Where to start.....arrived and waited 15 minutes to get seen at reception of St George's Park, then got told we were in the other hotel, the Valette, and then another wait at other reception only to be told should have been in the first one....not looking good so far.....and fairly sure there were male prostitutes hanging around the lobby for passing trade......
Finally got to the room in St George's Park using the only lift that was working (carpeted inside wall to wall so nice a damp smelling). Room itself was well sized, and had a half decent view of the bay, as well as a good quality safe (which you pay to use).
However there were no towels to start with and when asking at reception they said we would have to wait until morning. Ok, fine, let's just have a wash, use the beach towels we brought with us and get out for dinner. Enter the bath with an ancient stained shower curtain that leaks all over the floor as it has so many rips and broken links. There was a line round the bath that didn't look like it had been cleaned in a while. At least the water was always hot, though had to get the light fixed as it was flckering and migraine-inducing. Oh and the toilet would only flush if you first pumped it several times.
We did not realise, and this is no fault of the hotel, that we were in the middle of the red light district with hookers and topless bars nearby....quite fun to wander around and fortunately the room faced the bay and pool so there was no noise from the strip. The receptionist, Javier, was very helpful and realised we would prefer a quiet room (7th floor) so put us facing away from the strip, so that was good.
Had dinner, not in the hotel, and came back for a cuppa before bed as arrived quite late.....hhhmmmmmm....where's the kettle.....self-catering with no kettle....interesting. Opened the drawers and had to close them again until we could get bleach and dishwashing liquid before using anything.....not that there was much to wash as there was only a saucepan, 1 cup, 2 glasses, and some rusty cutlery, and an all in one microwave sized grill and electric hob.
After sharing a thimble-sized cup of tea, we tried to go to bed.......holes in the sheets and what we were quite sure was blood on one of the blankets....so slept more or less fully clothed 1st night as too late for housekeeping. Finally got to sleep, even with people knocking on eachother's doors in the corridor and the ripped curtains that let in light and the weird shaped pillows and saggy bed. Until about 4am when the police kicked down the door of the flat opposite us....again not especially reassuring....made sure the door was double-locked again. A few nights later someone else kicked the same door off its hinges....clearly a popular guest.
Next morning went to get towels and when got up to the room realised there were blood stains on one and brown stains on the other....so these we used as shower mats (as there were none) and continued using our beach towels.
And this kind of set the tone of the place....loud nights of people in corridor partying, stained towels and linen, less facilities for self-catering than a camp-site, questionable marks on walls and floors.
The only saving grace of this place is the price and more importantly the staff. The staff are trying to run a dirty, old, ill-equipped, and under-resourced hotel the size of a small tower block with too little staff and too many things that can go wrong. They did try to help and had to deal with the queues of people trying to checkin or complain, and some did try that bit extra to make our stay more bearable...However I never got my safe key deposit back as nobody knew where my deposit envelope was even though I had the receipt and went to both hotels and had to leave as taxi was waiting.
Occasionally while waiting to ask for toilet paper at reception as housekeeping only came twice in 10 days, we would hear people complaining, and our experience was better than others...overheard one lady saying that her room had damp dripping down the walls, dirty fridge that stank the room out in addition to what we had in ours who was checking out after 2 nights having booked in for 2 weeks. So copuld have been worse but only by a bit. There is no way this is a 3 star....not a chance.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Blue Sea St George's Park, Malta is an ideal choice for a lively break to this stunning Mediterranean island. Located in a privileged position within the heart of Paceville, St. Julian's, this property sits just 300m from a pretty sandy beach and provides easy access to a fantastic choice of restaurants, bars and clubs that this vibrant area is renowned for. The Blue Sea St George's Park is perfect for those who are looking for an active holiday in the heart of Malta's night life, with a range of facilities and amenities at hand to keep everyone entertained. With classic décor throughout the reception area, the atmosphere of this property makes it a great place to relax and unwind after a day of sightseeing or after enjoying the lively local nightlife. The two outdoor swimming pools, one indoor pool (not heated) and a children's pool, provide plenty of idyllic places to soak up the Mediterranean sunshine. Guests of the Blue Sea St George's Park have the opportunity to get active at the gym (available at a local charge). The nearby sandy beach of St. George's Bay, is just a few minutes' walk from the Blue Sea St. George's Park and offers a host of water sports (all at a local charge). A range of dining options are available at the Blue Sea St George's Park that include a lounge bar, pool bar (seasonal) and a buffet restaurant. An in-house entertainment program is offered throughout the year to ensure that everything is provided for a fun and relaxing holiday for the young at heart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Onthebeach, Booking.com, Priceline, Southall Travel, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your The St. George's Park Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. Georges Park Complex Hotel Saint Julian`s
- The St. George's Park Hotel Malta