“Better than i expected” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Dublin, Ireland
“Better than i expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Stayed from 25th March until 2nd April. We were booked into the LaVallette and i have to say - we seemed to have gotten the better option. We were self catering even though we only needed hot water for our tea. Its very basic and no microwave but there was an oven. Kettle rental available also for a price. We had to use laundry room in Blue Sea as machines weren't working in our one. 3.50e per token but they don't tell you the machine takes 2 tokes and the dryer takes 2 to get a load dry - 14e for one load of washing to be washed and dry is very steep !! Beds were extremely comfy with memory foam thick mattresses and pillows were too. Didn't see cleaner in 5 days so it was help yourself from the trolley parked in the corridor which was fine. The latter 3 days there was a different cleaner on and she did her job to perfection.
The management didn't know which rooms were vacant so one evening when returning i noticed a couple arguing at reception as they were given a key to a room where it was occupied - tip - do not leave key in reception as if its there - they assume the room is vacant.... It was located perfectly as it was walking distance from everything and everywhere but far enough away not to hear the nightlife. Stayed in room 8003 and it was good enough for us as we were out most of the time and only returned to sleep. However, our friends stayed across the corridor in 8012 and the wind would rattle the patio door so their sleep was interrupted sometimes. Don't expect alot from this and if you only want somewhere to put your head down - its fine... Everybody saying its cheap and you get what you pay for but the average cost of a room in places in Malta is 15e per night. Wouldn't recommend All Inclusive unless you want free drinks by the pool.as the food is very limited. Don't think i would return again though unless i couldn't get anywhere else. Seems to be hit and miss if you enjoy your stay so good luck !!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank 656ElaineM656
Blue Sea H, Front Office Manager at The St. George's Park Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your comments, both positive and negative.

These will be taken into account in order to improve services.

St.Georges Park & La Vallete.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Runcorn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

I am going to write this review using every part of my experience and what I saw from other holiday makes whilst staying at this resort. I will try to keep totally neutral and not bring my personal preferences into it as I would like the review to be a help to anybody wishing to book this resort.

There were many pros and many cons to this hotel which I will list at the end after talking about the main points in the body of the review.

Firstly, it was very, very, very cheap for a week here, including flights. So this needs to be taken into consideration over any of the problems. It is so cheap because the place is dated, the rooms are tired and the food is cooked in huge quantities with low quality produce. What else can you expect for the price you paid? If you expected any more, you should have paid more and went to a different hotel.

I thought to myself a few times, "if they just changed the TV, if they just changed the bedding, if they just changed the 'sofa'", but if they did this for all the rooms, they would have to spend 10's of thousands because they have so many rooms, then the price would go up too and you'd probably be better choosing a different hotel for the same price.

The hotel was clean, there was always a member of staff doing some sort of cleaning, the room was spotless when I entered it, bar under the beds. I moved two single beds together as I went as half of a couple, there was a lot of dust under it, but when the cleaner came in the morning, this was removed. They even swapped the blanket for a double as they could see what I'd tried to do.

The shower produced hot water, which didn't seem to run out. However, the shower head was without doubt, the worst and oldest shower head that I've ever seen. Once again, if they changed all the shower heads, it would cost a small fortune.

The location of this hotel would be hard to better, from my room you could see the sea in two different locations and the harbour, along with both swimming pools. There was a nice view of a few cranes, but this seemed to be normal for Malta. Within minutes you were at the harbour, which is beautiful, a slightly longer walk and you were at a tiny beach. To get a bus, you had to walk to the end of the road and wait at maximum 30 minutes, can't really beat that.

Some problems were that the pool toilets (male), wreaked of stale urine, which from my view was because the waste pipe for one urinal meant the liquid had to flow uphill. I'm no scientist, but that's not possible and must be changed. Also, even though there was signs everywhere stating that the hotel was 'a non smoking hotel', people where smoking where ever they wanted, but not inside the hotel from my view. It was rather annoying trying to sunbathe and there was some moron polluting the air and passing his second hand smoke into other peoples lungs without care. The staff need to make sure that this doesn't happen as it's the main reason I won't return to this hotel.

There were a few more small problems such as some of the lights in the stairwell were broken and didn't get replaced for the whole week I was there, there was no queuing system in the restaurant, apart from by the British guests. Foreigners would just barge in front of who ever they wanted to be in front of. This is something the hotel should look to vigilate as I saw it getting more people than myself angry. Also, the ice cream needs to be restocked quicker as there was never enough for me to get any.

The hotel states that there are board games available to rent from the reception, but when I asked, all they had was two packs of cards. This should either be extended or not advertised so that there is no chance of disappointment.

The pools are cold, but this is stated on the website, the gym is not free, which is stated on the website, expensive drinks (JD, Baileys, Southern Comfort) are not free, this is your own fault if you need to drink these, choose another free drink.

The food has a decent variety, there's a lot of it, if you can deal with foreigners barging past you to get what they want before you, then the restaurant is ok. It is clean, the staff are always removing your used plates and the bar is sufficiently staffed.

All of the staff in the complex are lovely, nothing is too much, always a smile, all make total effort to speak English to everybody who isn't Maltese. I thought I'd mention Jose Miguel who made my holiday pleasurable by speaking Spanish to me as I told him I was learning to speak it.

In the foyer, there may be a lady called Carmel who helps you with excursions, she is lovely and doesn't seem commission based. She will help you choose the excursions to go on and always will wish you to have a nice day.

Now for some good points. The rooms were big, well my room was huge for the price I paid, I had a nice view, it was clean and there was air con and a heater if necessary. The TV was terrible, broken and had hardly any channels, but I only watched it when my other half was getting changed.

There was plently of greenery around, there was a nice atmosphere, the pool design was nice, there was a lot of loungers and matresses.

Overall I think this hotel is definitely worth the tiny amount of money they ask for as I definitely ate and drank enough to pay for the holiday in total and I'm only 11 stone in weight.

If you moan about this hotel, then it was your own fault for not researching it first. I knew all the faults before I went, therefore it was not a shock to me and definitely a 10/10 in value for money. I saw that the people moaning about the place had extended or maxed out their budgets to come here. The people who looked like they were having a good time, tended to look better off in terms of money and therefore weren't looking for ways to get more out of their money than was available.

So, don't expect too much and you'll have a great time. Malta is beautiful.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
20 Thank M88ULV
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your extensive review, which I am sure will help others decide on whether to book with us or not.

I will take up all of your comments, and pass on your regards to the staff you mentioned.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013 via mobile

The hotel has two buildings the main reception building had the nice rooms which people like andwhere all the pictures where taken for the travel agent advert. However when we got there we got put into the other complex closer to the sea which is worse than a student flat. The shower didnt work had to rob a shower head from next door the toilet didnt flush and we didnt get a double bed which is a must for a honeymoon couple. Throughout the week we noticed an ant problem they where getting in by the window climbing in our shoes.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank neilwkay
Blue Sea H, Front Office Manager at The St. George's Park Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Dear Guest,

Firstly thank you for your review, secondly, it us unfortunate that you feel so strongly about what received, as stated in the title.

In general guests prefer the rooms in La Vallette,as they have been less used, and also it is quieter. so I am sorry this was not your case.

We do aim to resolve faults as efficiently as possible when reported at reception.

Unfortunately double beds are only on request.

Once again I am sorry your stay did not meet up to your expectations.

St.Georges Park and La Vallete

Travellers are raving about these Saint Julian's hotels

MALTA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

I booked this hotel for a long weekend break between the 28th to 31st March with my family and relatives. To tell you the truth, I was not looking forward to go at this hotel after all bad reviews I have read! But..... it was all opposite!!.... When we arrived, we were given a blue band since we booked an all inclusive package. The receptionist was quite helpful and after having lunch (which was quite satisfying), we went back and were given our room keys. Both rooms were quite clean with white linen and white towels (not a single stain on!). I must say that I loved the food at this hotel... I did not expect to see any lobsters or any veal at this 3 star hotel, but I must say that I had what I had paid for! Drinks were fine too. All hotel staff were quite friendly and helpful. During the day and evening, there was some animation which we really enjoyed!
What I must say is, that only fussy people will comment for every small bit of thing! I have recently travelled to London and Italy and stayed in a 3 star hotel, and must say that this hotel has the same standards of these two. Also, in these hotels (London and Italy), food was not so good compared to this one.
Regarding the noises in the nearabouts, I have heard too, but not that much that I couldn't sleep!!!

Room Tip: a room facing the pool would be much better if you don't sleep with noises!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank JOAN A
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your comments. I am happy that you had a good time, and found us values for money.

Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

Wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone!
First of all the location is not great if you want to get some sleep and its filthy. On arrival (which was at 1am), we were greeted by by queue of people at the reception desk being dealt with by a single man who barely looked 17, it took about an hour to check in. The room was dusty and the bedding looked like it hadn't been changed and there was a musky smell in the kitchen and bathroom areas.

In our week stay our room was cleaned twice and that was after complaining twice. Basic things like toilet rolls were not topped up so every time we ran out we had to ask at the reception who refused to bring it up to your room but would ask you to come down and collect it!
The staff in the restaurant were friendly but the reception staff were rude and didn't care. The cleaners idea of cleaning was limited to emptying bins only (never even made beds!).

As it was cold tried to use indoor pool but was surprised to find it wasn't heated! My children were very disappointed as they never got to swim.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Bobo353
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your comments, which will be treated seriously.

We do aim to check in guests as quick as possible, but at certain times of the day, depending on flight arrivals, this may take longer than wished. It is unfortunate that you found our reception staff unhelpful, and i will obviously comment on this.

I will also pass on your positive comments to the restaurant staff.

Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

Just came back from the worst hotel I have ever stayed in toilets terrible smelly,no toilet rolls half the time flush is awful food got a bit better as the week went on would not come back and when I asked if I could borrow a hair dryer they looked at me as if I had 2heads.

• Stayed March 2013
5 Thank pauline176
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your comments! We do try to keep all of the toilets clean on a regular basis, but I will pass on this comment to housekeeping.

Unfortunately hairdryers, are not available for hire!

Nazareth, Israel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

We stayed at the hotel from 31 March till 4 April.
We were with our baby (2 years old) as well as another 2 couples.
The hotel is located near the center of bubs and disco area , for young it may be perfect , for us it was a nightmare.
The hotel is not clean at all , lobby is very poor , the floor is dusty everywhere as well as bad smells in the hotel .
They don't clean the rooms every day (for us they cleaned the room just once during 4 nights!!!!).
when we asked the reception in the second day(Tuesday) why the rooms hasn't been cleaned , they reply us that rooms cleaned just on Monday , Wednesday and Friday !! Actually they cleaned the room just once on Monday. in the days they don't clean you have to make it yourself , replace towels and toilet paper alone in the reception . Amazing !! take your housekeeper with you if you are coming to this hotel .
the TV didn't work in my room as well as my freinds . I heard also some tourists in the hotel complaining about that .
in connection with Hygiene and cleaning it was the worst hotel I have ever been .
not recommended at all especially for families with children. pay a little more and get something more better . I'm very disappointed of it .

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ayede
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your comments which will be taken seriously in order to help improve services.

All public areas are cleaned continually, although due to the large volume of guests coming and going, at some times these obvously get dusty.

Cleaning is 4 times weekly, and bed linnen, and towels are also changed. Outside of these days linnen, and towels are also available at reception if more are needed.

Our technical staff is on hand to repair as soon as possible, when faults are reported to the reception.

As you say, we are situated in avery lively area which is well known in Malta, sea/pool view rooms are available on booking, or at reception on paying a small surcharge.

Kind regads,

3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,392 reviews
Dean Hamlet Hotel
Dean Hamlet Hotel
#20 of 34 in Saint Julian's

Been to The St. George's Park Hotel? Share your experiences!