“Best Hostel ever!!”

Hostel Malti
Melbourne
“Best Hostel ever!!”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Best Hostel ever! The people were amazing and the atmosphere was the best. Aaron and Chris were so friendly and did everything they could to accomadate us. Best hostel in Europe by far. Would highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed August 2014

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Everyone always says this...but I've stayed in many, many hostels. This is by far, the single best I've stayed in, for a few reasons. If you travel to Malta, in a group or especially as a lone traveller - stay here! Hostel Malti was recommended by a cousin who stayed here 2 years ago - my experience was much the same as hers!

The hostel can organise a taxi for about 19 Euro from the airport, if not, I caught one myself for 20, otherwise get a bus to st Julian's for 1.50 Euro. Chris and Aaron are perfect hosts and gentlemen - both are genuinely interested in their guests and go above and beyond to help you with whatever you need. They have all the local knowledge and some great personal recommendations and stories of cool little things to look out for - ask them to teach you a few key words and make them a cup of tea as a thanks :) Even the girls who clean the hostel add to the friendly vibe - they don't just clean, they'll join you on the roof top for a drink in the evening, or come out with you when the 20+ guests all head out to Paceville at night. I liked that because it was smaller than your standard hostel there was always 20+ new friends to go out with for the day or night. The roof top deserves a mention - its a good place for an afternoon nap, the upper level has an excellent view, the Jacuzzi is a bit of fun and it's a good place for everyone to hang out before the rooftop closed at 11pm - perfect timing to go and head out.

Malta has the whole 'We shut down for Siesta Time' thing so they are there in the morning til about 11, and again in the evening from 7 -11 or so, every day. The hostel organised a few day trip to the islands, pool parties, BBQs on the roof top...make sure you join. Even if you don't join a planned activity there is always someone in the morning to join or join you wherever you plan on heading too. The hostel is an old home (3 levels, some private rooms 'next door' and a roof top terrace) with an occupancy of about max, 38 guests - it definitely adds to the 'homey' feeling. The rooms are really clean and linen is provided. Importantly I felt really safe and that my things were not going to get stolen. It gets warm at night in summer so just use your bug repellent and there are multiple fans in all rooms.

The kitchen is fully equipped if you want to stay in and cook, there is cable TV, you can do laundry, plenty of books to borrow, towels to rent, a donation basket of prior traveller's unwanted toiletries, wifi all over the building (always a draw card) a small super market around the corner which is open late and a resident Boxer that sometimes visits if you want a puppy cuddle. St Julian's is so central to everything - just base yourself here and get the bus everywhere (Aaron and Chris will tell you which to get where). The only downside: climbing uphill every afternoon from the bus, and every drunken night from Paceville!

Room Tip: ask for the sea room if you want a good sleep - ask for the surf room if you're happy to have 13...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
USA
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stayed in three different hostels in the St. Julian's/Sliema area and while the others were great, Hostel Malti blew them away. The rooms are clean and comfortable (although like any hostel, good luck sleeping in the 12-person room) but what really sets Hostel Malti apart is the atmosphere. The terrace with jacuzzi is a great place to hang out and meet people and Aaron and Chris organize day trips, nights out and BBQs that are a lot of fun. Particularly if you're traveling solo, this is the place to go. The only downside is the walk up the hill -- not far, but steep!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Hostel Malti is awesome, the staff are awesome- Aaron and Chris will sort anything out for you and help to plan your day. There are cleaners always working to keep the hostel clean and tidy- which it is without fail. It has a great backpacker vibe and its very easy to meet people and have fun there. The facilities are good, our room was a bit small but this didn't affect our stay at all (we're English so it gave us something to moan to each other about haha). The kitchen is fully equipped and the rooftop is a great place to chill out, so overall I would definitely recommend Hostel Malti as a great place to stay!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in June for a few days and was so amazed with how nice and friendly the owners were I actually ended up extending my stay a couple more days. They were very accommodating even when my plans were up in the air and offered to book me a room at another hostel when they were all booked up. I would definitely recommend it for anyone staying in Malta. The atmosphere was very friendly and fun!

• Stayed June 2014
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 25 July 2014

If you are planning a trip to Malta, 5 nights is not enough! Hostel Malti was an excellent choice of accommodation and is what made my stay in Malta memorable. The cleaners worked twice a day to ensure the hostel was always clean. Aaron and Chris were around in the mornings and evening to assist in planning out your day. Chris always ensured that there was always something to do, and even went to the extra effort to help me find a relative. Aaron was brilliant at recommending the best places to visit ...right down to the best place to get cake. The atmosphere in the Hostel was very welcoming, friendly and there was never a shortage of people to meet and explore Malta with. The hostel facilities were brilliant. There was never a shortage of showers and the roof top Terrence as a great hide away/place to meet for sundown drinks. The kitchen had everything you needed to cook when you wanted, which was great for shared meals. I slept in a six bed dorm which had the comfiest mattress and heaps of space for your belongings in secure lockers. My favourite thing about Hostel Malti is the daily visits from Chata, Aaron's dog. After a long day of sightseeing, to sit down and chill out with the playful pooch just added to the experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Hostel Malti was my favorite hostel during my study abroad this past spring.
I decided to go on a vacation by myself from Rome where I was studying so I stayed in Malta for a week on my spring break. It was amazing! I met so many people and new friends on the island and even met some new friends from Rome that were also staying at HM!
The hostel is always clean and a safe environment. Everybody at the hostel is so welcoming and friendly. Even when I mixed up my reservations they fixed it without a problem and let me add on unexpected days too! The rooftop was by far my favorite part, with the views of St. Julian's bay and the city life below. They even had pub crawls and a St. Patricks day celebration when I was there and a rooftop BBQ. I will definitely be going back to Hostel Malti.
P.S. Definitely visit the blue lagoon with the hostel trip!

• Stayed March 2014