“Wonderful experience”

Price range: US$59 - US$108
Cuisines: Sushi, Diner, Japanese
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Zen was Malta's first Japanese restaurant and it is still widely regarded to be the best, with a wide selection of specialities and delicacies including miso soup, sushi, sashimi, vegetable & prawn tempura, as well as fish, meat and vegetarian dishes traditionally cooked and served in our Teppanyaki private room. The contemporary style of the restaurant blends effortlessly with the chic menu, providing an all-round, Japanese-style dining experience. Japanese cuisine is a ritual in itself - a celebration of time-honoured traditions, fresh ingredients and charming hospitality. Our knowledgeable staff will be happy to guide you - whether this is your first taste of Japanese cuisine or the latest of many!
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We've been to zen several times. We really enjoyed the food and the service was excellent. Thanks also to the great staff and management zen always makes our special occasions ones to remember!! Well done and we recommend zen very much

1  Thank Marlene B

Reviewed 27 March 2014

On March 21 we went to Zen for dinner, a party of 5. The food quality and presentation was ok but nothing more. I lived and worked 30 years in Asia so I think I am entitled to judge.

The seaweed sheet for the handroll was "soggy" instead of crisp, but my real issue is with the pricing policy of this establishment. Items are very expensive. For a tiny bowl of Edamame and steamed rice and extra EUR 3.75 and EUR 3.00 was charged respectively.
I complained to the head witress and she asked me to leave the email address as the owner would contact me. Till now I have not heard anything. There is much better value than the Zen in Malta.

1  Thank edyleu
aellul, Owner at Zen Japanese Sushi Bar & Teppanyaki, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Reviewer.

Thank you for your feedback.

We do endeavour to follow up on our "genuine" customers’ input; consequently we always take “constructive complaints” seriously.

However your case aims to be just a "support" to the previous reviewer since, as you might very well remember, you were attending the same party at the same table on the same eve.

If only Tripadvisor could be physically present at any reviewer's dining experience all this would be definitely spared to them and to any reader.

Last but not least it is brave to say "we are still waiting for the owner to contact us" when your tripadvisor review was sent by phone even before having paid the bill.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

A half chicken breast with 3 broccoli bits, two mini slices of steamed carrots and 3 beans for the very fair price of 22,35€ ... That is exactly what I had in my plate.

Also, since the vegetables were a bit insufficient I had to ask for some extra rice.3€ a tiny bowl.

So 25,35€ just for a regular main course.

In my opinion this is a ridiculous price. The food and the service were ok but way out of reality for the asked price.

One can have a wonderful dinner for half or a third of the price of Zen in the very same area where you can get as good Japanese food if not better for a way lower bill at the end.

Dear Reviewer.

Thank you for your feedback which I was most concerned to read.
I was informed of your situation and it was evident on the onslaught what your mission would be.

We do endeavour to follow up on our customers’ input; consequently we always take “constructive complaints” seriously.
However in your case I do believe that only very few readers would spare precious time reading your review “a second time”.
Threatening employees that you will bad mouth Zen with all your friends and foe and insulting the Maltese Island’s position on the Japanese culinary capability leaves me somewhat bewildered and doubtful, to say the least, of your ability to judge and review restaurants unbiasedly. I will leave the “small minded comments” in your review to all Tripadvisor reviewers’ (or any other reviewers’ at that) better judgement. I do not have a shadow of doubt of what their reasoning and conclusions would be.
Let me assure you that we “only value” valid constructive comments which help us, (or any other restaurateur in any part of the world, Malta included), improve or adjust when and if the need arises but most definitely will not entertain your method and slandering comments.
Reviews should be constructive and credible and the day that Tripadvisor will filter comments such as yours is the day we will achieve constructive criticism in lieu of “keyboard terrorism”.

Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

The quality of the food here cannot be faulted. Ingredients were fresh and the tastes and overall tepanyaki experience are authentic. However at €80 per person including wine, this is one of the most expensive meals I ever had anywhere in my life. What makes it even worse is that the portion sizes are mere morsels.

Also I want all my food in the plate to be at the same temperature so the fact I had to wait for my main course to be cooked while my very small portion of rice and veg were getting cold is another thing I didn't appreciate much.

There are many other places in the area that serve food that is just as good, if not better, more appropriately sized portions and at least half the price. Once bitten twice shy.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

If you love sushi, this is definitely the place to go. The food and service were excellent. The ambiance was traditionally Japanese (the waitresses were wearing kimonos!). It is a bit pricey, but I do highly recommend it!