“great hotel & location...just needs a litle attention to detail.”

Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Spent 10 nights in Room 60, Reception level which over looks St.Georges Bay from Sept 4 to 14. Reception staff, conceirge and restaurant staff all efficient. With sister hotel (Corinthia Marina) there are many restaurant options and only a 10 minute walk to St.Julian's where there are many good restaurants. Public bus service only 100 metres from hotel. Had lovely meal at Terrace Restaurant, Kristos was very friendly and often stopped for a chat when he saw us around the hotel. Only disappointment was the standard of the cleaning of our room. Our room was ready when we arrived, however, it did not look like it had seen a vacuam cleaner when cleaned before our arrival and the same fluff, flower petals etc, remained on the carpet when we checked out. The decorative pillow on our bed had a stain on it that looked like vomit and the tidy in the bathroom was rusted and stained. We drew this items to the attention of housing keeping by the most polite way (leaving a note), but nothing was done. In view of the fact that we were very happy with all other aspects of the hotel, we did not take the matter further. All in all a good location, plenty of food options, 3 pools to choose from, just a pity that there is not a little more attention to the standard of room cleaning.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2010

Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for sharing your observations with us. Please accept my very sincere apology for the lack of adequate housekeeping in the room you occupied.

I have discussed the matter with our Housekeeper in order for her to take the needed corrective action.
The Team joins me in thanking for choosing our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

M. Sami

Write a ReviewReviews (2,375)

Reviewed 30 September 2010

The hotel is ok, but there are better locations and quality elsewhere for the rate. We only ate the breakfast once, expensive for what it was. We ate on the terrace one night, great location, shame about the food. If you must, H.J. Beans looks ok but do you really want to eat in an American Sports bar in Malta? Rooms were tidy, well appointed and functional.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We value your opinion and use as a tool to improve where needed.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 26 September 2010

.......booked (eventually) Corinthia St. Georges thro Expedia as they came up with the best deal (just) and were a known and reasonably trusted name. Eventually, the booking process was quite acceptable, but that was after 2 false starts that saw me curtail calls to their booking line (call centre) due to the inability of the agents to speak clear and understandable English.
Secured a Junior Suite on Exec floor + flights with Easyjet ex LGW + luggage + car to/from hotel in Malta; 8 nights B&B for around £1400 for my partner & I.
All arrangements went well with/via Expedia, including meeting/greeting at Malta airport, paperwork, car etc. First impressions of hotel v +tive. Escorted straight to Exec Floor desk for check-in, then taken straight to room, all very efficient, polite and friendly. Our room was everything as advertised, well prepared, clean, good decoration, interestingly designed, spacious, great view...... no nasty surprises. Throughout the stay the room was serviced & cleaned routinely to a most acceptable standard, towels changed daily, small chocs left by the "sweet fairy" (who we never caught) every evening, bed turned back, tea/coffee & bathroom accessories all regularly replenished; in summary everything you would expect from a 5* hotel and for an Exec floor suite; but yes, they did what they said on the can.
Breakfast could be taken (with slightly less choice but better coffee), in the Exec lounge, otherwise in the main restaurant on the lower ground floor. I'd read a few indifferent comments about the breakfast on Trip Advisor. I can now understand the slight reservations expressed by some, NOT the real concerns stated by a few others, (but each to their own and how they actually found things). There was something a tad plasticy, slightly cafeteria-ish about the breakfast downstairs. Some members of the younger staff had a (typical) "not bovvered" attitude that regretably (as an employer) we're witnessing increasingly back here.
In general, and the foregoing to one side, all (other) staff were superb, freindly, helpful and to be recommended.
All facilities at the hotel were again as advertised, public areas cleaned regularly including round the pools; good Spa and facilities ( so I was assured by my resident expert), snack/coffee bar near pools good etc etc.
Overall, a very acceptable stay, and we would return. The deal we achieved was decent value; not worth the full advertised price of in excess of £200/night for B&B though.

General statement though; they are routinely advertised as a 5 star establishment. They are not. They are however a very solid 4* hotel, and indeed i would accept probably 4.5 star.

Much has been written in other reports of location, and proximity to the increasingly infamous Paceville area. Paceville is not particularly pleasant from around 9ish onwards most evenings. You don't have to be terribly worldly or well travelled to guess what is going on and on offer or likely to occur in the central area. Happily, one can "navigate" around it or thro it by bus/cab. On the fringes are a number of really quite good restaurants; it's also a necessary journey to get to/frm Sleima & Valetta. The Corinthia is conveniently away and slightly further up the coast from Paceville; a factor that influenced our decision against 2 or 3 other properties. Our advice; do consdier the geography of your prospective hotel before finally booking. If you are 20 yrs old you'll possibly want to ignore our report' should you be late 20's + and/or have children then take note.
Overall, as stated, we had a very pleasant holiday and found (at the price) the Corinthia to be most worthy of recommendation.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2010

Dear Guest,

I read the detailed account of your stay with great interest. Thank you for taking the time to write. I am delighted that your stay was enjoyable.

Kindly note that I have shared your comments and observation with the Team. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 24 September 2010

Please don't get me wrong, the hotel was an ideal base for touring such an amazing Island & is indeed very relaxing. But for me, some of the staff were a bit stand offish & I seemed to be missing the friendly nature that I expected from a five star hotel. I am unsure if it was because I missed the opportunity to tip the concierge or if they were unsure how to treat me because I was travelling alone but I often felt uncomfortable when I needed to ask for some help. One thing above all else that really irritated me was that the name on my room was Mr & Mrs- clearly I was a solo traveller, the booking for the room was only in my name- I felt there was a lack of attention to detail that was disappointing. However, I was impressed with the young lady who I met at breakfast every morning- she took the time to learn my name, where I tended to sit & was so happy & professional that perhaps she deserves the five stars.
One other thing to mention is that if there is a function at the hotel while staying there, expect to be unable to use the outdoor pools, barely be able to walk throught reception & hear the event even if not part of it. While staying there, I saw a birthday party, drinks reception & three weddings & they took over everything! Its a large hotel- surely these events could be accommodated while also allowing guests to make use of the many facilities the hotel boasts?!
My bathroom badly needed redecorating as the floor tiles were cracked & the paint on the ceiling had started to flake off. However the bedroom was spacious, cleaned every day & the bed was quite comfortable. I would stay there again, however I no longer would have such high expectations & I don't think I would go in peak season.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2010

Dear Guest,

Please allow me to thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I hope you will accept my very sincere apologies for the lack of attention to details and especially our failure to pamper you and make you feel right at home.

I have dicussed your comments with our Managers in order for them to take the appropirate actions and continue to porvide personalised service to our guests, even when the hotel is busy. I am however very pleased that Marija our Breakfast Hostess did take good care of you.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused by the functions that took place by pool area.

Thank you for allowing us another chance to serve you better and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you soon again.

Your opinion is important to us.

Reviewed 4 September 2010

Granted we stayed on a Travel Zoo upgrade out of season BUT we our room was just amazing; the service spot on and everything about the hotel just perfect.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2010

Dear Guest,

I would like to express my sincere appreciation to you for taking the time to share your experience. The entire Team and I were pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay and we all look forward to welocming you back soon again!

Reviewed 29 August 2010

We stayed at the Corinthia St. George for 10 nights in August. We booked a junior suite for our stay and at the time of booking we did not realise this included membership of the Corinthia executive club. This proved to be an excellent facility, private breakfast and free snacks and drinks available throughout the day. If this is not the best hotel in Malta then the staff must be. Always attentive, courteous and helpful, nothing too much trouble, smiling and well informed. Everything you would expect for a top class hotel.

The hotel is spotlessly clean and the swimming pools are terrific, particularly the top deeper pool which is quieter and never got too busy throughout our stay. Always sun beds available and no awful scramble.

The room was excellent with a lovely sea view, spacious and well appointed with free internet access. Food was good, in particular the 3011 Grill which is part of the group was superb. Freshly caught fish in changing varieties and again the staff were terrific. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Malta who wants that little bit extra. 5* all the way as far as we were concerned.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ke1thred
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2010

Dear Guests,

I was delighted to read your comments and would like to express my appreciation to you for taking the time to describe your experience.

I have congratulated our Team and allowed myself to forward your comments to all our Team Members.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Corinthia and we all very sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home.

Reviewed 27 August 2010

The Corinthia Hotel St Georges bay is a proper 5 star hotel in a beautiful location. We took a junior suite and the rooms were large and comfortable and each had a separate balcony. A bed was placed in the sitting room for my daughter but there was also a lovely sofa that could be turned into a double bed. The décor and cleanliness were excellent.
From the moment we arrived at 3am everything was perfect. We were given a warm welcome by the night staff with fruit & water in our room. We woke up very late the next day about 11am and missed breakfast but were able to have a late breakfast of cereal, fruit,scrambled egg & sausages in the complimentary executive lounge. There was fresh food and drinks available there all day such as dips, cheese, fruit, bread, pastries.

The Corinthia has lots of swimming pools and lots restaurants and we tried most of them during our stay.

We spent hours each day in two main pools which were warm and salty and very lovely and never too crowded. There were quite a few loungers blocked with towels and no one using them, but nonetheless, we managed to get 3 sun loungers with an umbrella each day. There were waiters floating around but they never intruded. However they were there whenever I felt like an excellent margarita or some food. We preferred to have lunch at the poolside restaurant that served a lovely goat cheese salad.

I was not overly impressed with t the buffet. Too many flavours. I think a carvery would have been better. However the desserts were delicious and we just ended up having pasta, salad and lots of desserts.

Annoyingly, there were no descriptions with the desserts about which items contained nuts in the recipe. Everything said 'may contain traces of nuts', which is pretty useless information . I asked the waiter if the pastry of the lemon meringue contained almonds and got the same old drivel about may contain traces of nuts. However, the waiter got the point & was very helpful in getting the information from the cook. The service overall was excellent.

There were 2 outdoor pools and the spa pool which we used. There is also a Lido pool which is open to the public. It was very busy so we stayed away but I was happy that the public could enjoy the wonderful facilities while we watched from our balcony. It seemed more democratic. Beyond the Lido pool is public access to the sea via the step ladders off large slabs of rock and there is a beach down the road used d by teenagers who seemed very civilised. The view across the bay was stunning.

All the restaurants that we tried were very good and the service was always up to scratch. One suggestion for the hotel is that the leave a book of the menus in the rooms. so we can plan our dining for the week and make bookings. The roof terrace and the American bar had a bit of entertainment but a little more entertainment in the evening would have been nice.

We took advantage of the breakfast boxes twice when we had to leave at 6am for a trip to Sicily and to the airport. There was no extra charge for this and they were fabulous. They container water, juice, yoghurt, 3 pieces of fruits a sandwich and bread-sticks. We really enjoyed our packed meal on the catamaran, it was a great luxury.

We loved knowing that could have a snack in the executive lounge and a dip in the pool before an excellent dinner after a hard days sightseeing. We slept very well each night. The staff and facilities at the Corinthian are worthy of 5 their five stars. I would highly recommend this hotel for people who want a comfortable hassle free holiday.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2010

Dear Guest,

Please accept my very sincere appreciation for having taken the time to describe your experience at our hotel.

I have taken the liberty to share your comments with all the members of the Team.

We all sincerely look ofrward to welcoming you back soon again!

Kind Regards,

1 mi away
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
#8 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay? Share your experiences!