I haven't stayed at other hotels in Malta before, so it's hard for me to compare but I have mixed feelings about Intercontinental. The rooms and overall hotel facilities are up to the chain standards. The staff are courteous and helpful, the rooms have everything you would expect in the western hotel, there are two nice swimming pools, lots of restaurants (poolside grill has become my favorite!). The hotel also has a private beach which is nice and is only 3 mins away.
The hotel is located in Paceville, a party zone of Malta, which is trashy in the evenings and I can see how families and older guests may not have liked it. Also, there is construction going on next to the hotel so there is a lot of noise during the day. Luckily our room was facing pool on the 14th floor so we weren't affected by the clubs or construction noise. To get anywhere on the island you need to take various buses and hotel staff have very good maps and bus schedules you can use. I just wish the hotel was somewhere more central, like in Valetta, so commute to major attractions would take less time.
Also, the hotel has some strange policies. One is charging for a spoon...! I asked to borrow a spoon to eat some food I bought and they told me it would cost 4 euros. Yet, there is knife and fork at the room provided with the fruit and water. That didn't make much sense just as the whole 15 seconds policy on opening refrigerator (if it's open for more than that, the room automatically gets billed). We also had an issue with a cleaning lady removing unfinished bottle of wine we had opened a night before. This was a gift from the hotel for my friend's birthday. The nice deed was undone so I called the Guest Relations office and Samantha was great. She apologized and had another bottle along with the small sweets delivered to our room. So, the major highlight was the Guest Relations staff and their attention to detail.
Overall, it was a good stay but I am not sure if I would stay at the Intercontinental next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Malta redefines the meaning of elegance, hospitality and service with its contemporary design and modern ambience providing an exclusive and relaxed atmosphere. Conveniently and centrally located in the prime area of St. George’s Bay, InterContinental Malta is within walking distance of some of the islands finest shopping, entertainment and nightlife venues, also 20 minutes drive from Malta International Airport and 15 minutes drive to Valletta, Malta’s historical capital city. All 481 designer led bedrooms are superbly furnished; having all the comforts expected of a luxury hotel with either twin or king beds, spacious bathrooms with separate bath and shower, private balconies, coffee and tea making facilities and high-speed WIFI access. The luxury suites and presidential suite are located on the hotel’s higher floors, here guests can avail themselves of the Club InterContinental lounge with its stunning views across the island and Mediterranean. The lounge also includes a private reception desk, rooftop pool, meeting room and valet service. The Concierge team is also on hand throughout the day to provide insider knowledge vital for discovering and exploring the Maltese islands. With six restaurants and six bars, the hotel offers varied local and international cuisine at all times of day, both indoor and al fresco. The hotel’s extensive leisure facilities include a lagoon styled outdoor panoramic pool, a heated indoor pool, the Planet Trekkers Kids Club, a state of the art fitness center, a spa with a traditional Turkish hamam, hair salon and 24 hour room service. The revamped and extended InterContinental Beach Club includes an exclusive sandy beach and incorporates an array of amenities including bars, a restaurant, and water-sports facilities. The hotels extensive meeting, exhibition and conference facilities offer guests 6,000 sqm of space in over 30 meeting rooms, including the state of the art InterContinental Arena Meeting Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Hotels.com, IHG, TravelUp and Odigeo so you can book your InterContinental Malta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Malta Hotel Saint Julian`s
- Intercontinental Saint Julians
- Intercontinental Hotel Malta