in the food.

We were made to wait 45 minutes before we had our meal served. The pizza was dry, bread was tasteless, the topping was so scanty to the point you could see the bread through it! (Even our UK frozen pizza's taste better than this one did) The lamb pasta dish had one piece of lamb bone with no meat on it, so why call it a lamb dish? call it lambbone pasta dish! Even a dog would not have eaten that bare bone.

The rice dish had no fish amongst the mountain of undercooked rice surrounded by a ring of watery cream sauce. My friend was unable to eat the undercooked rice so I told the waitress about it and she took the dish away with no appology and no further communication about it.

After 20 minutes wait, my friend ate the left over pizza slices instead as they were better than the fish dish.
We decided to go to the till to pay the bill, the owner was at the till and before we mentioned anything he arrogantly stated he was recooking the rice dish, my friend stated she didn't wish to wait for the rice dish and had made it clear to the waitress that she didn't wish to have that dish anyway as she was put off it. The owner then stated the dish he served was perfect as Italians eat there rice undercooked.

No reicipt or applogy was given, and the change was virtually thrown back at me. Very unprofessional service with poor quality food.
Cedric

Rome, Italy
“light food”
Reviewed 30 March 2013

nice restaurant of sicilian owners, the food is light and tender, the calamari fry was soft and light, the pizza was average

Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Excellent pizzas good value but service could be better”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

This looks attractive from the outside but is more basic once inside & on the night that we visited the heat inside was overpowering until the doors onto the patio area were opened. Someone had obviously put the heating on high as it was March!! The pizzas however were excellent with a thin crispy base & plenty of topping. The red wine was also good. Whilst only about four tables were occupied we had to catch the waitress' attention to order a dessert. The bill for two pizzas,two icecreams, two espressos, a glass of red wine & a beer was 34euros which was, I believe, good value.

Malta
“Excellent food and service- Mediterranean food at its best”
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I was very sceptical about this place due to the very negative reviews I had read. However, a friend of mine had told me he had eaten divinely, so I decided to give it a go. The ambience is very cosy and welcoming.No deafening music but allows a pleasant and discreet conversation (unless of course you need loud music to avoid talking to the person you are with). I want to return during the day as am sure the view is fanastic from the outside terrace as the restaurant overlooks St Julian's Bay.

The restaurant is very accessible no steps to go down or up as other places in St. Julians, plus there is plenty of space to drop off and pick up a person if not even manage to find parking exactly in front of the restaurant.

The menu is very varied as it offers not only a wide selection of pasta, rice, fish and meat but also pizza. Thus if you are on a tight budget you can also find something for you at Giotto and have a very good time. I ate Linguine allo scoglio al cartoccio which were absolutely divine. I am not a fond lover of seafood but just loved this plate. So healthy and yet satisfying. I later ate fish fillets which were covered in pesto bread crumbs. absolute genius. No need to have people sniffing over your fish to clean it from bones but still tasting fresh fish in a delicious way. Again this was very healthy. Later (quite a few minutes later as portions for main course are very large) I managed to fit in also a home made creme caramelle which was absolutely the best i ever tasted.

A last note on the staff which are really helpful and warm. A far cry from these restaurants who employ Eastern girls who can barely understand let alone speak English.

Thus my overall rating is excellent. Try this restaurant and do not be put off by the negative comments. If you want a real taste of Mediterranean food go to this restaurant. Mediterranean food at its best.

• Visited February 2013