“Absolutely wonderful hotel - cannot wait to return!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay

Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Saint Julian's
ferndown
“Absolutely wonderful hotel - cannot wait to return!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

We felt immediately at home here as the staff were so welcoming and friendly, as well as enjoying the luxurious ambience of the hotel. In fact, we would go so far as to say that this is the best hotel we have ever stayed in, and the service was impeccable throughout our stay. A big thank you to Amanda and Yvonne who looked after us really well. There was a splendid buffet selection at breakfast, and although the rest of our meals were not taken inside the hotel, we took advantage of eating at the Grill 3301 adjacent to the hotel on our last night for which we have submitted a separate review.

St. Julian's is very vibrant and lively, and Malta itself is a wonderful country to visit, and far exceeded our expectations. There is so much interesting history attached to the country, and some of the architecture is absolutely superb, but what really made our holiday was the friendliness and warm welcome we received from the Maltese people everywhere throughout our stay, and we truly cannot wait to return to Malta and most definitely a return visit to the Corinthia St.. Georges Hotel which we thoroughly recommend.

Thank you so much for a wonderful stay at your beautiful hotel, and we look forward to seeing you again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mgmike
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this review, 21 October 2010
Dear Guests,
Please accept my sincere appreciation for having taken the time to share your experience at our hotel.
Your opinion and observations are important to us. I have congratulated both Amanda and Yvonne for making you feel right at home.
We all sincerely look forward to welcoming you back soon again.
M. Sami - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2010

I've only ever stayed in fantastic hotels in Malta before and this one came as a CRASHING disappointment. When I checked in, I was kept waiting for ages and then I was put in a twin room, even though I'd been booked a double. The room was also tiny. Broadband in the room wasn't working and the bathroom was a real squeeze, with a less impressive shower arrangement than I have at home.

An absolute age after I complained, I was shown to another room where there was more space, but an equally pokey bathroom with an equally useless shower arrangement. And all the rooms look "cheap", badly finished and tatty.

It's really just not a nice place to be.

I was especially disappointed considering how expensive it is. It feels more like an average three star hotel than an expensive five star hotel. The staff were polite and friendly but completely unhelpful. The buffet breakfast was OK, but the coffee is awful.

If you're going to be spending this kind of money, look elsewhere. Really.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank GuttBouquet
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write. Please accpet my sincere apology for the inconvenience we have caused you at check in and with the room type you have selected.

Unfortunatelty, due to the fact that the hotel was booked to capacity, our Staff were unable to move you to a more suitable room fast enough.

Your observations and comments about the room are important to us, please rest assured that every effort will be made to avoid such disappointment in the future.

I have discussed the issues you have kindly brought to our attention with the Managers concerned in order for them to take the needed corrective action.

Sydney Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

Spent 10 nights in Room 60, Reception level which over looks St.Georges Bay from Sept 4 to 14. Reception staff, conceirge and restaurant staff all efficient. With sister hotel (Corinthia Marina) there are many restaurant options and only a 10 minute walk to St.Julian's where there are many good restaurants. Public bus service only 100 metres from hotel. Had lovely meal at Terrace Restaurant, Kristos was very friendly and often stopped for a chat when he saw us around the hotel. Only disappointment was the standard of the cleaning of our room. Our room was ready when we arrived, however, it did not look like it had seen a vacuam cleaner when cleaned before our arrival and the same fluff, flower petals etc, remained on the carpet when we checked out. The decorative pillow on our bed had a stain on it that looked like vomit and the tidy in the bathroom was rusted and stained. We drew this items to the attention of housing keeping by the most polite way (leaving a note), but nothing was done. In view of the fact that we were very happy with all other aspects of the hotel, we did not take the matter further. All in all a good location, plenty of food options, 3 pools to choose from, just a pity that there is not a little more attention to the standard of room cleaning.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this review, 10 October 2010
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for sharing your observations with us. Please accept my very sincere apology for the lack of adequate housekeeping in the room you occupied.

I have discussed the matter with our Housekeeper in order for her to take the needed corrective action.
The Team joins me in thanking for choosing our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back soon again.

M. Sami
New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

The hotel is ok, but there are better locations and quality elsewhere for the rate. We only ate the breakfast once, expensive for what it was. We ate on the terrace one night, great location, shame about the food. If you must, H.J. Beans looks ok but do you really want to eat in an American Sports bar in Malta? Rooms were tidy, well appointed and functional.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this review, 2 October 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We value your opinion and use as a tool to improve where needed.
Kind Regards,
Brentwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

.......booked (eventually) Corinthia St. Georges thro Expedia as they came up with the best deal (just) and were a known and reasonably trusted name. Eventually, the booking process was quite acceptable, but that was after 2 false starts that saw me curtail calls to their booking line (call centre) due to the inability of the agents to speak clear and understandable English.
Secured a Junior Suite on Exec floor + flights with Easyjet ex LGW + luggage + car to/from hotel in Malta; 8 nights B&B for around £1400 for my partner & I.
All arrangements went well with/via Expedia, including meeting/greeting at Malta airport, paperwork, car etc. First impressions of hotel v +tive. Escorted straight to Exec Floor desk for check-in, then taken straight to room, all very efficient, polite and friendly. Our room was everything as advertised, well prepared, clean, good decoration, interestingly designed, spacious, great view...... no nasty surprises. Throughout the stay the room was serviced & cleaned routinely to a most acceptable standard, towels changed daily, small chocs left by the "sweet fairy" (who we never caught) every evening, bed turned back, tea/coffee & bathroom accessories all regularly replenished; in summary everything you would expect from a 5* hotel and for an Exec floor suite; but yes, they did what they said on the can.
Breakfast could be taken (with slightly less choice but better coffee), in the Exec lounge, otherwise in the main restaurant on the lower ground floor. I'd read a few indifferent comments about the breakfast on Trip Advisor. I can now understand the slight reservations expressed by some, NOT the real concerns stated by a few others, (but each to their own and how they actually found things). There was something a tad plasticy, slightly cafeteria-ish about the breakfast downstairs. Some members of the younger staff had a (typical) "not bovvered" attitude that regretably (as an employer) we're witnessing increasingly back here.
In general, and the foregoing to one side, all (other) staff were superb, freindly, helpful and to be recommended.
All facilities at the hotel were again as advertised, public areas cleaned regularly including round the pools; good Spa and facilities ( so I was assured by my resident expert), snack/coffee bar near pools good etc etc.
Overall, a very acceptable stay, and we would return. The deal we achieved was decent value; not worth the full advertised price of in excess of £200/night for B&B though.

General statement though; they are routinely advertised as a 5 star establishment. They are not. They are however a very solid 4* hotel, and indeed i would accept probably 4.5 star.

Much has been written in other reports of location, and proximity to the increasingly infamous Paceville area. Paceville is not particularly pleasant from around 9ish onwards most evenings. You don't have to be terribly worldly or well travelled to guess what is going on and on offer or likely to occur in the central area. Happily, one can "navigate" around it or thro it by bus/cab. On the fringes are a number of really quite good restaurants; it's also a necessary journey to get to/frm Sleima & Valetta. The Corinthia is conveniently away and slightly further up the coast from Paceville; a factor that influenced our decision against 2 or 3 other properties. Our advice; do consdier the geography of your prospective hotel before finally booking. If you are 20 yrs old you'll possibly want to ignore our report' should you be late 20's + and/or have children then take note.
Overall, as stated, we had a very pleasant holiday and found (at the price) the Corinthia to be most worthy of recommendation.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this review, 29 September 2010
Dear Guest,

I read the detailed account of your stay with great interest. Thank you for taking the time to write. I am delighted that your stay was enjoyable.

Kindly note that I have shared your comments and observation with the Team. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Aberdeenshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

Please don't get me wrong, the hotel was an ideal base for touring such an amazing Island & is indeed very relaxing. But for me, some of the staff were a bit stand offish & I seemed to be missing the friendly nature that I expected from a five star hotel. I am unsure if it was because I missed the opportunity to tip the concierge or if they were unsure how to treat me because I was travelling alone but I often felt uncomfortable when I needed to ask for some help. One thing above all else that really irritated me was that the name on my room was Mr & Mrs- clearly I was a solo traveller, the booking for the room was only in my name- I felt there was a lack of attention to detail that was disappointing. However, I was impressed with the young lady who I met at breakfast every morning- she took the time to learn my name, where I tended to sit & was so happy & professional that perhaps she deserves the five stars.
One other thing to mention is that if there is a function at the hotel while staying there, expect to be unable to use the outdoor pools, barely be able to walk throught reception & hear the event even if not part of it. While staying there, I saw a birthday party, drinks reception & three weddings & they took over everything! Its a large hotel- surely these events could be accommodated while also allowing guests to make use of the many facilities the hotel boasts?!
My bathroom badly needed redecorating as the floor tiles were cracked & the paint on the ceiling had started to flake off. However the bedroom was spacious, cleaned every day & the bed was quite comfortable. I would stay there again, however I no longer would have such high expectations & I don't think I would go in peak season.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this review, 25 September 2010
Dear Guest,

Please allow me to thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I hope you will accept my very sincere apologies for the lack of attention to details and especially our failure to pamper you and make you feel right at home.

I have dicussed your comments with our Managers in order for them to take the appropirate actions and continue to porvide personalised service to our guests, even when the hotel is busy. I am however very pleased that Marija our Breakfast Hostess did take good care of you.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused by the functions that took place by pool area.

Thank you for allowing us another chance to serve you better and we sincerely look forward to welcoming you soon again.

Your opinion is important to us.

Milton Keynes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2010

Granted we stayed on a Travel Zoo upgrade out of season BUT we our room was just amazing; the service spot on and everything about the hotel just perfect.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager3301, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay, responded to this review, 6 September 2010
Dear Guest,

I would like to express my sincere appreciation to you for taking the time to share your experience. The entire Team and I were pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay and we all look forward to welocming you back soon again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Julian's
Hotel Valentina
#1 of 34 in Saint Julian's
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,734 reviews
Corinthia Palace Hotel & Spa

Been to Corinthia Hotel St. George's Bay? Share your experiences!