“Great hotel for visiting Malta”

InterContinental Malta
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 26 May 2012

The hotel is situated in the heart of everything in St. Julian's.Great customer service and nice selection of breakfast options. Reasonably priced for what you are getting. Spacious modern decor in rooms and generally a baby friendly hotel. Only down side is the view from our room looked into the back alley. Can be a little noisy at night as the hotel is situated in the heart of all the night life so not ideal for a family. We took our 2 young children and stayed in a family room and had no probs as the balcony door was sound proof! Good bus links around the island from behind the hotel.Restaurants in the hotel are a little pricey as is the spa!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Traveldr1
Write a ReviewReviews (4,141)

Reviewed 25 May 2012

After a couple of weeks backpacking around morocco it was so lovely to check in to the intercontinental. I had booked the hotel due to a unbeatable rate of 100 euros a night, including club privileges. I was greeted with a beer on arrival and had a very large spacious clean room. My only fault with the room was the shower was a hand held shower ( I like a walk in shower ). I enjoyed a lovely buffet breakfast, afternoon tea, and per dinner drinks each night. The club privileges really save you money on eating out. The indoor pool was lovely (although a warmer temperature would be nice). The outdoor pool was lovely as well. The staff were incredibly courteous and professional. I would recommend them highly.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank John M
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I have just returned from my third trip to this hotel and am as happy as always with the experience i had.
We arrived a little earlier than the check-in time but Jessica on reception was courteous and helpful in ensuring we were looked after at the pool bar Narcis by the truly awesome Virginie until our rooms were ready. Jessica then called us personally on my mobile to inform me the rooms were ready.
We took dinner in the hotel on the majority of the nights as the restaurant team and quality of food are unlike any i have expereinced in a property of this size in a long time.
We were looked after by Rebecca and Adam in Soprano on several occasions and their service style is far beyond what you would expect at a tourist hotel in the Med !
Chef Oz and his team seem to surpass all expectations with their truly awesome buffet the size of which has to be seen to be believed,
We wanted to do an open top bus tour on one day and I remembered one of the sales reps for the bus company Paul is based on the pavement next to the hotels main beach bar just down the road from the hotel. If you go and see him he will sort you out with an excellent deal on the Northern Tour (which is far more interesting than the Southern tour). We took the bus to Medinha and walked round the old town and had lunch before hopping back on and going another few stops to the Golden Bay beach where we swam in the warm sea and then hopped back on for the ride back to the hotel.
Our rooms were large and airy with 2 double beds in each. On one occasion the air conditioning didnt seem to be cooling as expected in one of our rooms. I rang reception and within minutes a man came and altered something on the control and it worked again swiftly. From reporting the problem to rectification no more than 15 minutes had passed. You do not get that kind of service in some of Londons finest hotels !
A real highlight of our holiday was the Narcis beach grill on the upper deck next to the pool.
The team are some of the most hard working I have seen in all my "holidaying career" !
Brendan and Virginie run a slick well oiled operation that ensure that your lunch experience is fantastic.
I had the chance to meet Bradley the new Food & Beverage Director and to congratulate him on the unexpected progress his team have made.
Last year was really good .... This year was flawless !
Special thanks to Jason who seems to work in every department but makes some of the best cocktails by the pool which really made our holiday !
I can not wait to return later in the year for more of those unique Pinna Coladas !

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank HappyTraveller3004
Reviewed 24 May 2012

This is a big hotel, well maintained and pleasantly decorated, the rooms are very nice and the bed was the best sleep I’ve had in a hotel anywhere, the grounds and gardens are awesome with waterfalls and palm trees, the lighting is lovely and inviting, and this makes you want to sit in one of the many comfortable chairs in one of the many nice places around the hotel and enjoy your stay.
Apart from just sitting there are many other things to do, the outdoor terrace and swimming pool is wonderful (but can be exposed to the wind), the indoor pool sauna and steam room is a must visit (even on a hot day) and the gym is well equipped and as good as any private gym I’ve been in (but much better than other hotel gyms) the private beach although pleasant the beds where shabby and in need of replacement, the beach restaurant and beach bar make up for that though.
The food was good, buffet breakfast and dinner, however there are alternative restaurants which looked good (but I could not eat that amount of food in a day, so I did not eat in them) the buffet evening meal the cold buffet was very nice, but some of the hot buffet food quality I found disappointing for the cost
But apart from all that luxury the thing that impressed me the most was the pleasant friendly staff, from the pool staff to the reception desk from the waiting staff to the chefs the customer service was flawless and I think if this team work did not exist the hotel for all its luxury would not be the same, so thank you to the staff at the intercontinental you do a very good job.
The location of the Hotel needs to be considered, some may want the Paceville entertainment, however I did not, but once again the staff do all they can to ensure it does not spoil your stay, and if you did not step outside the hotel at night you would not know it was there, and as Paceville has developed very quickly over the last few years it is completely out of the hotels control, and therefore it would be unfair to criticise them for this.
Buses are easy very cheap (2.60 euros a day pass) very regular (every 12min) till late at night (last bus at 0.05 on Sunday) and with easy access by the back of the hotel, this made touring the island easy. Alternatively taxis are always parked outside the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2012

we just came back from malta-and all i have to say
great great vacation !!! (may15-19)
since the minute we contacted the hotel (in advance)requested high floor room as it was my husband birthday- Ms. Caroline from the guest relation Dept answered us immediately-that a bottle of wine and small chocolates will be awaiting in our room .
when we arrived to the hotel - her colleague Ms. cornelia was waiting for us and we felt so special!!!
the rooms are great - the food is very good especially their fish restaurant which belongs to the hotel and located 5 min on the beach/ also there we had very good food with excellent service!!! (their restaurant's manager is a pro-with a lot of knowledge and great service!!)
all the hotel's employ's were speaking very good english- great service and made our stay unforgettable!!!
the hotel located 2 min from all the night life- bars-pubs and discos- also nice mall for shopping across the street-and all kind of restaurants in this area also 2 min from the day tours.

thanks intercontinental!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HADAS D
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Modern, spacious hotel with good selection of restaurants and very helpful and welcoming staff. Well positioned for sightseeing and close to local amenities in a lively resort.

Food excellent in this hotel and in the other surrounding hotels - portions massive though!

We particularly enjoyed the spa treatments and the 15th floor VIP lounge; honeymoon package included room upgrade, sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.

We would encourage travellers to venture outside the St Julian's resort to take in the island's many historic and achingly beautiful sights such as The Grand Harbour in Valletta, the Co-Cathedral of St John with exquisite artworks and the village of Mellieha.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Katroz
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We stayed at the hotel a couple of days in April. I had booked Deluxe Room at the hotel's website directly. According to the room description Deluxe Room means that a guest has acces to the executive lounge with complimentary breakfast, drinks and snacks. On check-in the receptions assigned me to a standard room. When I asked about lounge, she was surprised and tried to convince me that this is only for Club Rooms guests ( which actually does not exist at this hotel). I had to remove my laptop to show her my booking and the hotel website- she still looked surprised. So, I hade no choice ( 10.00 pm ) and accepted standard room. She promised, he would speak to manager and let me know what about the lounge later on. And she did, she called my room and informed that "his time a manager made an exception and I have lounge acces and complimentary breakfast" eventually. I fell humiliated, I use to have what I paid - not to accept a favor the hotel's manager is doing.
Apart of that the quality of the room was quite good except the balcony which was almost completely ruined.
So, my opinion is positive but be careful and don't let to be misleaded.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2 mi away
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#5 of 15 in Valletta

Been to InterContinental Malta? Share your experiences!