“Grill 3301”

Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
“Grill 3301”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed with my family over the New Year period. We had a great room overlooking the bay, and with executive lounge access, the kids were able to grab a snack after swimming every day. The most outstanding part of the Hotel however was the Grill 3301. We ate there three times and were never dissappointed. Top quality fresh fish, great service and a fantastic view over the bay. Great Hotel to stay in, and a restaurant not to miss.

Room Tip: Book an executive room. The lounge is a real treat
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Stuart C, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Many thanks for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

I am very happy to hear that you had a great time with us and that you enjoyed the services of the Executive Lounge. It is also very pleasing to read that you visited our Award Winning Restaurant, the Grill 3301, and you always found it to be excellent.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to the Grill 3301 in the future.

Stuart Chappell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I recently stayed at the Corinthia during a business trip to Malta. My company booked a deluxe sea view room with breakfast included. I arranged to have their taxi or car service come pick me up prior to arrival. For 21 euros it made arrival painless and quick and is worth the extra cost as compared to the airport shuttle or a standard taxi. My driver was very pleasant and pointed out all the sights along the way. It probably took about 15-20mins to arrive in St. Julian’s.

Check-in was quick, I was assigned room 54 on the lobby level with a view over the pool and if you shifted to the right on the balcony, you could see the bay. The room had two twin beds and was fairly spacious with a desk, a table and two chairs and a TV stand/dresser with a few drawers. The majority of the dresser was the minibar which took up too much room (I would have liked more storage and nothing in the fridge so I could put in my own items). I never used the TV but I was told there were several English channels. There was a spacious closet and a safe located near the door. Two bottles of water were provided upon check-in which was nice.

The bathroom was a bit smaller than I expected with the toilet tucked behind the door and a corner sink. The bathtub was set-up with a shower extension in place of the traditional hand shower only. There was no shower curtain just a half glass door that swung out. Unfortunately it was not sealed between the tub and the door so if you take a normal shower, the water will run out and you will have a lake for a bathroom floor. I caution you to take care to rinse off with the hand shower attachment so that it points in the back corner. It makes for a slower shower, but prevents the water from getting all over the floor. Bathroom amenities were plentiful with Vive soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. The bathroom does not have any outlets for electronics except for shavers. Instead, a hair dryer is provided in the top desk drawer. There is a mirror over the desk so you can dry and style your hair, but be aware that the hair dryer is hooked into the desk and cannot be removed. You also have to hold down the button while you are using it as it does not click into place. If you are from the US, bring Type G adaptor plugs and you should have no problem plugging in your dual voltage electronics for use in the hotel.

I used the internet quite frequently for email and Skype calls to the US. Connectivity was free over wireless, but a charge to plug in directly. The wireless was spotty, dropping my calls and disconnecting from my email frequently especially later in the evening when I needed to use it. I also had an issue with using the A/C the first night when it was especially warm in the room. The A/C did not work and I was told later that it’s shut off in the winter. I did not call down to the front desk, but if you have this problem, they will likely take care of it if you let them know. It was very windy while I was there and the room certainly does whistle when the weather is like that however, outside of this, I found the room quiet and comfortable. No one was using the pool in the winter so I imagine it could be noisy in the summer.

One issue that I was not happy with was the gym was closed and then under renovation and no alternative was offered. It’s extremely important for me to maintain a fitness routine and I would have liked a pass to another hotel or access to the personal training studio during this time. No apology was made for lack of this service while on the premises and the spa staff was almost rude when asked for an alternative. They pointed me to the personal training studio, but once there the staff turned away the regular guests since it was full of clients. With the renovation finished, you are not likely to run into this issue but it was not a pleasant experience for me.

Since I couldn’t get into the gym I resorted to yoga and pilates in my room. The furniture is easy enough to move around, but I noticed that the carpet is not vacuumed from day to day as the same debris that blew in from my balcony was still there day after day. I would have expected a hotel like this to perform basic cleaning of the carpet, but other than that, the bathroom and the rest of the room was fairly well kept.

Breakfast was served each morning in the hotel on the level below the lobby, buffet style. You just give the host your name and room number and you can choose your seat. There is a wide range of options from tea, juices and coffee, cereal, warm made to order waffles, European style meats and cheese, fruit, yogurt, eggs, beans and other savory items. Breakfast hours were adjusted for the meeting attendees, but the normal hours accommodated both early and late risers.

I tried a few of the restaurants along the bay that are connected (billing-wise) to the hotel and you can charge the bill back to your room which is convenient. It’s a short walk through the pool area to reach them and there’s a decent variety to choose from for a nice or casual lunch. It's also easy to walk into town to try local venues, but bring good walking shoes and be aware that you will have to climb a winding hill or a few steps on the way back. Andrew’s Bar is located just down the hill and serves excellent glasses of local wine on their outdoor patio weather-permitting.

The staff and services at the hotel were very good. I already mentioned the taxi service which is efficient and which you can bill to your room and I also utilized the dry cleaning/laundry which was returned the same day as long as you get it in by 8:30am. The front desk also assisted in setting up a return taxi to the airport, itemizing my bill and giving me directions to their business center so I could print my boarding task. Everyone I met with the exception of the spa reception and the personal training center were kind and helpful and made my stay very pleasant. I would have rated the hotel slightly higher if the floor had been cleaned and some apology/alternative made for the gym.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 54 on the same floor as the lobby. It faces the pool and part of the bay and is eas...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jennifer S
Thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and that your comments overall were all very positive.

I do apologise for the lack of vacuuming and the temporary closure of the gym due to urgent maintenance issues. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. This is not our usual standard.

I have discussed these issues with the Executive Housekeeper and the Spa / Gym Manager for them to take the necessary corrective action and to make sure that we communicate the closure of any facilities in a more efficient manner, so as to avoid such incidents in the future.

We value your business very much and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Dingli, Malta
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Although the weather was not good to go out and we stayed the weekend at the hotel, it was most enjoyable and relaxing. The environment was excellent and the employees were just as well. We got pampered and the food was excellent.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet, and see view - excellent!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

It is very nice to hear that you found our Hotel environment and the service of our employees excellent. It is a pity that the weather was not good, this is very unusual. At the moment we are enjoying sunny weather with temperatures of 21 degrees.

We look forward to welcoming you back to a warmer Malta in the future.

St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Even if you aren't staying at this gorgeous hotel (and your should - the service is excellent, the comfort factor high and views truly astounding), try and get a booking at Grill 3301. It's location on a rooftop makes the whole experience extra special and a wonderfully special holiday memory.

Room Tip: Our room had a fantastic view - i don't know if they all do but definitely asking for this when...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Liz C

I am very happy to read that we exceeded your expectations, both during your stay with us and during your dinner at our Award Winning Restaurant, the Grill 3301.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Excellent service from the beginning to the point that we left. On a January weeknight it was not busy at all but there was no hint of the staff giving anything less than their full attention (unlike our experiences in other restaurants). The food was very good. Yes it was not the cheapest meal we had in Malta but we knew it was going to cost a bit more than average. You can eat for less elsewhere of course but this was our treat night of the stay and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James D
Stuart C, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this review, 5 February 2014

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed the excellent quality of food and service we provide at our Award Winning Restaurant, the Grill 3301.

Cambridge
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in a Delux room with sea view. Being honest was slightly disappointed that I had a view of the sea once I looked past the car park. Rooms on the other side overlook the pool and bay-although due to windy weather most had whistling issues from the wind and their patio doors (I did not).
Room was large and comfortable in particular the huge bed and wonderful pillows!
Lots of english speaking TV channels.
Bathroom was fine, not exceptional and as another reviewer mentioned weak shower.
Staff were all very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was pleasant.
The rate was very inexpensive due to the time of year (I would imagine).
I would stay here again the bed was to die for!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank TheClanster
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our large room and the comfort of our Corinthia Bed, which you describe as ‘to die for’.

It is also pleasing to read that you enjoyed our lavish buffet breakfast and that all our Staff were friendly and helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to our Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Hotel is lovely. Manages to still be very friendly even though it's quite posh! Bedroom was huge as well the wonderfully comfortable beds. Bathroom didn't quite live up to that. Shower was a bit weak.

Nice choice of fruits and yogurts for breakfast, plus the usual 'English' selection.

Hotel is not in St Julians and to get there, you need to get through the awful Paceville, which is mainly bars and strip clubs. Still there's a great bus service from just outside the hotel to Valletta from where you can explore the entire island.

Weather wasn't good, but I can imagine the outdoor pool area being great in the summer. Indoor pool was incredibly relaxing. Nice sauna and an OK gym.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robin S
Stuart C, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this review, 31 January 2014

I am really glad that you liked our rooms, the comfort of our ‘Corinthia Bed’, our lavish buffet breakfast, the service of our staff, our indoor pool and the sauna. Our outdoor pools and recreational areas are amazing in summer.

We hope to welcome you back to Malta and to our Hotel in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
#12 of 33 in Saint Julian's
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema

Been to Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay? Share your experiences!