Me and my better half (both locals), stayed at the San Gorg Hotel for an overnight for New Year's. Booking was flawless. Antonella Camilleri, from Corinthia's central reservation office, was very helpful. Although being a last minute booking, we managed to get a very good price for a Deluxe Sea view room (it was the cheapest 5 star in the area). The hotel has a parking area, but unlike others around the island, the rates are not listed next to the entrance barrier. Its 3 euro per day for guests staying at the Hotel. A complimentary ticket is issued for diners. The parking area does not have a lift, so, unless you can carry your luggage, I would recommend stopping at the entrance, and parking afterwards. On entrance, we were not greeted by anyone, there was a smartly dressed staff member close to the door, but he was busy having a chat with a fellow staff member. Thankfully, there was a luggage trolley lying around next to the reception desk, where we could hang my suit, and her dress, and put down our luggage. Milan was the front office personnel who assisted us to check in. He greeted us with half a smile, and did not provide any relevant information regarding the hotel. It was our first stay at the hotel. Having booked for dinner, I enquired regarding the seating time, which he checked instantly for us. Oddly enough, the full payment was asked to be settled immediately, and, unlike other hotels, a pre-authorisation for extra expenses was not taken. (On check out, we obviously had to settle other payments). Once we were given our room key, we had to find our way to the room. The concierge/bell boy, only offered to take our luggage once we had already started making our way to the room. We politely passed up on the offer.
Our room was exactly what we expected, spacious and with a good view. The beds were very comfortable ( we had two double beds in the room), all the basic amenities were available and the T.V had a vast selection of channels, including sports and movie. The only issues that bothered us was the temperature of the room, which was rather warm. We did attempt to adjust it, but we could not regulate the temperature. Also, the bathroom door of room 148 is quite stiff.
The room service menu was quite vast, and the prices were reasonable. We ordered a funghi pizza, which I can safely say is the best I've ever had. The crust was fantastic, and the toppings were delicious. It was delivered quite fast too. It would have been nice though to have the room service attendant attempt a smile, and, possibly, enquire whether we required anything else. Then again, he was just there to serve a pizza.
We booked dinner for the night at the Grill 3301 restaurant, which does not form part of the main building. Hence, we had to navigate our way, in the rain, down a hill outside the hotel. There are stairs within the hotel that lead to the restaurant, however we decided to take the concierge's advice to go from outside, as it was safer. Thankfully, it was worth the struggle.The restaurant has a very nice décor, the atmosphere was very cosy, and the pianist was the right touch for the night. Being New Year's eve, we did not want to dine in a very busy place, and this was precisely what we envisioned. All the tables are well spaced, and with a great outdoor sea view. The service was slightly slow to being with, but, once we had our order taken, the staff certainly made up for it. The food was immaculate, and the portions were good. The amuse bouche was a great way to start off the meal, the starter was a salad served in a bowl with dry ice, which looked stunning. For mains, my better half then opted for cod , but my Scottish beef fillet was the winner. It was cooked medium rare, precisely as ordered, and the accompaniments gave the dish a whole different dimension. Having dined at most of the steak-houses on the island, I can safely say that the Grill is the best of them all. The pre-dessert and the dessert were the cherry on the cake. The only minor things I can point out is that there wasn't an umbrella holder, so people where just putting them against a wall next to the entrance, which did look a bit tacky. An extra host greeting, and seating, people on arrival would have reduced the clutter next to the entrance door. All in all though, the staff did an excellent job to greet us into the New Year. Thanks!
Breakfast, like all the other meals we had, failed to disappoint. There was a big variety of all the standard items, and the buffet was laid out in a way that items were duplicated to avoid queues. The waffles/pancakes were a fantastic treat to wake up to.
For what we paid, we can't quite fault the Corinthia San Gorg, however, it is a 5 star hotel, and I don't feel we did get the 5 star treatment at all. Apart from the staff at the Grill, most of the other staff were cold, and made you feel as though they're doing you a favour in offering their service. On check out, there were two men at the entrance acknowledging most of the foreign guests, but, being young and local, we didn't quite seem to fit in what they may have deemed as worthy guests The concierge/bell boy, once again, only offered to take our bags once we were making our way out to the car. We will definitely be back at the Grill 3301 restaurant, however, we will not consider going back to stay at the hotel. There are better 5 star hotels in the area that truly offer every guest the experience, one would expect, when opting to use their services. There are other lower rated hotels which are quite popular with both locals and tourists, as well as 2 boutique hotels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Corinthia Hotel St. George’s Bay is one of the best luxury hotels in Malta, bringing together outstanding sea views, enchanting luxury and unbeatable service.Standing like a beacon of luxury accommodation on a promontory overlooking St. George’s Bay in Malta, the Corinthia Hotel St. George’s Bay can’t help but inspire dreams. Choose from a range of sumptuous rooms, each with a private balcony and state-of-the-art amenities couched in an elegant design that combines historic romance with a fresh contemporary edge. Guests of this 5 star luxury hotel in Malta are treated to unique experiences throughout their stay.There’s no need to tear yourself away from the picture postcard views of the bluest Mediterranean for dinner: each of the luxury hotel’s 9 fine restaurants offers ravishing vistas along with the most delectable meals. Dine al fresco at the Grill 3301 rooftop terrace, surrounded by the soft sea breeze, 360º views, and the mouthwatering aromas of fine cuisine. Or take a sip of a wide selection of fine wines in the exquisite French-style charm of the Vinotheque Bistro. The adventurous will be spoilt for choice with the hotel’s water sport centre, which offers private yacht hire, and the on-site diving centre. The famous Lido at the Corinthia Hotel St. George’s Bay also offers 3 pools, children’s pool, bars, restaurants, sunbeds, and sea access, perfect for relaxing and enjoying the wonderful location. And for pure tranquility, there’s even a spa. But not just any spa: the Apollo Day Spa provides the ultimate in holistic pampering and wellness treatments designed to bring out the best, carefree side of you. Completed by an idyllic location that gives easy access to the highlights of Malta, there’s truly no better place to make your Malta holiday than the Corinthia Hotel St. George’s Bay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wyndham Saint Julians
- Corinthia Hotel Saint Julians
- Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay Malta