“Very nice hotel”

Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I stayed there many times and I keep choosing this hotel for his location directly on the sea (even though it does not have a beach) and for the conforts it offers.
The room are quite big, bright with sea view in most of the cases, bathroom is confortable.
The swimming pools are big and nice and there is a spa and an indoor pool too.
The hotel is very clean, nice reception and polite staff.
Nice breakfast buffet.
The lounge for the upperfloors is quite simple and poor. Don't go there before their closing time (7pm) cause the staff can be little bit unfriendly ! :-(
There are lots of bars and restaurants in the surrounding places walking distance.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fragolozza
There are newer reviews for Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort

Reviewed 8 January 2012

I've celebrated NY2012 at this hotel.
The room was simply magnificent, although a little cramped with furniture. Probably due to the 3d bed that we needed for our kid. The furniture was a little dated (e.g. the balcony chair was cracked), but the view and the weather compensated for all this. The room had all the necessary amenities (although the hairdryer was hidden in a very unusual location).
The choice of TV programs was decent for english speaking people. They even had a film channel !
Of course the TV was probably 15+ yrs old, but it was watchable.
The minibar was ok. The bathroom lacked ventilation so you get a lot of water mist when taking a bath.
There was a bathtub, but there was no bath salts, so I resorted to poring over some shampoo and soap instead.
The hotel a-la-carte restaurant was decent. It had good choice of well prepared items for breakfast. But please avoid the scrambled eggs : they were a bit watery for my taste.
The NY dinner was also good : great seafood choice and a pleasant band. But the hotel was full primarily with people 55+ old and they were listening to their music, so we went back into the room really early to continue our celebration out of the mini bar.
Sadly there's no gym in the hotel. The reception says you can use the one of the neighboring hotel. But it opens too late : in 8am ! So I've resorted to running along the sea instead. Never tried to access the indoor pool, as it was located in the other hotel as well.
The neighborhood was good : there's a shopping mall in less than 500 meters from the hotel. The hop-on-hop-off busses are stopping in front of the hotel and the reception can sell you tickets. Plus there's a public transport stop for busses to Valetta next to the mall. Next to the mall we've found a great choice of bars and pubs.
In general I've seriously enjoyed my stay in this hotel. The only downside was some of the staff. The housekeeping staff was a bit pushy knocking @ your door at 9 am after the NY's eve. And It takes an awfully long amount of time to get anything from the lobby bar.
At checkout time they've presented me with a bill that I've signed and payed for with my card. We have had few hours to spare before our flight back home so we went out for a walk. And at this time they've done an additional charge on my credit card without getting my consent first. It was an item they've forgot (!?!?) to include in my bill. Thanks god I'm getting an SMS on every charge on my card.
So watch out your credit card balance. Or avoid giving them one if you can.
There was wireless internet throughout the hotel with a reasonable speed. The only problem was that it was seriously expensive : 15 EUR for 24 hrs through a voucher you can buy @ the reception desk. Good thing you can "log in" and "log out" of it so it's not astronomical hours, but actual usage.
There was *no* open wifi to be found anywhere near the hotel. The nearest free spot was McDonalds @ the shopping mall :/

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a sea view and a terrace !
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank gkodinov
ManagementCBR, Front Office Manager at Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience with other fellow readers and for highlighting areas in need of improvement.
Free WIFI access is indeed available in our Restaurants namely Vinothewue, Da Marina & Cafe 24 for all our guests to use.
With regards to the unauthorised charging, it transpired that the bill was authorised to be charged to your account prior to your departure from the Hotel. Please rest assured that we take billing issues very seriously and such sensitive matters are always tackled prior to our guests' departure.

May I take this opportunity to wish you and your loved ones a prosperous New Year and we all look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

With thanks & regards,

Reviewed 6 January 2012

WE have read the other reviews and agree that the hotel is clean and food is good at various dining options. Our Junior suite was large and lovely view over the bay. If that's all you want at Christmas then go for it. The staff are friendly and politely unhelpful when requied to be. Christmas dinner was a walk throu arches and along corridors to the food hall and back again with your meal to a packed unfestive eating area. 2 local singers (the entertainment) crooned in the back ground and thankfully no where near us. We had asked for christmas lunch in the Marina (where we were staying) but priority is given to local visitors just coming in to eat so we were sent out in the rain to the sister hotel across the way. Xmas Eve meal (night before) was better - no problem getting a dining table for 4 as the place was quite empty and I am not surprised it was not so popular as one would expect. Entertainment was a damp squid . Considering there is no entertainment the rest of the time you are staying there you expect some effort to be made at Xmas. After all, you pay £200+ at least for thr meal. New Years Eve was better and we enjoyed it (with our two children) but it simply does not have the atmosphere in this Hotel Complex to attract us back. The rest of the nights there were empty and boring. Paceville at St George has little to offer, quite scruffy too. We went to the cinema there twice as having spent a good day walking around the area we could find nothing "vibrant" about it. Night time was worse and the only other thing in Paceville is a small bowling alley. We hired a car and got out and about as much as possible, enjoying Popeye's Village etc. Village Cribs, other attractions away from St George Bay. This hotel is not well located for anything really. They have a night club opened some evenings and the next day you can follow the trail of vomit leading from it down to the bay and on into the town. Nothing much is open at this time of year in the complex. Even the so called bar lounge (comfy seats etc) is removed and replaced by tables and chairs to accommodate the local groups of people having their office parties etc. As a guest you can sit in the hotel foyer opposite the revolving entrance doors or pay to sit in the cafe.You, as a paying staying guest, are captive and therefore can be treated as relatively unimportant. The staff may enquire as to your "satisfaction" but are clearly unconcerned. The one small indoor pool (over in the other hotel - walk through the wind to reach it) can only be used by under 18yr olds if accompanied by adult and only up until 5:00pm or 4:00pm dependent on older club members requirements. Same goes for the Jacuzzi. If you happen to be 2 months away from being 18yrs you can forget the Sauna completely. You will not be allowed in it even if accompanied by a friend who has had her 18yr old birthday. Rules are rules they say! This place was numbingly boring for Xmas and New Year. I can imagine summer being a lot better, boat trips, outdoor pools open, but then we know of better situated hotels across the island now that can offer the same and more. So no! we do not recommend this hotel or the resort itself. We have holidayed at Christmas in Malta in the past but unfortunately this was one of the few areas we had not been tempted to visit before - mainly because there is nothhing there - but we will be staying at the places we know are more festive if we come back in December/January again.

Room Tip: Book a suite and make sure you know your meals will be in the Marina BayView Restaurant and that you...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank irenewatson

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Marina Hotel on Trip Advisor. I have gone through your comments in much detail and will be personally looking into all the areas that need improvement and that have in some way hindered the enjoyment of your stay. I have also discussed your dining arrangements with the Food & Beverage Manager whereby we would have been more than pleased to discuss any shortfalls you encountered whilst still at the Hotel.

On the other hand I am happy to note that the Junior Suite, food and over all cleanliness were positively highlighted. With regards to the location and atmosphere, this might be open for further discussion.

Once again we thank you for your comments and invite you to contact me directly on robert.borgmillo@marinahotel.com.mt

Reviewed 20 December 2011

While in Malta to visit some friends I had to opportuity to stay in the 'faultless' Marina Hotel at the Corinthia Beach Resort. Various dining options and tailor made packages which were offered to us by Reception staff. Great views of the bay from the balcony and five pools to opt for. Housekeeping service was constant each day and room kept clean. Friendly staff at Reception therefore do approach them for suggestions on places of interest and tours.

Excellent breakfast and various dining outlets to choose from.

All in all a holiday to remember and will surely be back sometime.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank LucaUk
ManagementCBR, Front Office Manager at Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2011

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Management and Team Members, I would like to thank you for your candid comments. We are all very pleased to note that your experience at the Marina Hotel at the Corinthia Beach Resort was indeed one to remember.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on robert.borgmillo@marinahotel.com.mt when planning your next visit to the Maltese Islands.

Wishing you and your loved ones a healthy and prosperous New Year ahead.

Reviewed 27 November 2011

stayed here for four nights 21/11/11 to25/11/11
all was very good about hotel and staff .
only 2 negatives toilet tiles needed grouting
as were gruby and needed a goog clean.
also the big pool area had toilets and a
beach bar which were closed all the time
ok there were maybe only a dozen or so
people but many more came and went because
of this .

Room Tip: high floor pool views v.g
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank robhazeharper
ManagementCBR, Front Office Manager at Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. Your comments are being discussed further at Management level.

In the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me directly in the event that you plan another visit to the Maltese Islands.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

Booked on B&B basis for a short break / work. Room facilities were excellent. Good 4* quality with plenty of room, fantastic views from the balcony out across the bay. Quiet with a number of terraces to enjoy the view and relax but only a short walk to Paceville for anyone that wants the bars and nightlife. Staff were efficient and friendly, good range of places to eat within the resort or just chill over a coffee.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Ron E

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recommendations on our Hotel.

Should you plan another visit to the Maltese Islands please do not hesitate to contact me directly on robert.borgmillo@marinahotel.com.mt

We all look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 21 November 2011

The Marina Hotel is an excellent hotel for its excellent room facilities, good food, quiet and tranquil atmosphere, and awesome seaside view. However, my fiance and I would easily rank it as the best among the hotels we have visited because of its remarkably excellent staff. The front office staff was extremely wonderful and very helpful. They were consistent and eagerly ready to serve and attend to every need of ours and it was done with a big heart. When I wrote Monica of Front Office prior to arrival to inform her of our room needs due to my fiance´s recent surgery, she made room arrangements far beyond our expectations. So when I finally met her in person, I felt that I was actually meeting an old friend! During Monica's day-off, Anna of Front Office was just as eager to help and attend to my requests. And this was the case even prior to my arrival. She even scanned the breakfast menu including the bed measurements in advance. And in both Monica´s and Anna´s day off when we arrived, Kristian of Front Office was the best alternate because he was extremely helpful too. I told Kristian that he should remain in the service industry because he was very good at his job. He took care of us as if he were our mother.:-) For when we went to breakfast on our first day at the hotel, he called reception that morning just to let them ask us if we needed anything at all e.g. breakfast in bed due to my fiance's health problems. Of course, Kristian remained helpful the whole duration of our stay and even wrote us a very sweet note before we left. Monica also very nicely arranged for our late checkout since she knew that we were going to be picked up after 12 noon. My fiance and I cannot thank the hotel staff enough especially Monica, Kristian, and Anna. Pier of reception was also very nice and so was Joseph, one of the head waiters. We almost felt that we were not at a hotel but in a home with people who truly cared. One never feels that way in other hotels. But at the Marina Hotel, the staff did truly make us feel that we were special. And we would like to reciprocate by writing this review since it is our way of thanking the Marina Hotel for having a wonderful staff that made our short stay at the hotel worth remembering for life. I guess it is the combination of a beautiful hotel and an even more beautiful staff that makes the Marina Hotel, to our minds, the best in the world.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Nikki E

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with all other fellow reviewers. The review header you have chosen has truly impressed us. It is of great satisfaction to note that the ambience and members of our team have exceeded your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
#9 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort? Share your experiences!