I stayed at the 5-star Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay with my daughter for two weeks in late September/October 2011 on a bed and breakfast basis. We had a balcony room overlooking the sea, the three swimming pools (which were lit up every night to emphasise their splendour) and part of the Bay (Room 119).
Our room was surprisingly very large and spacious (compared to many European hotels), and adequately furnished. There was plenty of wardrobe space for our two-week stay, ample storage within the wardrobes and a good size safe to keep passports, documents, etc. (An adequate number of coat hangers were supplied, although we did bring a few of our own.) There was also a fridge/mini-bar. This was housed in a unit which also contained four drawers, which were very useful.
The room also contained a desk/dressing table (three drawers) with a hairdryer in one of the drawers – (which was very efficient) and a chair, two armchairs and a circular glass topped table, and two bedside tables (one drawer each). Plug sockets could be found under the desk and on the adjacent wall. The TV was interactive and various channels were available, together with facility for “Wake Up Call” (which was used every day) and viewing the hotel bill.
Our twin bedded room had two large double beds which were extremely comfortable and afforded a good night’s sleep every time ! Soundproofing in the rooms is excellent and the hotel is extremely quiet at night.
Lighting in the bedroom was soft, and included two bedside lamps and one floor lamp, as well as other accent lighting.
The bathroom, although a little dated, was more than adequate for our needs. Toiletries (shower gel, shampoo, body lotion, nail file, shower caps, tissues, etc.) were replenished as required. Bathrobes were also supplied. The bathroom and bedroom were serviced daily.
The air-conditioning within the bedroom was very good and kept the room cool at all times.
The balcony was fairly large and contained two chairs and a table. It was so lovely and peaceful to sit out here late at night and watch the sea, the bay and the pool area – so relaxing, you could even think you were in paradise!
I definitely liked the hotel, and I would have no hesitation in recommending it. It had a grand, unassuming elegance that is not found nowadays in many hotels of this category. The public areas were very elegant and maintained to a very high standard.
There is a computer area providing free internet access plus a printer, which is extremely useful to book airline seats and print out flight boarding passes, etc.
Breakfast in Fra Martino was (more than) very good. The chefs religiously replenished the buffet, and there was, indeed, so much choice. You name it, they had it !
However, if there was one area that needed improvement, it would be the staffing at breakfast. On a few occasions, service was not, unfortunately, as good as it should have been. Nevertheless, all hotels have their problems at times (even 5-star hotels !) with ever-changing staff, etc., – and I am sure the problems here will be ironed out too.
The tiered, terraced, outdoor pool areas and gardens are absolutely wonderful. They are extremely well kept, and I observed an attendant testing the swimming pool water each day. The terraced areas have been designed exquisitely, and you can find a peaceful area amongst the trees and plants fairly easily here. There is also easy access to the Bay – if you prefer to swim in the sea. (Unfortunately, there is no sand !) Sunbeds and umbrellas were plentiful and, even though there were many guests lounging by the pool most days because the weather was so good, the area never felt overcrowded.
The whole complex has been very thoughtfully designed. The two Corinthia hotels share facilities, and the restaurants available are, indeed, very good – fairly priced and convenient.
Vinotheque is particularly worthy of a special mention. A delightful eatery with ample choice of good food and a good selection of wine at a reasonable price. We dined here quite a few times (both lunch and dinner) during our stay and were never disappointed. Service was excellent.
Da Marina was also a good place to have dinner. Again, the service was excellent and the portions were quite large.
Cafe 24 was an enjoyable place to have coffee and a piece of cake – a quick and efficient service.
Henry J. Beans, an American type bar, has “Happy Hour” between 6.00pm and 7.30pm each day offering two drinks for the price of one – very good value. There are also other promotions offered at this venue. We had dinner here on two occasions, but the service was a bit haphazard, and the food was only mediocre. (If you don’t wish to eat here, you can still partake in “Happy Hour” !!)
Food and drink was also available in the hotel’s foyer/lounge area, but the service here was very slow at times. This may have been because the waitresses were covering more than one area and were preparing the orders as well.
We used the indoor swimming pool and Jacuzzi quite a few times and found this area to be good (although the changing rooms were not available during our stay because of refurbishment - but this didn’t prove too much of an inconvenience). The attendants were very helpful. This is where you can collect towels (for use both inside and outside). Initially, you sign a docket for the towel(s) – wet towels can be changed as often as you wish. At the end of your stay, take your towel(s) and docket back to the attendant who will then countersign your docket. You then give the docket to Reception on check-out (to ensure you are not charged for the towel(s). A very simple procedure.
We were able to book numerous trips and activities via the hotel’s Concierge. They have all the details of what’s going on in Malta and they are very helpful.
The hotel’s “mini-bus service” is very good and efficient. It leaves the hotel at 10.30am each morning (Monday-Saturday service only) and drops off at Sliema and Valletta. Pick-up is from Valetta at 5.30pm. Seats on the mini-bus are bookable – and these can be booked the previous day via Concierge.
Check-out is 12 noon at this hotel. The hotel offers secure luggage storage – operated by Concierge. Very useful if you need to store luggage for a few hours after you have “checked out” but are not ready to depart for the airport.
We found all the staff at the hotel to be very friendly and helpful during our stay. Nevertheless, special mention has to go to Monika on Reception, Edgar (Concierge) and Tony (Duty Manager). All very helpful, efficient and professional individuals who are a credit to the Corinthia Group.
As I said previously, I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Corinthia Hotel St. George’s Bay is one of the best luxury hotels in Malta, bringing together outstanding sea views, enchanting luxury and unbeatable service.Standing like a beacon of luxury accommodation on a promontory overlooking St. George’s Bay in Malta, the Corinthia Hotel St. George’s Bay can’t help but inspire dreams. Choose from a range of sumptuous rooms, each with a private balcony and state-of-the-art amenities couched in an elegant design that combines historic romance with a fresh contemporary edge. Guests of this 5 star luxury hotel in Malta are treated to unique experiences throughout their stay.There’s no need to tear yourself away from the picture postcard views of the bluest Mediterranean for dinner: each of the luxury hotel’s 9 fine restaurants offers ravishing vistas along with the most delectable meals. Dine al fresco at the Grill 3301 rooftop terrace, surrounded by the soft sea breeze, 360º views, and the mouthwatering aromas of fine cuisine. Or take a sip of a wide selection of fine wines in the exquisite French-style charm of the Vinotheque Bistro. The adventurous will be spoilt for choice with the hotel’s water sport centre, which offers private yacht hire, and the on-site diving centre. The famous Lido at the Corinthia Hotel St. George’s Bay also offers 3 pools, children’s pool, bars, restaurants, sunbeds, and sea access, perfect for relaxing and enjoying the wonderful location. And for pure tranquility, there’s even a spa. But not just any spa: the Apollo Day Spa provides the ultimate in holistic pampering and wellness treatments designed to bring out the best, carefree side of you. Completed by an idyllic location that gives easy access to the highlights of Malta, there’s truly no better place to make your Malta holiday than the Corinthia Hotel St. George’s Bay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, TravelUp, LoveHolidays, Priceline, Lastminute, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wyndham Saint Julians
- Corinthia Hotel Saint Julians
- Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay Malta