“5 star? I don't think so.”

Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Me and my better half (both locals), stayed at the San Gorg Hotel for an overnight for New Year's. Booking was flawless. Antonella Camilleri, from Corinthia's central reservation office, was very helpful. Although being a last minute booking, we managed to get a very good price for a Deluxe Sea view room (it was the cheapest 5 star in the area). The hotel has a parking area, but unlike others around the island, the rates are not listed next to the entrance barrier. Its 3 euro per day for guests staying at the Hotel. A complimentary ticket is issued for diners. The parking area does not have a lift, so, unless you can carry your luggage, I would recommend stopping at the entrance, and parking afterwards. On entrance, we were not greeted by anyone, there was a smartly dressed staff member close to the door, but he was busy having a chat with a fellow staff member. Thankfully, there was a luggage trolley lying around next to the reception desk, where we could hang my suit, and her dress, and put down our luggage. Milan was the front office personnel who assisted us to check in. He greeted us with half a smile, and did not provide any relevant information regarding the hotel. It was our first stay at the hotel. Having booked for dinner, I enquired regarding the seating time, which he checked instantly for us. Oddly enough, the full payment was asked to be settled immediately, and, unlike other hotels, a pre-authorisation for extra expenses was not taken. (On check out, we obviously had to settle other payments). Once we were given our room key, we had to find our way to the room. The concierge/bell boy, only offered to take our luggage once we had already started making our way to the room. We politely passed up on the offer.

Our room was exactly what we expected, spacious and with a good view. The beds were very comfortable ( we had two double beds in the room), all the basic amenities were available and the T.V had a vast selection of channels, including sports and movie. The only issues that bothered us was the temperature of the room, which was rather warm. We did attempt to adjust it, but we could not regulate the temperature. Also, the bathroom door of room 148 is quite stiff.

The room service menu was quite vast, and the prices were reasonable. We ordered a funghi pizza, which I can safely say is the best I've ever had. The crust was fantastic, and the toppings were delicious. It was delivered quite fast too. It would have been nice though to have the room service attendant attempt a smile, and, possibly, enquire whether we required anything else. Then again, he was just there to serve a pizza.

We booked dinner for the night at the Grill 3301 restaurant, which does not form part of the main building. Hence, we had to navigate our way, in the rain, down a hill outside the hotel. There are stairs within the hotel that lead to the restaurant, however we decided to take the concierge's advice to go from outside, as it was safer. Thankfully, it was worth the struggle.The restaurant has a very nice décor, the atmosphere was very cosy, and the pianist was the right touch for the night. Being New Year's eve, we did not want to dine in a very busy place, and this was precisely what we envisioned. All the tables are well spaced, and with a great outdoor sea view. The service was slightly slow to being with, but, once we had our order taken, the staff certainly made up for it. The food was immaculate, and the portions were good. The amuse bouche was a great way to start off the meal, the starter was a salad served in a bowl with dry ice, which looked stunning. For mains, my better half then opted for cod , but my Scottish beef fillet was the winner. It was cooked medium rare, precisely as ordered, and the accompaniments gave the dish a whole different dimension. Having dined at most of the steak-houses on the island, I can safely say that the Grill is the best of them all. The pre-dessert and the dessert were the cherry on the cake. The only minor things I can point out is that there wasn't an umbrella holder, so people where just putting them against a wall next to the entrance, which did look a bit tacky. An extra host greeting, and seating, people on arrival would have reduced the clutter next to the entrance door. All in all though, the staff did an excellent job to greet us into the New Year. Thanks!

Breakfast, like all the other meals we had, failed to disappoint. There was a big variety of all the standard items, and the buffet was laid out in a way that items were duplicated to avoid queues. The waffles/pancakes were a fantastic treat to wake up to.

For what we paid, we can't quite fault the Corinthia San Gorg, however, it is a 5 star hotel, and I don't feel we did get the 5 star treatment at all. Apart from the staff at the Grill, most of the other staff were cold, and made you feel as though they're doing you a favour in offering their service. On check out, there were two men at the entrance acknowledging most of the foreign guests, but, being young and local, we didn't quite seem to fit in what they may have deemed as worthy guests The concierge/bell boy, once again, only offered to take our bags once we were making our way out to the car. We will definitely be back at the Grill 3301 restaurant, however, we will not consider going back to stay at the hotel. There are better 5 star hotels in the area that truly offer every guest the experience, one would expect, when opting to use their services. There are other lower rated hotels which are quite popular with both locals and tourists, as well as 2 boutique hotels.

1  Thank Drew B
Stuart C, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Thank you for letting me know of the problem you had with the service of the Front Desk and Concierge Staff. I have also noted your other observations and concerns. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. This is not our usual standard.

I have discussed these issues with the Front Office Manager and Head Concierge for them to take the necessary corrective action so as to avoid such incidents in the future.

On a positive note, I am very happy that you had a great experience at our award winning restaurant The Grill 3301 on New Year’s Eve and that you will be returning to dine here.

We value your business very much and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay. I sincerely hope that you will give us the chance in the future to prove that we can do better than your experience suggests.

If you are returning please do not hesitate to contact me and I will make sure I take personal care of you.

Yours truly

Stuart Chappell

Write a ReviewReviews (2,378)

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We spent a week in this hotel, November 2013,
The weather that week was unusually warm for the time of the year, almost as if summer was hanging in there!
The hotel staff were very polite and the restaurant staff particularly good.
A great hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

It is very pleasing to hear that you found our Hotel to be great and that the Hotel and Restaurant Staff were all very polite and efficient.

We did have a very nice warm November so I am glad that was an added bonus to your holiday.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to our Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Exclusive the weather everything was according Corinthia's standard. Beautiful view for the bay, cleanliness of all (eight) pools as 4stars hotel, various food of Mediterranean cuisine. Staff fulfilled all of our wishes. Very quiet area but not far from "down town". No problem for the family with small boys.....

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jiri K

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

I am very happy that you and your family enjoyed our magnificent views, the pools and their cleanliness, our various food options as well as the quality of service of our Staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to our Hotel.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

My partner and I have just enjoyed the best christmas at this hotel. We were upgraded free of charge. Had a wonderful 4 course meal in the grill,, beautiful ,sea views staff were lovely, so helpful. The attention to detail was wonderful. Hotel room was great, huge comfy bed. All staff wecame across were so friendly. Breakfast ... there is something for everyone , very nice. The waffles are great, with homemade jams . Just wanted to thank everyone for a lovely stay and will recommend to friends and fam. Deffinately going to book for next christmas! Really good value for money .

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

I am very proud to read that you had the best Christmas every and that you enjoyed the complimentary upgrade, the meal at our award winning restaurant The Grill 3301, our lavish buffet breakfast, the amazing sea views and our helpful and lovely staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to our Hotel during the next holiday season.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed in the hotel couple times on different stays in Malta and would not stay any were else by choice. The staff are great they have a diving school attached 'Starfish Diving' very clean and professional.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SeanMcgahern
Stuart C, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

I am very happy that you keep on returning and that you find our Staff to be great. It is good that you enjoy the Starfish Diving Centre too.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to our Hotel once again in the future.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Majestically situated on the headland. Didn't pay for sea view, but got one anyway, hard to imagine many rooms without some degree of sea view. Fantastic buffet breakfast. Very grand entrance. Room spacious & immaculately clean. Everything works & not hit with any extra charges snook in on departure! Bus stop close by though buses not that frequent (out of season - December) Very quiet area

1  Thank Jane A

I am very glad to hear that you liked our location, our grand entrance, the spaciousness and cleanliness of your room and our amazing buffet breakfast.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to our Hotel.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I'm a bit disappointed in this hotel, as it was portrayed as a 5 star hotel, and it definitely is not. Its average. I get the sense that the concierge gets a kickback from certain restaurants, as they only recommended restaurants that were absolutely disgusting. I had nothing but horrible meals until I gave up on recommendations and branched out on my own. The white taxis that the hotel arranges are a rip off and charge way more than the more reliable ecabs, as I learned the hard way. Call or text ecabs and don't rely on any white cabs. The Hop on Hop off bus that the hotel arranges offers the worst service, did not show up at time in their timetables and we would had to wait an hour and a half for a bus in Mdina. The hotel would not give us the money we paid them for the bus back (you pay half to the bus driver and half to the hotel). I just don't trust this hotel, as it is clear they are working with providers that take advantage of tourists and are getting something for it. They should be protecting their guests, not setting them up with the worst of the worst in malta.

The rooms are decent, the bathroom could be much nicer. The room service is unimpressive and they could provide a proper breakfast (give me scrambled eggs and a latte), but thats probably being a little picky.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

I am sorry to hear that you had a problem with the Restaurants recommended by the Concierge, the taxi fares, the Hop on Hop Off Bus and the quality of the Room Service.

I have discussed these issues with the Head Concierge and the Room Service Manager for them to take the necessary corrective action so as to avoid such incidents in the future.

It is a pity that you did not try our award winning fine dining restaurant The Grill 3301, or our very popular Henry J Bean’s Bar and Grill as you surely would not have been disappointed.

On a positive note, I am happy that you liked our rooms.

Yours truly

1 mi away
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
#8 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay? Share your experiences!