“An Excellent Hotel and the best we have stayed in on Malta”

Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We have returned to this hotel year after year and the excellent service has been consistent. It is situated, with its sister hotel, the San Gorg, on a most attrractive peninsular on Malta. From ouside the hotel is impressive with it's numerous outside dining facilities. It is well maintained and improvements are constantly being made. The reception staff are, without exception, the friendliest and most professional that we have encountered on the island. They and are helpful and eager to please. The reception area is large, modern and has been improved and modernised throughout. The management has been carrying out many changes and renovations to the hotel which have all enhanced our experience of this hotel. The bedrooms are clean, fully air conditioned and modern. There is a daily maid service which we can only describe as excellent. They work around the clients to cause them the least inconvenience as possible.
There are several restaurants on site which cater for all different tastes and price ranges. Music is played on some nights to enhance your dining experience. But be sure to book in advance at some of these restaurants at weekends as the culinary delights are in high demand amongst guests and the local families. The restaurant staff are very polite, friendly, professional and are most eager to please. The hotel also operates its own nightclub. Outside the hotel has 3 swimming pools and a toddlers bathing pool. There are ample sunbeds (many of which have recenly been updated) and large umbrellas. There are numerous poolside cafes and restaurants and the whole area is regularly maintained and is constantly cleaned. Its gardens and grassed areas are regularly maintained. In addition to its own facilities, I understand that hotel guests can also use the facilities of its sister hotel, the San Gorg, e.g. 2 more pools, gym facilities, spa facilities, sauna and indoor pool as well as restaurants. The hotel has its own rocky beach and for the more adventurous there is a "fun in the sun" operation providing boat trips etc. The hotel is approximately 300 metres away from the sandy beach and roadside restaurants of the St George area together with its nightclubs and shops etc.
In summary an excellent holiday time and time again for us.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Edmund K
ManagementCBR, Front Office Manager at Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2012

Dear Guest,

On behlaf of the whole team at the Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort I would like to thank you for your loyalty and choosing to stay at our Hotel year after year.

We all look forward to welcoming you next year.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

This is truly a fantastic hotel in an ideal location in Malta. It is walking distance from shops, bars, clubs and plenty of restaurants. There are lots of activities such as boat hire, jet skis, excursions and scuba diving courses. If this is your first time exploring Malta I highly recommend this hotel as it's a great base for exploring the whole island. The public transport from this location is excellent, just a 15 minute walk to a bus terminal. We were treated extremely well by the staff at this hotel and would definitely consider returning in the future.

POSITIVES -
If you have often stayed at 4* hotels this will meet or exceed your expectations.
The hotel is walking distance from shops, restaurants, bars and clubs.
The view from the 4th / 5th floor sea-view balcony rooms is truly breathtaking.
The room's air conditioning was perfect.
You have access to all 5 swimming pools and all the facilities of the 5* neighbouring Corinthia using your Marina key card.
At the 5* neighbouring Corinthia staff often came round the pool area with complimentary refreshments, small nibbles and cold towels.
Wi-Fi access is complimentary in the lobby and restaurant areas and you will find a lot of free Wi-Fi hotspots around Malta.
This hotel has great public transport links on air-conditioned buses (day pass is 2.60EURO) so no need to rely on shuttle bus.

NEGATIVES -
The hotel does not have a private sandy beach area, although there is one that is walking distance it is not very sandy (more like fine gravel) and it was very crowded in August. If sandy beaches are REALLY important you're better off in Mellieha.
Wi-Fi access in the room is charged at 5EURO for 5 hours (but you can log in and out over your entire stay) but in my room the signal was very poor so I don't recommend using this.
If you want to use the safe you have to pay a fee of 12EURO for the key.
The city centre (Valletta) is about 20-40 mins away depending on mode of transport.
Complimentary shuttle bus to the city centre is only at 9:30am returning at 5:30pm.

The negatives are really very minor things overall, and did not in any way affect the wonderful time I had.

Thanks for an unforgettable holiday!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are breathtaking, 4th and 5th floors have the best ones!
1  Thank Adelynne C
ManagementCBR, Front Office Manager at Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a descriptive review on your recent stay at the Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort.

On behalf of the whole team, we really look forward to having another opportunity to welcome you at our Resort. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on robert.borgmillo@marinahotel.com.mt when planning your next visit to the Maltese Islands.

Dear Reader
please be aware when reading my review that it is based purely on my own personal experience and observations during the period of my specific stay. However, please be reminded that my personal review possibly may neither reflect your own personal experience nor hotel's normal standards.

Tucked away in a bay I find this a great spot for anyone who wants to relax from the hustle and bustle from the tourist hype.
When checking in the staff had a very friendly relaxed but professional attitude. I couldnt help but notice that there was no set uniform for the staff (Just an observation not criticism)
Furthermore I noticed a group of people, who looked like hotel staff members (I could be wrong) being briefed in the lobby area. If that was truly the case that the hotel has this practice I find this inappropriate towards guests AND staff.

From other reviews it sounds like this hotel is under renovations and I may have been booked into the older side of the hotel as I found my first impression was "seriously out dated", therefore I will not go into too much detail of the furnishings of the room itself.

I was extremely impressed by a phone call by guest services making sure that all was in order. This must be the first time ever that a hotel has taken the initiative to show that they care about their guests' comfort.

This hotel has wifi in the rooms, however you pay for this service.

The only three points I truly have to criticize is that
a) the bathroom was sporting scratchy old thin small towels and a stained facecloth
b) liquid at the base of the fridge was evidence that the fridge was defrosting. It never seizes to surprise me that Hotels dont have a maintenance check list to check on rooms on regular intervals.
(both of the aforementioned issues were not enough to bother myself to make an issue to guest services as we were only on a short stop over at this hotel)
c) chairs being dragged across the floors are extremely noisy on the tiled floors.

Having said all of the above I can actually see myself coming back to this hotel for a relaxing time as I found the atmosphere extremely friendly and relaxing.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ChancebyChanel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort.
Please rest assured that we have gone through all the areas mentioned in your review that need attention and we shall be taking the necessary corrective measures.

In the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me directly on robert.borgmillo@marinahotel.com.mt when planning your next visit to the Maltese Islands.

We all look forward to welcoming you once again.

With kind regards

Reviewed 24 August 2012

We have just come back from Malta and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Marina at the Corinthia Beach Resort. The staff are most helpful and very friendly, very professional. The hotel is clean and has such a warm welcoming atmosphere. The rooms are of excellent standard with modern decor, flat acreen tv's and massage chair. The food is of excellent standard too. We couldn't wish for a better holiday and will definately be back next year!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Natblyth

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your loyalty towards the Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort. We all look forward to hosting you for many other forthcoming years.

Thank you once again!

Reviewed 21 August 2012

It certainly was a great choice to be here after many recommendations. It turned out to be absolutely 5 star. The staff are friendly and very accommodating. All staff are welcoming and make your stay as comfortable and pleasurable as they can. The hotel has been recently renovated, lovely modern fresh look, a very attractive cafeteria with divine pastries and chocolates and beautiful cappuccino. Rooms are spacious and clean, deliciously air-conditioned and bright, with extremely comfortable beds, just as the pictures seen on the web, and great sea views.

The main restaurant really spoils us with choice. The breakfast buffet was fabulous by any standard. Whilst dinner was outstanding, me and my husband enjoyed the special nights that came together with our Half board supplement. We enjoyed a Maltese buffet on Tuesday, a delicious bar-b-que on Friday and also an Asian buffet night on Saturday and with no extra supplements!!!. The other restaurants within the hotel are of a very high quality and not overly expensive. Vinotheque had a lovely menu and great wine. Da Marina has a lovely terrace, and a great pizza that one cannot miss out!

We loved the hotel which was very central, the weather, the pools... everything. Definitely we will come back with our kids next time. Its an ideal hotel for couples and family.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank M M

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to note that you have thoroughly enjoyed our Cuisine,freshly prepared by our dedicated team of Chefs.

On behalf of the Management Team and Staff , I would like to thank you for your recommendations.

We look forward to welcoming you again at the Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

On arrival my first impression of the Hotel was not good it was very dated and old fashioned not at all modern, we proceeded to our room which I would only call much of the same the tiled floor area of bathroom bedroom and tiny balcony was filthy and had not had a good wash in some time the patio table was rusted and patio tatty the net curtains had never seen an iron and were hanging off the curtain rail. We were there in time for dinner while the selection was good the food was mostly overcooked and cold. The evening we arrived was very warm so we were looking fordward to air conditioning it did not work I spent most of the night on the balcony I was so unwell with the opressive heat because of this I was eaten alive by mosquitos and the bites on my husband and myself became infected as a diabetic this posed a serious health risk to me,we reported the AC and were told it would be looked at it was never repaired and never worked during our stay. On the morning we were leaving there was some conseridable noise next door, workmen had pulled down part of the ceiling and were trying to do repairs to the ac.

We availed of the complimentary bus to Valetta asked the driver where we would find some shops he pointed to the right we headed in that direction went full circle in the intense heat asked another person he said go to the left we found the shopping area. We made our own way home and were dropped about a 2mile walk from the Hotel the transport is terrible, dont bother going downtown at night all you will see are kids drinking and smoking in the sheesha bars while the filthy sreets are strewn with black bin bags of rubbish.

Another point the Hotel pool is open to non residents so you have the locals with their packed lunches taking up the best sun beds filling the pool to capicity while paying quests have to take whats left. There is no pool supervision and adults and children diving into the pool all the while make for a bad experience and the area is again dirty. I have nothing good to say about this Hotel or its location from the pompous receptionist who had no local knowledge and seemed to like to patronise the guest the only good thing was that it was time to go home. Our holiday ruined and 1800.00euro down. So please if you want a good quality Hotel avoid this one the holiday brochure is very misleading we were told by a rep in the airport that we had chosen a very bad location how right she was.

Room Tip: Dont go there.
8  Thank A-Harvey7
ManagementCBR, Front Office Manager at Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are surprised that the decor and location were not up to your expectations. We will however, be looking into the areas of concern highlighted in your review in order to take corrective measures where neccessary.

Should you decide to visit Malta once again, please do contact me on robert.borgmillo@marinahotel.com.mt . I would be more than pleased to making your acquaintance.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

I have never been super-enthusiastic about large international hotels for holiday puroposes. You know what you expect and what you get - it's kind of safe. We (two adults) booked this 5* hotel through hotels.com, because it looked like the better of most places in the St. Juliens area, and we found the cost very acceptable. Corinthia Beach Resort is large and met our expectations as a fairly cold hotel with a distanced atmosphere. Room and bed was very good (of course) - though, we are happy we invested some extre EUROS to have a seaside view.

The pool area is great if you want a sunbed 20 cm from totally unknowns, with very close company of families with small children from all possible countries. The gym was a rather exotic experience, with machines not being maintained for a while. The spa and the spa area (according to my wife) was great with good and friendly service - and not to costly. After all, we we were positively surprised by the "relaxedness" at the hotel in general. Except from the pool-side you don't get the impression of this being a big hotel. The breakfast was great, and we found plenty of space for sunbathing and swimming by the waterfront. Poolservice was non-existing at the seaside, but that was expected. Close to water-sports and water-fun activities was also positive, and we utilized both the jetty and parasailing with great joy. You can choose between several restaurants: The Grill Terrace (3111 or something like that) was good, and though Henry Beans served frozen margaritas, the menu and burgers were pretty tasteless. Hence, we took the opportunity to visit other nearby restaurants for dining. Free wireless access available only in the lobby (though a great lobby), is not acceptable (by Scandinavian standards) in 2012. You know what to expect - and that is what you get!

3  Thank Leifhenrikhusom

Dear Guest,

We are delighted to note that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort. The Management is currently addressing the areas for improvement mentioned in your review.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcoming you at our Hotel. I may be contacted on robert.borgmillo@marinahotel.com.mt

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
#10 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort? Share your experiences!