“Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
hucknall
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

At one time the location of the hotel would have been very good but unfortunately "Education First" an english language school has taken over St Georges bay with the resultant bars and clubs to cater for them. Think Magaluf or kavos and you get the idea. The room in the hotel was very good with an excellent view. We stayed Bed and Breakfast and I can endorse another reviewer who wrote that at breakfast cold food was warm and hot food cool.The management appeared to be more concerned with their corporate image and guests rather than the holidaymaker. While I understand that this is a lucrative part of the business the people on holiday have probably saved all year for this experience and to have part of the complex for which they have paid to use closed for private functions is not good business practice. We had a slight confrontation with staff regarding the brollies which we were ordered to take down as according to them it was very windy. To be fair the previous 2 days had been windy and it would have been unsafe for the brollies to be used however the day in question was calm and the slight breeze that was blowing came from behind the hotel which meant that the pool area was in the lee of the hotel. Eventually one of the staff used their initiative and put the brollies up. Food in the cafe area is very expensive although of good quality. If you take a short walk down the hill to Andrews bar you can get a good lunch for half the price

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the pool have great views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hucknall_traveler
Stuart C, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

I am glad that you found our Hotel to be very good and that you enjoyed the amazing views.

I apologise that you were not happy with the temperature of the food during breakfast, but as stated in a previous review, this was rectified immediately.

I am sorry that our Staff by the pool closed the umbrellas due to the wind but if an umbrella flies off it can cause some serious injuries, so that is why we are so careful to ensure that our guests are protected by our health and safety policies, at all times.

Our location is a very peaceful and quiet one, as although it is walking distance from the hustle and bustle of Paceville and the students, we are still far away enough not to be effected by all this.

Stuart Chappell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We choose the hotel for its location, quality and value for money.
Our room had a superb view, was very comfortable though a little tired and in need of an update though certainly nothing to complain about.
One matter that could be improved on is the breakfast facilities, most mornings when we choose to breakfast outside we had to wait for a table or give up and go inside. The breakfast choice was very good and food nicely prepared and presented.
One other thing for the hotel to consider would some daytime activists ie French Boules or some kind of keep fit class etc, though this may not be to every bodies taste.
I would highly recommend the hotel and would very much like to stay again in the future.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Gordon H
Many thanks for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

I am very happy that you liked our location, the quality of service and that we provided you with good value for money.

I will ask the Food & Beverage Manager to ensure that people are seated more quickly outside during Breakfast. On a positive note, I am glad that you found the choice at breakfast very good and the food nicely prepared and presented.

We do provide yoga classes in the Spa once a week at the moment and we shall be looking at a programme of more events for next year.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to our Hotel.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

...once you step into your room! Although impressive in the pictures it is looking tired and is in need of updating, especially the bathrooms! Great choice for breakfrast but food that should have been hot was cold and the cold food was warm! Once I mentioned this in a letter addressed to the General Manager, it was noticeable how the motors for the fridges actually seemed to be working the following day and we could enjoy cold fruit and yoghurt! It would be helpful to have butter and side plates alongside the bread/toaster rather than have to wander over the other side of the restaurant. Tea and coffee took an age to arrive at the table. Staff were helpful although too keen to take down the brollies at the mere hint of a breeze! Sections of the hotel were inaccessible during my 7 days for private functions. We paid to use all the facilities but too often we had to move from parts of the pool area so that staff could set up tables for a conference or private event! Interestingly Mr Chappell the General Manager only seems to respond to favourable comments on this site. I would return to Malta but would prefer to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: I was in room 243 above a noisy children's pool. I also had the noise of the air conditioning un...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tracy C
Stuart C, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for letting me know of the problem you had with the temperature of the food at breakfast and the setting up for private functions during your stay with us this month. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. This is not our usual standard.

I am glad that once you brought this to my attention you saw a difference immediately the next day in the temperature of the food at breakfast.

I, however, cannot agree with your comment that I only respond to favourable comments as I reply to all my guests, whether they have posted favourable or negative comments, as can be seen.

With regards to the functions by the pool, we offer a choice of 5 pools to our guests so our customers always have an alternative when we are setting up, which we only do very late in the afternoon.

On a positive note, I am glad that you were happy with the service of our Staff and the only reason why they close the umbrellas by the pool when it is windy, is for the safety of our guests.

If you have anything specific that you would like me to be aware of, please contact me on stuart.chappell@corinthia.com and I will happily deal with these issues directly.

We value your business very much and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay. I sincerely hope that you will give us the chance in the future to prove that we can do better than your experience suggests.

Yours truly

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We spent a week here utilizing the executive room level and with the lounge it was perfect for a weeks r and r with no hassle from pool games or massuers hawking for business. Would deffo go again to corinthian st georges and recommend to anyone if they asked where to go. Easy access to local bus routes and local facilities in walking distance. Caviar and bull well worth that special nite out meal too if u want to impress the other half

• Stayed June 2014
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

I am happy that you like our Hotel and its location and that you found the Executive Lounge perfect.

It is good to know that you wish to return and that you would definitely recommend our Hotel to others.

Leicester, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed here with my husband from 20 June 2014 until 30 June 2014. We booked a Junior Suite when they had one of the special offers on. From the moment we arrived the staff couldn't do enough for us. We truly felt pampered from start to finish. Because we had booked to stay in a Junior Suite we also got to use the Executive facilities - snacks, soft drinks and beers all day up until 6pm and then from 6pm hot food and wine was also served. This was a real treat. Every day we were treated to bottled water in our room and every evening on our return from going out, either a plate of cakes or biscuits was also left for us. Nothing was too much trouble either. Room service and housekeeping really took care of us and our room was immaculate every day. Round the pool was another treat - staff came round with either fresh fruit or cold drinks - what with it being over 30 degrees most days - but this was a nice touch. Having stayed at most of the 5 stars in Malta, including The Hilton on several occasions - this is the first time staff members were sent round to clean peoples sunglasses!! You really can not fault The Corinthia for going the extra mile. The location is good, there were always plenty of sunbeds round the pool, our room was spotless, the staff were great and the amenities etc. were spot on. Breakfast was lovely too. We had breakfast in Executive Lounge a few times as well as from the large buffet and although the buffet was really good, the breakfast in the Executive Lounge was absolutely superb. I can't praise this hotel enough. Loved it, loved it, loved it. :)

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with a Junior Suite!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel St George’s Bay.

I am very pleased to read that you have only praise for our Hotel and the Staff and that you very much enjoyed the Executive Club Facilities, our Breakfast, the niceties around the pool and the cleanliness of your Junior Suite with the complimentary water and sweets.

I am also glad that we pampered you from start to finish. That is what the Corinthia service is all about.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to our Hotel very soon.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Hotel facilities and rooms are old-fahioned. Nice seaview/bayview.
Poor and extremely slow service at breakfast as most of the waiters are apprentices.
We reported a theft in our room to management and after 2 days of 'investigation' could not obtain a sollution in the form of a compensation or appologize which we consired as very rude !

We certainly will never come back to the hotel and would suggest to stay next door in the Raddisson Blue which is beautifull and modern.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for letting me know of the problem you had with the service at breakfast and with the loss of your horse hair bracelet during your stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. This is not our usual standard.

As advised by our Chief of Security and me personally, when we took a lock read of your room, there was no record of anyone entering at the time your item went missing. Since you did not want to report the incident to the police we could not do anything further and could not give compensation if no proof of theft existed. Also, the Hotel provides a safe in each room for the guests to lock their valuable belongings. I did personally apologise for not being able to help you further.

With regards to the service at breakfast, I have asked the Food & Beverage Manager to make sure that we are properly manned at all times.

Yours truly

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We arrived at midday and our room was not ready so the hotel suggested we go and eat - we went to Henry J Beans. Nothing wrong with the food - burger and caesar salad - but the service was dire - in spite of there being only 3 tables for the waiter to serve. And that in a nutshell is what is wrong with this hotel. The service lets it down badly - especially the breakfast when its hit or miss if you are going to get asked for tea or coffee, or if there are enough cups for juice. The lack of an egg station is made up by the fact that you can order your eggs to your choice - whether you get them or not is another matter.
So to the positives - the hotel is in a great position just outside of Paceville overlooking St Georges Bay and with 5 pools (one indoor) to choose from, plus the sea off the rocks. There are plenty of sunbeds and fresh towels every day. Our room overlooked one of the pools and was large and well furnished - though the beds are a little on the soft side and the bathroom could do with an upgrade.
We ate at the buffet restaurant on the last night and there is a great choice though at 30 euros a head there are better options in town. We also ate at the Vinotheque in the neighbouring hotel but this was very disappointing and the rabbit had to be sent back as being overcooked and cold.
There are some great restaurants 10 minutes walk into town. Suruchi - for curries and Lebanese, Maltese Mama for traditional Maltese fare, Parapett great for pizza, Emperor of India for curry but the very best is Chapter 1 - Michelin trained chef and Maltese cuisine with a twist.
Paceville has all you could need with a Marks & Spencer for provisions in a small shopping centre.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TheAFCWombles

I am sorry that the quality of service at Henry J Bean’s and during Breakfast was not up to standard and I have asked the Food & Beverage Manager to look into this to make sure that we give our customers the five star service they deserve.

We have recently introduced a live cooking station during breakfast, as well as sparkling wine to complement the rest of the numerous lavish items on offer in the breakfast buffet.

I am pleased that you liked our location and our 5 pools as well as our buffet dinner.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Hotel Valentina
#1 of 34 in Saint Julian's
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,732 reviews
Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa

Been to Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay? Share your experiences!