“Had potential but let down by....”

The St. George's Park Hotel
Ranked #31 of 32 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Southport, United Kingdom
“Had potential but let down by....”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Came back yesterday and the place had so much potential to be great. The problem was the lifts never worked and being on 8th floor this was an inconvenience. The food was very average, the stews were nice but the fish was sloppy and the chicken was average. The main problem was the heat in the canteen when we were having our breakfast, lunch and tea. The temperature was soo hot and the staff didn't seem to care for our welfare.

1 Thank LyndsayP247

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
lowestoft, suffolk
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I stay three days booked to stay at st George at I knew this one was not good however whichever you book you get put in either. I only ate at st George one it was the same food bakend fish, meat, pasta and veg and soup which what ever colour it was was told it was vegtable everytime. Didn't sit around pool as there wasn't any space and was loud drinking games etc and I like really hot weather to sunbathe and it was 23ish. there eating re was inside with no outside terrace more like canteen. the evening entertainment was in a basement. the lifts rarely worked the fan was hanging out of celing by wires. would not stay at this hotel. I tried to get breakfast and dinner and was told due to power cut to wait and wait and wait the que was building at other hotel and I was going to miss my coach for trip. there were no snacks or packed breakfast. I ordered breakfast for 730 only to be told there not open so cant get it. should have gone self catering. halls to rooms look like cell block h the corridors look much better and nicer at st georges.

Room Tip: ask for seaview but be aware it will be at vallette
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank 21ukchip

Travellers are raving about these Saint Julian's hotels

Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Where do I begin?.... I guess check-in. Our flight landed at around midnight and by the time we got to the hotel it was about 00:45, we were the only people checking in so figured it would be quick and painless.... hahaha. There was clearly a problem from the off, once id given him the paperwork and things he clearly couldn't find us on any bookings and started making calls in his mother tongue to people looking rather distressed, which is fine, but when after 30 mins of standing with no explanation and asking if there's a problem to be told no (a blatant lie) it gets quite annoying, anyway after 45 mins we are given a key and our all inclusive wrist bands and he pretty much turns away. After having to ask where the room is and what time the breakfast is and where we go to eat in the morning and how to get up to the 8th floor as we are left with no welcome pack or even a direction we finally get to the lift. An 8 floor hotel with probably around 500 rooms, 4 lifts, perfect..... oh wait, 3 of them are broke and the one that works there is a sign that says it only holds 4 people, brilliant. Some long queues ahead I thought, but don't worry, they'll fix them tomorrow morning.... not. These lifts never got repaired for the entire week and it was probably a 10-15 min wait to get into one at the best of times. We get to the room, and it doesn't seem too bad, I mean it's no 3 star, lets get that straight, it's a 'Malta' 3 star, not the star system you'd get around the globe. They may as well have got a 3 year old to scribble 3 stars on a bit of paper and stuck it up on reception, that's how relevant the starring system is. The 'double' room that we booked was 2 separate single beds with a dressing table between them so at 1:00am we're doing a bit of re-arranging, still, having to sleep with separate sheets. Now before you get bored of reading this, I'll do my best to shorten up the rest into smaller points, but that's what you can expect when checking in. Breakfast, basic budget 'fry up' stay away from the scrambled eggs, they make you sick, during the second night I myself was ill, and couldn't make it to the bathroom. It was about 3am so I did my best to clean it up but it still needed some cleaning sprays and stuff so was up at the crack of dawn to go and sort some out from reception, they wouldn't give me any and told me the maid would be up to do it, this is at 7am, we go to the pool, at 1pm arriving at the room its still there, back to reception, they call someone again. At 4pm someone comes to clean it up, despite me offering at 7am to do it myself, i just needed some cleaning things. vomit in a room in 35'c heat for almost 11 hours. Thanks. Id recommend you go over to the neighboring hotel where your all inclusive still counts as it's Italian for lunch and dinner every day so you don't have to deal with the non existent air conditioning of the sick smelling food hall in la valette. Not to mention the rank food. Ice cream was OK though. Evening entertainment...pffft, they play 4 tracks on repeat for the whole night, one track includes Swagger Jagger by Cher Lloyd, imagine my excitement of hearing that 65 times a night. On the plus side i'd imagine I could do a great rendition. Bingo is OK, worth playing, but they cant class it as having any form of entertainment. When a 'glee night' is them playing a glee CD soundtrack and miming the words, yeah, you get my drift. Pool area is OK, I mean you have to dodge the fag buts and plastic cups that they give you for your drinks as you're only allowed a tiny less than half pint disposable beaker for your all inclusive drinks, but this sort of thing is now starting to become expected. Any form of communal toilet, ie pool toilet and reception area toilets are disgusting, you have to ask reception for a toilet roll each time you go in them as none are provided in either the mens or womens, which says to me no one bothers cleaning them, not to mention none of the doors lock, there's urine and feces on all the floors and even the toilet seats as apparently everyone hovers due to not wanting to sit down. 1 urinal was blocked full of p*ss for the whole week! My girlfriend had the pleasure of a crushed cockroach in hers. Lovely. now, I understand people may say, 'why would you use the reception toilets if there's one in your room?' Just remember my previous comment of a 15 minute wait to use the lift to get to the 8th floor. Hotel security, again, pffft. Woken up on several occasions by idiots in the pool shouting at 3:50am, and having people playing the knock and run game at around the same time. Got to the point where I actually had to get them dragged out the pool and really by this time wanted the people to knock on my door again so I could grab them and give them a beating myself. You have to ask for more toilet rolls in the room as they don't seem to get replaced and you'd be lucky to get them within 3 days without asking half a dozen times.
Lets face it, this hotel is for stag dos and hen dos as long as they don't mind living in squalor. No couples, elderly people, families or people with children should ever go here. I couldn't imagine having children with me here, I'd be worried for their health, safety and well being constantly. The staff don't care about anything or anyone, they're just there to earn a living, they're rude, ignorant, happy to leave you waiting for so long, just walk away when you're next in queue, the list goes on.
Thankfully, the country is lovely, the weather is gorgeous, the location of the hotel is OK, it's near bars and the beach, and within walking distance of some lovely places, but it really should be demolished and have a new building replace it.
I hope my review has helped you to make your mind up to NEVER visit this place, yes, it's cheap, but you still expect basic cleanliness and hygiene and this had none of that. Pay a few quid extra and go somewhere else, seriously, you'll thank me.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2013

we are a family of 9 3 adults and 6 children 16,11,10,7,5,3 have just returned from a 7night stay at blue sea hotel ,when we arrived we was checked in quickly ,we was put on 6th and 8th floor when we needed to be on ground floor due to being disabled , they told us they would move us in morning as it was 4am when we arrived we wasnt to bothered in the morning we went to breakfast but was told we was room only when we had payed for all inclusive , james on reception was very helpful and we soon got it sorted it was the booking agent that was at fault, thankfully we had all our paperwork with us so print everything and take it with you , a lovely girl on reception got us moved to ground floor pool view 2 rooms which was great kids loved it we had clean towel and new toilet rolls every day maids came in every day to do beds and mop floors ,the meals were repeated alot but they were edible and you never went hungry staff in the resturant all helped to put tables together to seat the 9 of us together very friendly even gave us tray to carry drinks , the entertainment staff david ,luke sam and nena were great with the kids (david definetly has a fan club with our kids ) they always kept them entertained and even got in the swimming pool fully dressed with them ,we had a few days out popeye village is a must if you have kids they even make a movie and u can buy for 7euros great keepsake for kids and adults too,the fun and splash waterpark is a brill day out we spent the afternoon there some thing for all ages big kids too (my hubby lol) back to the hotel i would recommend it its not 5* but your not paying 5* prices , well done to staff for a great holiday from the maguire family (demi mitch milly tyler brogen , davids fan club :) we had a great holiday and our review reflects this i understand there has been bad reviews but not deserved from our point of view thanks guys

Room Tip: we had pool view rooms 311 and 315 in blue sea and was very quiet .
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jenni M
grimsby/cleethorpes
Reviewed 25 June 2013

The place is a nightmare! Four lifts, only two were working and one of those would only take two people, we were on the 8th floor! When we finally got to our room I couldn't believe the state of the place, the curtains were held up by less than half the hooks needed so they looked like swags when they were closed. the bathroom is totally disgusting nothing was clean! the hand basin was grubby and the tap wouldn't turn off properly, the toilet was in need of a bucket of bleach and a good scrub inside and out and the bath had no enamel on the bottom, it was pitted and rusty looking, the shower was useless as when you fitted it to the bracket and turned the water on the water came out of the hose at the back running down the wall, needless to say we didn't even try to use it!
We decided to ask for a different room the next morning but on speaking to other guests while waiting for the Rep to arrive we found that actually we were quite lucky with the room we had as they're rooms were as bad if not worse!
We contacted our daughter back home and she phoned the travel agency as the number we had for them kept cutting off and it was getting expensive, they phoned us and eventually we got moved to another hotel but this was on a bed and breakfast basis so our finances really took a battering.
Malta is a beautiful place with stunning scenery and lovely people so if you don't want to start your holiday off on the wrong foot then choose a different hotel, one that keeps the place clean and well looked after because if they look after the building then they are bothered about their clients this place does neither it takes your money and laughs at you.

Room Tip: My tip to choose a good room...........choose a different hotel!
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 June 2013

More for a lads/ladies holiday really, wouldn't be bringing a family to it! I'd say anyone between the ages of 18-28 would be more than happy with it! near the beach, nice pool, near the strip! We had great fun but we're a bunch of lads who didnt mind where we rested our heads! So it was good value in that respect!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brian H
Sandvika, Norway
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I stayed there only to days and called of the holiday and went home. Everything the others have written is true. I really don`t understand how this hotel can have 3 stars. They don`t even deserve 1 star, the hole hotel should be condemned. I really felt sorry for the employees there. They worked hard, but the hotel facilities are bad bad bad. Just to get a glass of water you have to stay 30 in line. The food is not even good enough to give animals. You can get sick eating there. The room and the hole hotel was dirty and non acceptable. So pleas DON`T STAY AT THIS HOTEL! Don`t give it a chance. Pay a bit more and have a nice holiday another place.

Room Tip: don`t stay here
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,440 reviews
Dean Hamlet Hotel
Dean Hamlet Hotel
#21 of 32 in Saint Julian's

Been to The St. George's Park Hotel? Share your experiences!