Situated a few minutes walk from the centre of St. George’s Bay this hotel is well located being close enough to the bars and entertainment to be convenient but far enough way not to be affected by the noise. All of the staff we dealt with were extremely friendly, helpful and willing to offer assistance. Our room was of a decent size and was always kept clean but in terms of décor it could do with a little TLC. The bathroom had a hideous false ceiling that wasn’t particular well executed and looked as if it belonged in an office block, the bath was rusting and the shower head wasn’t great. In the bedroom there was adequate storage space but if you want to use the room safe you have to pay to rent the lock which struck me as being a little tight-fisted so we elected to lock our valuables in our cases instead. We did ask for a quiet room and while we were away from the centre of the hotel our room was level with the road and barely twenty feet away from it so using the balcony wasn’t really an option and as a light sleeper I resorted to using ear-plugs. I’m sure the hotel would have tried to move us had we asked but we only stayed for four nights so stuck with what we had rather than have to move. The TV in the room was functional but fairly ancient and the buttons on the details on the remote control had all been worn away. It’s not a huge deal as we don’t go on holiday to watch TV but it goes to show how long it is since the room had been updated.
The hotel facilities were fine with five pools of varying sizes to choose from across the two neighbouring Corinthia hotels at the resort. Some of the sun loungers were very tatty and needed replacing and we had to go up two floors to reception in order to collect and deposit towels for use around the pool which was a minor inconvenience. There are a variety of places dotted around the pool areas where refreshments can be obtained and the prices charged weren’t as excessive as we’ve experienced in other hotels. Having travelled after the end of the UK school holidays to specifically try and get a bit of peace and quiet we did find that the hotel was awash with children and as a result the areas around the pools were extremely noisy at times. That wasn’t what we wanted but clearly the hotel is very popular with families so if you fit into that particular bracket then it may be perfect for you.
The resort has a number of bars and restaurants to choose from offering different styles of cuisine at reasonable prices. The breakfast buffet offered a reasonable selection of meat, cheese, fruit, yoghurt, cereal, pastries, juices, toast, eggs, sausages etc and there always seemed to be plenty available.
The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle bus service to Sliema and Valetta for those interested in exploring a little but it’s recommended that you book your seats in advance as it does get booked up.
On the whole the hotel has decent facilities with professional staff who provide a good service and willingness to offer advice. The hotel is perhaps more suited to families than those wanting a quiet and relaxing break and the only real negative is with some of the room décor and facilities which is the only reason for less than full marks.
St. George’s itself seems to attract a younger crowd, particularly in the evening, as it has a large number of bars and clubs although the hotel seems popular with all ages and the town does have a range of shops, a multi-plex cinema (most films are shown in English) and bowling alley among other things. Nearby St. Julian’s Bay, which is within walking distance, seemed more relaxed and offered a better range of restaurants and once we’d discovered it we tended to walk there each night instead. We used the hotel shuttle bus to visit Valetta which has various museums and places of historical interest and a good range of shops. From there we took the ferry across to Sliema (€1.50 for a single far, €2.50 for a return) and walked back from here to the hotel. It’s a fairly long walk but manageable and in doing so we did find places around Balluta Bay and St. Julian’s Bay that we would likely have missed otherwise. St George’s does have a small sandy beach just a couple of minutes from the hotel although we did see rats on the beach at night which didn’t exactly appeal to us.
If travelling to the hotel to or from the airport then personally I would recommend doing so by taxi and not using the X2 bus service offered by Arriva. The bus is interminably slow and the nearest bus stop is about a ten minute walk from the other side of town. The taxis are reasonably priced and we found the drivers to be extremely friendly and helpful compared to the bus drivers. Taxis are booked within the airport at a fixed price so you know you’re not going to be ripped off and the hotel can arrange your return journey upon request.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Featuring panoramic views out over Malta's St. George's Bay, the Marina Hotel is near the Paceville district's lively nightlife. It features a private beach club, a diving center, free Wi-Fi throughout and a total of 9 dining options. This 4-star hotel is part of the 5-star Corinthia Beach Resort, which has excellent water sports facilities and 5 outdoor swimming pools. Guests also have free access to an indoor heated pool, a sauna, a gym and spa facilities at the Apollo Day Spa. Decorated in bright pastel colors, all rooms are spacious and feature a balcony, a sitting area and a dressing table. They include air conditioning, a satellite flat-screen TV, and free Wi-Fi access. The Marina Hotel at the Corinthia Beach Resort has 9 restaurants and 7 bars with Mediterranean and innovative international dishes. A generous breakfast buffet is served daily. You will be just a few steps from a sandy beach and in the heart of Paceville's entertainment district. Both free and private parking are available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Lastminute, Expedia, Prestigia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Agoda, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marina Hotel At The Corinthia Beach Saint Julian`s
- Corinthia Marina Hotel Malta
- Corinthia Marina Malta
- Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort Malta