“Superb hotel that has everything you could possibly want” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay

Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Cotes-d'Armor, France
“Superb hotel that has everything you could possibly want”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

Just spent a fantastic 5 days at this hotel. Booked direct with them as it was cheaper but the hotel, rooms & service exceeded our expectations. Great location, away from the hustle and bustle of the nightlife, but within walking distance on the other side of the bay. Staff always nearby if you needed them and this is notable round the pool areas offering cold towels to cool you down or to clean your sunglasses etc. Lovely spa on site and plenty of restaurants and snack bars. All in all, an excellent hotel that is certainly the five stars as advertised.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stuart C, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

I am very pleased to read that we exceeded your expectations and that you found our location to be great and the staff available for all your needs.

I am also very happy that you enjoyed our treats by the pool and our lovely spa and various dining outlets.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to our Hotel very soon.

Stuart Chappell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Winterton-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful holiday in Malta and our stay at The Corinthia was a very special part of our holiday experience. The location is great as it is at the quiet end of St George's Bay but near enough to walk to the other end or a short distance further to Spinola Bay for restaurants etc.
The service was great and particularly attentive around the beautiful pool areas - specs cleaning, cold towels, complimentary drinks and snacks. The three outdoor pools are stunning. The concierge service was very efficient and the courtesy transport into Sliema and Valetta very useful.
It was lovely to be able to eat inside or outside at breakfast and the array of foods was impressive with the chefs still happy to cook anything else that wasn't already provided.
The Manager's weekly reception with complementary drinks and canapes was a nice touch.
The only fault we found was with one of the three restaurants, Henry J Beans, where the service was very poor and where very ordinary food was overpriced.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the pools and sea would definitely be worth going for.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dillydo
Stuart C, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

I am very happy to read that you really enjoyed your stay and that you appreciated our location, our beautiful pool areas with the complimentary drinks and snacks, our lavish buffet breakfast, the GMs Reception, our Courtesy Bus and the service of our Concierge Team.

It is nice to know that all the little extra treats we provide for our guests are appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to our Hotel in the near future.

Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

1) I've booked a Junior suit according to web-site but this hotel gave me another room for my money. There was no special facilities which hotel promised to be there (made by famous designers). They replace only poor shampoo etc.;
2) There is no any program for children;
3) They didn't take the plates with food from my door after in room service lunch more than 24 hours;
4) They get tips and do nothing!
Very expensive for such service!
Three star hotel according to my opinion.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MagicNataly
Thank you for letting me know of your observations and concerns regarding your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. This is not our usual standard.

I have discussed these issues with the Managers concerned for them to take the necessary corrective action so as to avoid such incidents in the future.

If there are any specific issues which you would like to bring to my attention, please contact me directly on stuart.chappell@corinthia.com

We value your business very much and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay. I sincerely hope that you will give us the chance in the future to prove that we can do better than your experience suggests.

Yours truly

Billericay, Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for 10 days and had an executive bedroom on the fourth floor.
Check-in was undertaken by Amanda who was efficient and cheerful. I had a large bedroom and a balcony that looked out over the three pools and the beautiful bay. The bedroom was decorated to a high standard. Shortly after arriving marzipan "sweets" were delivered to me and this became a daily feature! The buffet breakfast is superb with a large selection of hot and cold food.
I could have had breakfast in the exec lounge but chose to eat early, (07.15), outside to enjoy the sounds of the birds singing! The top swimming pool is fairly quiet and the best pool to sit around if you want to relax and read. The other two pools are larger and more "children friendly" too! During the day the pool staff bring complimentary soft drinks, cold towels morning and afternoon and hot or cold canapes. Occasionally they also offer thinly sliced cucumber served cold which can be placed over the eyes; a lovely touch!!!!
Speaking to regular guests who come to the hotel two or three times a year, these lovely "new" touches were only introduced with the arrival of their new general manager, Stuart Chappell. So, Mr Chappell, a good innovation which, perhaps, other general managers' should take note of!!! The staff were fantastic. Authur who runs the buffet breakfast was very attentive and Yvonne and Amanda on reception in the Exec lounge were great! In my humble opinion this hotel deserves its' Five Star rating!

Room Tip: A room with a view is a must!!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank terryrothery
Stuart C, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Many thanks for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your Executive Room, the magnificent views, the Executive Club Facilities, our lavish buffet breakfast, our various pools and the complimentary niceties around the pool as well as the high quality of service of our Staff.

As you have noted, we have made some great improvements in the standard of service and I am so pleased to read that this is noticed and appreciated.

It is very pleasing to hear that you had a wonderful holiday and we hope to welcome you back to Malta and to our Hotel in the future.

Alta, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

We where spending two weeks at this hotel. We payed almost 3000euro`s for this holiday from Berlin and we were really suspecting a fantastic hotel (after having seen the pictures on the internet). Our room a deluxe with seaview needed a badly renovation. The view was fantastic but the room was overall worn down. We had several problems with our bathroom. The water in the shower was constantly boiling both anyhow you turned the knob and the water-pressure was extremely bad . After complaining 3 times nothing had been done and we stopped complaining because we want it to affect our holiday. The breakfast was ok, although nothing compared to other 5 star hotels we have been. The outside area is nice as well as the spa area. Although the towel lady seems to hate her job and was not service orientated at all. Only a small area of the pool area is only for hotel guests. The rest of the pool area and sea area can also be used by local and other guests from other hotels. This was quite irritated because sometimes there were not enough beds for only the hotel guests.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BMZB
Stuart C, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Thank you for letting me know your observations and concerns regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. This is not our usual standard.

I was extremely disappointed to read about our lack of attention to your hot water and the water pressure issues. I would like to assure you that I have personally spoken to the team to ensure that a situation like this is never repeated.

I was also disappointed to read that our pool areas and the service offered did not match your expectations. Together with our sister Marina Hotel, we have six outdoor pools and in excess of 1,000 sunbeds. I am surprised to read that you could not find a suitable space. I shall also be speaking to the staff in this area to ensure they are completely focused on exceeding our guests’ expectations.

Yours truly
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

The hotel is centrally located and within walking distance of good restaurants and the beach.
Our room had a stunning seaview and was a good size, comfortable with its own balcony with all the amenities.
The pool area is a treat and we enjoyed the service round the pool, which included cleaning our sunglasses.
The concierge service is good and made a few reservation on our behalf and even arrange a rental car.
We enjoyed the wide selection on the breakfast buffet, but the breakfast staff could be more attentive.
Overall an excellent hotel that we enjoyed staying in.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JacoCl
Stuart C, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this review, 5 July 2013

It is very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed our Hotel, the magnificent views, its great location, our lavish buffet breakfast and the complimentary services which we offer around the pool area.

I am also glad to hear that you were happy with our Concierge service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to our Hotel some time in the future.

Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

I should admit that the staff is really friendly and very helpful. We were glad that we bought the breakfast at the hotel witha a discount for 12,5 EUR/person instead of a normal price of 18 EUR/person. It was really delicious and a great variety of food on any taste. We liked the location of the hotel as we could easily reach Valletta or any other city with the local buses. We enjoyed our boat tour with "Seahourse tours" to Comino (Blue Lagoon) and Gozo. We would suggest to visit L-Ghonnella Restaurant in St. Julians and Malata Restaurant in Valletta. The food at the Hotel's Grill House was also tasty.
It was the beginning of the tourist season so the sea and the pools had quite cold water, however, then you can swim in the pool alone and there are not no children around.
The rooms are quite spacious, but the bathrooms in Deluxe Rooms are very small with an awful smell. But this we suppose is a problem everywhere in Malta. The quality of water is bad.
We really enjoyed our 6-day stay in May of 2013 if not taking into consideration one casus!
Something woke up me at night!!! I couldn't beleive my eyes! At the first night we found bugs in our bed!!!
the BED BUGS! This is unacceptable in 5-star hotel!!!! even if you book a standard deluxe room!
We immediately went to the reception and the staff gave us a suite 503 (the wind on that side of the hotel is very strong) but without sea view for which we have obviously paid and helped to move to another room.
It was horrible, could't sleep the whole night! next morning we told that we want a sea view room. The same evening when we were back from the trip we moved to a suite 516 with a bay and pool view.
We were satisfied as it seemed no bugs in the new room. But still during all stay at night I woke up with a thought that I feel bugs on my skin...horrible!!!
I really hope that our former room (213 if i am not mistaken) had been immediately desinfected because in one day we saw people with children occupying that room.
The bathroom in 516 is bigger that bathrooms in other rooms. The room service is ok. The suites were cleaned twice a day.
What could be a good idea for the improvement is several plugs of European standard. We had only one- that was inconvenient.
The airport is about 20 min away from the hotel. We booked taxi with Peppin Transport and were satiafied with service and price.
WIFI in the rooms is for free but with very poor signal, however, there is an option of another internet connection at the hotel for an additional price.
SPA area is ok, sauna is small but we never saw there anyone besides us. There is sport equipment at the hotel and a lot of pool lounges next to the pool and right direct at the sea. Diving into the sea would be a problem, there are almost no sand beaches on Malta. We rented a pedal boat for swimming in the sea.
The hotel offers wedding ceremonies at the weekend but this didn't disturb us at all.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank olesusi s
Stuart C, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

I am very glad to read that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed our lavish buffet breakfast, our award winning Restaurant The Grill 3301, our lovely pool areas, the spacious rooms with the most magnificent views and our convenient location.

With regards to your report of bed bugs in your room, I would like to comment as follows:

As you said, as soon as you reported the incident, we transferred and upgraded you to a junior suite with sea view.

I would also like to assure you that as soon as we have a report of an incident of this nature, we immediately call the pest control contractor to investigate.

On this occasion, there were no bed bugs found and the expert opinion of the pest control contractor was that it must have been a nasty mosquito bite. Mosquitos are very common in a beach resort environment.

There was, therefore, no need to carry out a lengthy treatment of your original room, which was simply deep cleaned and refreshed and allocated to new guests, who did not complain of any bugs.

I can happily report that in the 20 months as General Manager here at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay, there have been no incidents of bed bugs reported.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to our Hotel in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Hotel Valentina
#1 of 34 in Saint Julian's
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,734 reviews
Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa

Been to Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay? Share your experiences!