“Dont book this, if you not planning to party all night”
Review of Bernard Hotel

Bernard Hotel
Ranked #28 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 17 September 2008

I booked this hotel for 10 days, but I only stayed there for 3 nights. The hotel is in the middle of the bar district. The closest neighbour is a bar, 10 meterss away from the window. I also think there was a conecting door from the reseption in to another bar.

The place is noicy. You cant get to sleep before the bar close at 3-4 in the morning due to bass sound and high music. When the bars are closed drunk people run up and down the steps. They knock at my door almost every night.

The cleaning lady was coming in to my room every morning about 8 o'clock, even if I had Do not Disturb. She sayed goodmorning, and I kicked her out every morning. The last day i barricaded my door whit my suitcases.

The room was pretty poor, dark. The aircondition dit not cool, and it was wery noisy. The sink in the bathrom dit not let out the water.

I do not understand how this hotel has got 4 stars. All other 4 stars hotel in Maltaq is Luxury compaered to this. In Spain this hotel would be 2 stars.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 August 2008

We booked this place for only one night, since our flight got us in Malta at midnight (hotel after 2 AM) and we thought it’s not worth spending too much money on a short night. So first night we booked this hotel and for the rest of the trip we booked Intercontinental, which is a half block away. This place was 1/3 of the price of Intercontinental and we got to hotel after 2 AM. So we thought, it can't be that bad. But it was a huge mistake!!!!!! I won’t go back even if they pay me to.
Why?
1- We couldn't sleep a minute- The loud music from the bar in front is so loud that you can't believe it and doesn't stop literally till 4 AM!!!!!
2- The beds are from 1950s or they feel from 1950s - old and dirty
3- insects in the room
4- The cleaning gentleman WALKED in to the room in the morning after a quick knock on the door without waiting for me to say "come in" and WHILE I WAS CHANGING!!!!!!!! He just walked into the room!!!!!! I couldn't believe it. I was outraged.
5- breakfast was inedible. Awful. Greasy. No choice. Coffee one of the worst I have ever had.
6- This place is not even a hostel. I can only imagine young people with no money would have no problem staying there. I am not sure who gave them any stars.

KEEP AWAY you are worth a better place to stay!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VeryPickyLondon_UK
Reviewed 22 July 2008

My partner and I are both in our early twenties, so we thought The Bernard would be ideal for us as we enjoy our nightlife and thought the hotel would be perfect due to it's close location to all the clubs and bars. Little did we know the hotel is situated literally on the door step of all the major clubs. Even for us we found it too noisy with the music going on til 4/5 in the morning, then building work - both outside our door in the hotel, and ourside our "balcony" (which faced a brick wall) - starting at 7am.
The room itself was thankfully clean and tidy and the housekeepers did do a good job. I didn't really appreciate the manners of some of the reception staff however.
The breakfast food was definately something not to shout about and would have rathered a slice of pizza from the kebab shop next to the hotel every morning instead.
The first time I set foot in the pool I was left choking for the next half an hour due to the amount of chlorine in it.
All in all, an ok stay....although, i would never stay at this hotel again, and definatley would not recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2008

The hotel itself was reasonable. The room we were given initially had no proper window and was on the coridoor leading to the breakfast room. This meant that the noise from the clubs kept you awake until about four/five and then breakfast noises started about seven! We were moved to a slightly better room, with a window that was a bit better than the first one. But it was right by the lift so people coming in at five o'clock still in party mode woke me up. Even as a mature couple we enjoy a bit of life, but this was way over the top. I have never seen so many young people out partying at once before. It was very noisy.
We didn't have a problem with the cleanliness, our room was cleaned daily and the linens changed.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone over the age of 19.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2008

Under no circumstances stay here. This is not a 4 star hotel. We were shown 4 tatty old rooms very small and decided we wanted our money back when we found the dead cockroach. The location is not relevent. You can walk from one end of St Julians to the other in about 10 mins. And taxi's are cheap and plentiful!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Bas2309, Operations Manager at Bernard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2008

I would like to comment on the below mentioned review.

First of all it is clearly outlined in all brochures, websites etc that the Bernard is located in the heart of the night life thus one may expect some noise form the bars surrounding the Hotel.

Our rooms are certified by the Malta Tourism Authority and inspected regularly. Furthermore we have painted all rooms and installed new bathrooms.

We have replaced all mattresses with new ones and changed curtains and bedspreads.

Last but not least we treat all our rooms and public areas. We are contracted by Comtec Pest Control Ltd who treat all areas and rooms every fortnight. The fact that the cockroach was found dead means that they they do their job well and that the treatment is effective.

Should anyone have any further questions or require any sort of information please feel free to contact me on sebastiaan@hotelbernard.com.mt

Kind Regards,

Sebastiaan van den Berg

Reviewed 13 June 2008

Not really clean, not really dirty. Furniture needs renovation. Cleaning people wake you up at 8.30 shouting "Hellohellohello" and knocking loudly at the door even if they know the discos downstreet played music until 4 AM.
Breakfast is poor, beverages are definitely not to try.
The position is nonetheless excellent, just in the very heart of St. Julians nightlife, 5 min walk from the beach and the shops, 10 min walk from the bus stop.
Don't choose it if you enjoy to sleep at night!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2008

28.4.08
This hotel is about 15 feet away from several very loud nightclubs and bars which stay open till 4am. Then the noise of clubbers leaving and having fun.. The major building work in the Bernard hotel starts about 7 am and continues thoughout the day, drilling, hammering and the ever popular angle grinder. ! Dont hope to get any sleep till you leave and head home. The hotel itself is over the top of a kebab bar, where breakfast is served. The hotel is currently having a new bar built beside the kebab shop (where you have breakfast) its on the ground floor dirrectly under the accomodation. it is also having a major extention built 6 floors high and will probabally double the hotel size, painters are painting inside during the day, and everywhere is covered in dust.. !
i am guessing but i dont think this extensive work will be finished in 2008.. i have numerous pictures of the extention and the views of breezblock from the rooms, (we moved once) and our friends moved 2 times. before we where far enough away from the noise to sleep with the help of ear defenders.. Go to St Julians, but dont stay here !

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends