“Relaxed but not as friendly as hoped”

Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Please don't get me wrong, the hotel was an ideal base for touring such an amazing Island & is indeed very relaxing. But for me, some of the staff were a bit stand offish & I seemed to be missing the friendly nature that I expected from a five star hotel. I am unsure if it was because I missed the opportunity to tip the concierge or if they were unsure how to treat me because I was travelling alone but I often felt uncomfortable when I needed to ask for some help. One thing above all else that really irritated me was that the name on my room was Mr & Mrs- clearly I was a solo traveller, the booking for the room was only in my name- I felt there was a lack of attention to detail that was disappointing. However, I was impressed with the young lady who I met at breakfast every morning- she took the time to learn my name, where I tended to sit & was so happy & professional that perhaps she deserves the five stars.
One other thing to mention is that if there is a function at the hotel while staying there, expect to be unable to use the outdoor pools, barely be able to walk throught reception & hear the event even if not part of it. While staying there, I saw a birthday party, drinks reception & three weddings & they took over everything! Its a large hotel- surely these events could be accommodated while also allowing guests to make use of the many facilities the hotel boasts?!
My bathroom badly needed redecorating as the floor tiles were cracked & the paint on the ceiling had started to flake off. However the bedroom was spacious, cleaned every day & the bed was quite comfortable. I would stay there again, however I no longer would have such high expectations & I don't think I would go in peak season.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2010

Dear Guest,

Please allow me to thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I hope you will accept my very sincere apologies for the lack of attention to details and especially our failure to pamper you and make you feel right at home.

I have dicussed your comments with our Managers in order for them to take the appropirate actions and continue to porvide personalised service to our guests, even when the hotel is busy. I am however very pleased that Marija our Breakfast Hostess did take good care of you.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused by the functions that took place by pool area.

Thank you for allowing us another chance to serve you better and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you soon again.

Your opinion is important to us.

M. Sami - General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,415)

Reviewed 4 September 2010

Granted we stayed on a Travel Zoo upgrade out of season BUT we our room was just amazing; the service spot on and everything about the hotel just perfect.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2010

Dear Guest,

I would like to express my sincere appreciation to you for taking the time to share your experience. The entire Team and I were pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay and we all look forward to welocming you back soon again!

Reviewed 29 August 2010

We stayed at the Corinthia St. George for 10 nights in August. We booked a junior suite for our stay and at the time of booking we did not realise this included membership of the Corinthia executive club. This proved to be an excellent facility, private breakfast and free snacks and drinks available throughout the day. If this is not the best hotel in Malta then the staff must be. Always attentive, courteous and helpful, nothing too much trouble, smiling and well informed. Everything you would expect for a top class hotel.

The hotel is spotlessly clean and the swimming pools are terrific, particularly the top deeper pool which is quieter and never got too busy throughout our stay. Always sun beds available and no awful scramble.

The room was excellent with a lovely sea view, spacious and well appointed with free internet access. Food was good, in particular the 3011 Grill which is part of the group was superb. Freshly caught fish in changing varieties and again the staff were terrific. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Malta who wants that little bit extra. 5* all the way as far as we were concerned.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ke1thred
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2010

Dear Guests,

I was delighted to read your comments and would like to express my appreciation to you for taking the time to describe your experience.

I have congratulated our Team and allowed myself to forward your comments to all our Team Members.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Corinthia and we all very sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home.

Reviewed 27 August 2010

The Corinthia Hotel St Georges bay is a proper 5 star hotel in a beautiful location. We took a junior suite and the rooms were large and comfortable and each had a separate balcony. A bed was placed in the sitting room for my daughter but there was also a lovely sofa that could be turned into a double bed. The décor and cleanliness were excellent.
From the moment we arrived at 3am everything was perfect. We were given a warm welcome by the night staff with fruit & water in our room. We woke up very late the next day about 11am and missed breakfast but were able to have a late breakfast of cereal, fruit,scrambled egg & sausages in the complimentary executive lounge. There was fresh food and drinks available there all day such as dips, cheese, fruit, bread, pastries.

The Corinthia has lots of swimming pools and lots restaurants and we tried most of them during our stay.

We spent hours each day in two main pools which were warm and salty and very lovely and never too crowded. There were quite a few loungers blocked with towels and no one using them, but nonetheless, we managed to get 3 sun loungers with an umbrella each day. There were waiters floating around but they never intruded. However they were there whenever I felt like an excellent margarita or some food. We preferred to have lunch at the poolside restaurant that served a lovely goat cheese salad.

I was not overly impressed with t the buffet. Too many flavours. I think a carvery would have been better. However the desserts were delicious and we just ended up having pasta, salad and lots of desserts.

Annoyingly, there were no descriptions with the desserts about which items contained nuts in the recipe. Everything said 'may contain traces of nuts', which is pretty useless information . I asked the waiter if the pastry of the lemon meringue contained almonds and got the same old drivel about may contain traces of nuts. However, the waiter got the point & was very helpful in getting the information from the cook. The service overall was excellent.

There were 2 outdoor pools and the spa pool which we used. There is also a Lido pool which is open to the public. It was very busy so we stayed away but I was happy that the public could enjoy the wonderful facilities while we watched from our balcony. It seemed more democratic. Beyond the Lido pool is public access to the sea via the step ladders off large slabs of rock and there is a beach down the road used d by teenagers who seemed very civilised. The view across the bay was stunning.

All the restaurants that we tried were very good and the service was always up to scratch. One suggestion for the hotel is that the leave a book of the menus in the rooms. so we can plan our dining for the week and make bookings. The roof terrace and the American bar had a bit of entertainment but a little more entertainment in the evening would have been nice.

We took advantage of the breakfast boxes twice when we had to leave at 6am for a trip to Sicily and to the airport. There was no extra charge for this and they were fabulous. They container water, juice, yoghurt, 3 pieces of fruits a sandwich and bread-sticks. We really enjoyed our packed meal on the catamaran, it was a great luxury.

We loved knowing that could have a snack in the executive lounge and a dip in the pool before an excellent dinner after a hard days sightseeing. We slept very well each night. The staff and facilities at the Corinthian are worthy of 5 their five stars. I would highly recommend this hotel for people who want a comfortable hassle free holiday.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2010

Dear Guest,

Please accept my very sincere appreciation for having taken the time to describe your experience at our hotel.

I have taken the liberty to share your comments with all the members of the Team.

We all sincerely look ofrward to welcoming you back soon again!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2010

Very well run Hotel. Great helpful staff with clean and good sized rooms. Excellent location within easy walking distance of all the down town fun, but without the noise when back in the Hotel. Reasonable room only price (through www.booking.com) by Malta standards, at around £100 per night. Very good pool complex, but not enough sun loungers for everyone ---- had to use associated hotel next doors facilities.
The real issue here is that the bar, snacks and restaurant prices were very expensive ---more than 3 times what you would expect to pay down the road in St Georges Bay/ St Julian’s (Malta’s expensive to start with), so not many people used them. Pointless for a Hotel to price it’s services so high, as you feel like your being ripped off from the start of your stay, so you become guarded and don’t spend any more in the Hotel. Better to have lower prices and a busy bar and restaurant, as happy guests will always spend more. The free Wi-fi in reception area is very slow, but not worth paying 8 euro per hour for broadband in your room, as it’s not much faster.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your favourable comments about our Hotel. I read your observations about the lack of sufficient number of sun beds, the slow Wi-Fi and the the bars and restaurant prices.

I appreciate your positive feedback and sincerly apologize for the inconvenience caused.

We are in the process of upgrading our Internet in order for it to handle the high volume of usage without slowing down. As for the sun beds, we plan to increase their numbers in order ensure that all guests enjoy sunbathing without going through the trouble of looking for sun beds not is use by other Guests.

I have asked our Food and Beverage Manager to compare our food and beverage prices with the other five star hotels to ensure that we remain competitive and that we offer good value for money paid.

Reviewed 16 August 2010

We stayed at the San Gorg for my Sister In Laws wedding and although the hotel was fantastic and couldn't be faulted in anyway the resort of St Georges Bay lets it down in my opinion.

One minor niggle which probably says more about Thomas Cook than the hotel is that we arrived at 11.30 and we were told that our room wouldn't be ready until 2pm and having a 10 week old baby this was just not good enough, luckily friends had already arrived for the wedding and allowed us to us their room to freshen us and change our baby. When I complained to reception a room was then available! why not before??

The hotel looked after every need we had and was very spacious and clean all the time and anything we needed such as shoes cleaned, ironing help moving things for the wedding was accomodated without fuss.

The resort of St Georges Bay and Paceville is the 'Party Capital' of Malta and the lack of decent restaurants and quiet cafes was a dissappointment.

From my experiences I would reccommend the San Gorg Corinthia but hire a car and venture out of St Georges Bay on an evening.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2010

Dear Guests,

It was indeed a pleasure to read your comments about the hotel. Thank you very much.

I am so sorry for the delay in checking you in, but due to the fact that the hotel was booked to capacity, no rooms were available at the time of your early arrvial.

I have passed on your favorable comments about our service to the Team

Reviewed 14 August 2010

Had a very enjoyable stay , the room was very clean and modern, the facilities also excellent. Did however find the food and drink were very over priced. I suppose you have to expect this with a 4/5 star hotel. We paid 10 euro for a glass of lemonade and a bottle of water by the pool.... So I suggest you buy your own drinks at a shop and bring them back to the hotel.
We also had a bit of trouble trying to get toilet roll and an iron having to ring and then go to reception twice after waiting 45 mins .
So if your loaded and expect 4 star service this is the place for you.

GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2010

Dear Guest,

I am so glad that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel and thank you so much for sharing your comments and observations.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in providing you with a toilet roll and an iron. Please rest assured that I will discuss this with the Reception Team in order to esnure that such delays do not occur in the future.

M.Sami - General Manager

1 mi away
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
#7 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay? Share your experiences!