“Not the Ritz but you get what you pay for!”

The St. George's Park Hotel
Ranked #33 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Belfast
“Not the Ritz but you get what you pay for!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

I'm not going to sit here and tell you it was horrible like previous reviews. It was exactly as i expected for the ridiculously cheap price that i paid. Check in was quick and painless. Staff throughout my stay were helpful and friendly. I had booked a single room with a sea view. I got 3 beds in a very spacious room with a tiny view of the sea. Not the best view but i couldn't complain. The room was basic but perfect for the money. My only issue was that the room was quite cold during the evening. Probaly not helped by the horrible weather! The big bonus about this hotel for me was the location. On the doorstep of lovely restaurants and the nightlife of Paceville. Although the noise was a nightmare when i wasn't intoxicated and trying to sleep! The All Inclusive was ok. I didnt make use of the food as i'm rather fussy regarding what i eat but i did enjoy a few beers which more than paid for it. The entertainment wasn't up to much but i suppose this wasn't peak season and from speaking to the entertainment guy he had good plans for the summer. Overall this hotel is in a perfect location which was my main positive. For the price you pay this hotel is fine and i don't see what people are really complaining about.

4 Thank davymacka
Blue Sea H, Manager at The St. George's Park Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear guests,

Thank you for your comments which will help us improve standards. I am pleased that all in all you felt you got value for money from your stay with us, which is our main aim, and we will be striving to better everything in the future.

The Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newtownards, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

I stayed at this hotel in a self catering apartment for one week 2-9 Feb 2013. Having read some of the very negative reviews before I got there I had concerns to say the least.
However I was pleasantly surprised. The apartment was spacious and clean and the kitchen was adequately though not particularly well equipped - a microwave would have been useful, there was very little cutlery.
It was cold in the apartment sometimes but there were plenty of blankets and this was only a problem for a little while in the evening and before bed. During the day I took myself off out sightseeing (usually warmer outside than indoors in the winter in Malta, I'm told ) and a couple of glasses of the very reasonably priced wine soon took the chill off in the evening.
The television was quite elderly and had no remote control and there were only two English speaking channels,CNN and BBC World.
My apartment overlooked the pool area on the 3rd floor and I was not bothered by any noise.
The staff were friendly and housekeeping called every other day to check if I needed fresh towels etc.
The hotel is conveniently situated a short walk from the bus and buses to Valetta are frequent and cheap - a 7 day ticket cost 12 euro and will take you all over the island.
I enjoyed my stay at Blue Sea St Georges Park. It was excellent value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank magsmc51
Blue Sea H, Manager at The St. George's Park Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your comments! Hopefully these will assist future travellers on booking our accomodation.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

The Manager
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

I booked by package trip to Blue Sea La Vallette Resort from Easy Jet holidays. I was emailed several weeks before my trip to say that the hotel was closed and that I would be staying at the sister hotel Blue sea. When I arrived on the day I was told that my original booking was in place and I had to go back to the Blue sea- the Young, Male receptionist was quite brusque when i tried to explain and show my email. Thankfully I only had to walk back to La Vallette which was only three minutes away. The receptionist was more helpful and explained that the hotel was indeed opened but i would need to take my meals at the Blue sea. I was given a blue wrist band and was upgraded to all inclusive.
The hotel appeared bleak in the sense it was empty and out of season. My room was very cold at night and the noisy heater would only blow out cold air. Thank heavens for the grey blankets stored in the cupboard. My room was massive and was very clean. I had a balcony view over looking the pool. No problem with hot water in the bathroom suite.
I had read reviews of the hotel being noisy at night. Luckily, I seemed to have escaped that for most of the week, but on my final night (Sunday) loud techno music was heard from 7pm-4am and was relentless. My whole room was vibrating from the bass of the music. Even with ear plugs in you just couldn't sleep. No sound proofing to block the bass noise. I was told during the Summer months the music is loud most nights so worth keeping in mind.
The food in the restaurant- which opened for sittings three times a day, was a buffet type affair. I'm a vegetarian and I found plenty of choice and tasty stuff to eat and the waiting staff very friendly. I was asked on most days if I wanted my room serviced by a lovely, friendly women who was working on the floor.
I was told that the hotel had just recently changed management and they were trying to improve the service.
My trip was very cheap and I wasn't expecting 5* service. The hotel is very near to St Julian /Selima area and the local transport was cheap and easy to use.
I enjoyed my stay and found it very good value, the only problem for me ever staying there would be the loud music coming from the clubs.
Malta is such a lovely island and Maltese people friendly. I would recommend this hotel if you're on a tight budget and not bothered by noise from techno clubs (I know people who would be able to sleep through anything). I think under new management the service will get better.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Radioorange
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your comments. These will be taken on board to improve our services and installations.

I am very happy that you seem to have had a nice stay in general.

The Manger.
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

Overview: Just back from a week here with three friends - I had a room to myself and my friends had a one bed apartment. Overall, this is pretty low on the enjoyment scale, but in fairness it was a very cheap break away (all inclusive).

Positives: The one bed apt had a lovely view over harbour and pool and get generous light. Staff generally v friendly. There was a good variety of foods (breads/hot and cold dishes/cakes, desserts etc) in each meal. There was free entertainment each week in the bar. Good location for getting out and about, particularly clubs and busy pubs (be aware this is a very loud area, and this was in February so I imagine the summer is crazy!!) Cleaners come every other day. Rooms have a/c and heating

Negatives: It was cold and there was very little bed covers (old.worn, holes in sheets) though you can request further covers at reception.
The noise protection in the rooms is zero. The doors are like cardboard so after two nights of no sleep I had to invest in ear plugs. Believe me, every little noise will be heard in your room !!
This is a very busy area with a lot of clubs and pubs that produce a lot of noise.
The quality of main course food in the buffet (all inclusive) is generally very poor (agreed by all four of us).
Smoking is not allowed at all in the hotel...If you are a smoker don't stay !! I am not one but two of the party were. Smoking not allowed even on balconies (???? I have never heard this-it makes no sense to me!!) with E150 fine if you are caught. We were on floor 7 and my friends had to walk to the front door on ground floor for a cigarette.
They charge E12 to rent a kettle for your room and provide no tea/coffee facilities in any room
Tea/Coffee is only available with dinner, even on all-inclusive
Bathrooms had no amenities except soap (not even shower gel or shampoo) and you have to heat an emersion type unit in the bathroom for hot water (three times I had no water and had to wait for this unit to heat)
Beds are hard and quite cheap, old and quite uncomfortable.
Wi-fi is expensive (about E15 a week) and is not free anywhere
Staff will not deliver anything to rooms (I had to collect towels and toilet paper at reception)
Cleaners are not good. When I arrived there were hairs all over the bathroom and the locker unit had not even been wiped and still had drinks stains from last stay. I found dubious hairs in my (supposedly freshly made) bed upon arrival. Telephone thick with dust (I'd say it was weeks since it was even wiped). Bathroom cleaning is not at all thorough. Finally, the hotel rooms have no views (facing a huge office block) with virtually no light.

Overview:
Although this was a very cheap holiday, in my view basic standards were not really been met. The hotel is probably ideal if you are 19 and on the beer for a week or two in the summer with your mates and you don't mind the most basic levels of quality/cleanliness and general standards. The staff are polite but don't go out of their way to help. The food is cheap and cheerless (two of us ate out four days out of 7 with exception to breakfast which is quite acceptable) Really, this is quite a grim hotel and the next time, I would certainly pay a few extra euro and book somewhere better. My suggestion is if you are older/have kids/like reasonable standards out of your holiday, probably better not to stay here !! If you do, don't go all inclusive. Most importantly - don't forget your ear plugs !!!! Finally, if you smoke, book somewhere else to save you making a lot of walks downstairs !

Room Tip: Pay the money and book an apartment. The hotel rooms are noisy (as only one very thin door between...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Blue Sea H, Public Relations Manager at The St. George's Park Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear Guests,

Our apologies for not having answered sooner, we will study closely your comments, and rectify them to the best of our ability.

St. Georges Park & La Vallette
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

my friend booked a 4 day stay for us at Blue Sea ST George's. (2nd feb-5th feb 2013) Dispite reading terrible reveiws before we went we had a brill time. The food was nice, it was hot. we had brand new mattress on are beds, the rooms were cleaned every day, the staff were all very friendly. We were all inclusive and the drinks were great. We met lot's of lovely people by the pool area, leigh the guy now employed to do entertainment even got us playin a game of darts. we packed so much in on are 4 days there we really had nothing to complain about. if your not looking a 5* hotel this is defo the place to go. convient to everything. would totally recommend and would book to go again.

Room Tip: we were in a room on the 2nd floor which faced out to the pool area and never heard any noise from t...
2 Thank Kathy B
Dear guests,

Thank you for your comments, which will hopefully help future guests to choose our hotel after reading online comments.

i am glad you had an enjoyable stay.

uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

well after looking at reviews we weren't over excited about going but well speedy check in didnt have to pay deposit either were given ground floor 309 lovely twin room new mattresses newly decorated nice and clean with pool view meals were plenty full and good choice carmello and staff in restaurant were pleseant and rose wine lush even met one of new managers pleasent man barstaff were great albert marcel bablo luke and raoul they even made me hot toddys bless them drinks ok plenty of choice and yes you can get drunk on them so be carefull really would have liked to have one of the pools heated would have been great animations team were great eve was soo funny calling the bingo and leigh very dishy rabs you up for a dance bless him overall we loved our stay pleasegive the new managers some leeway as theyve not long took over the place yes it does need improvement but hey for the price all i say is that if your pleasent everyone pleasent to you i would definetly go back as the main strip is on the doorstep if you want free wifi try the red bull and connect to linkys the food is great there too

Room Tip: we had twin room ground floor 309 pool view but take some ear plugs incase
3 Thank phsfraggle
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your kind comments.Hopefully these will help future clients choose our hotel.

I am happy that you had a nice time, and I will pass on your comments to the relevant staff.

Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2013

Myself and 3 friends stayed at the Blue Sea La Vallette Resort in St Juliens Bay Malta from Thursday to Sunday night on an all inclusive basis. We paid £120. We had a great time, the food was tasty, hot and plentiful. We had drinks in the bar every night. The staff were polite and courteous. There was some noise from the bass in the night clubs which went on all night but it didn't stop us sleeping so wasn't any problem. The shower sent water in every direction except the shower head when we tried to use it but it was funny rather than annoying. When you pay such a low amount you don't expect luxury and perfection but you get clean, tidy and functional. I was very happy with such a cheap break.

1 Thank Clare M
Blue Sea H, Manager at The St. George's Park Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Dear guests,

Thank you for your comments!

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.

The Manager
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,415 reviews
Dean Hamlet Hotel
Dean Hamlet Hotel
#21 of 34 in Saint Julian's

Been to The St. George's Park Hotel? Share your experiences!