Mr Reaves and I just returned today from our short trip to Malta. It was wonderful, and a big reason was the InterContinental Malta. Normally, MrReaves and I prefer to stay somewhere cheap so that we can spend out money on excursions and such, but I got a great price on this one so we (meaning I) took advantage. The staff was great and was always quick with an answer to any questions that we had.
The location is pretty great with a couple of caveats. First, there is construction everywhere in the St. Julian's area, and all through the day, it is a barrage of equipment and jackhammers and such. Good thing for us that we weren't really there during working hours, and we did not hear any noise at night since we were on the 14th floor. Second, it is located in close proximity to a street that is nothing but bars and clubs, and it thumps into the wee hours. My clubbing days are behind me for the most part, but I can safely say that this would make some folks uncomfortable to say the least. Nobody got rowdy or out of hand, but the crowds and the noise would be enough to give anyone a panic attack. Again, we never heard any of the noise at night because it is all directed into that street.
The hotel is located just up the street from St. Julian's bay in Paceville. There is a large shopping complex just across the street with a bowling center and a large movie theater next door (the movies are in OV, so English speakers, rejoice!). There are a multitude of restaurants within walking distance with many types of cuisines and price points. If you just can't help it, the Hard Rock is directly across the street in the mall and a Burger King is up the hill past the clubs/bars.
The hotel itself is huge. The check in was super quick, and we were given room keys and towel cards to be traded in either of the pools on site or at the beach down the street. We booked a double with twin beds, and we were upgraded to a room with two double beds (thanks!). The beds were super comfortable with a number of pillows. We had a balcony, and the bathroom was pretty swank with a giant tub and free standing shower. There is free WiFi throughout and the TV has a USB hub if you need to charge any devices. This came in mighty handy.
Breakfast was not included, but this hotel had the second best breakfast we've ever had in Europe (second only to a smörgåsbord in Stockholm). The food was wonderful and constantly refreshed. Great way to start a day of touring the island.
Our only problem came at check out. I was handed a bill for quite a bit more than I was expecting. I looked at it, and instead of being charged our original rate, we were being charged 60Euro more per night due to the upgrade that we didn't ask for. I brought it to the attention of the front desk clerk who took my confirmation from the website that we used and quickly fixed the error. He said that we were also being charged twice for breakfast, which at 10Euro per day/person, came to quite a bit extra. I was given a reprinted bill for the correct amount. Errors happen, but as always - with any hotel - make sure you have your confirmation with prices and double check the final bill.
All in all, we had a fantastic experience at the Intercontinental, and we would totally stay here again. We've already recommended this hotel to friends who are planning a trip to Malta in the near future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Malta redefines the meaning of elegance, hospitality and service with its contemporary design and modern ambience providing an exclusive and relaxed atmosphere. Conveniently and centrally located in the prime area of St. George’s Bay, InterContinental Malta is within walking distance of some of the islands finest shopping, entertainment and nightlife venues, also 20 minutes drive from Malta International Airport and 15 minutes drive to Valletta, Malta’s historical capital city. All 481 designer led bedrooms are superbly furnished; having all the comforts expected of a luxury hotel with either twin or king beds, spacious bathrooms with separate bath and shower, private balconies, coffee and tea making facilities and high-speed WIFI access. The luxury suites and presidential suite are located on the hotel’s higher floors, here guests can avail themselves of the Club InterContinental lounge with its stunning views across the island and Mediterranean. The lounge also includes a private reception desk, rooftop pool, meeting room and valet service. The Concierge team is also on hand throughout the day to provide insider knowledge vital for discovering and exploring the Maltese islands. With six restaurants and six bars, the hotel offers varied local and international cuisine at all times of day, both indoor and al fresco. The hotel’s extensive leisure facilities include a lagoon styled outdoor panoramic pool, a heated indoor pool, the Planet Trekkers Kids Club, a state of the art fitness center, a spa with a traditional Turkish hamam, hair salon and 24 hour room service. The revamped and extended InterContinental Beach Club includes an exclusive sandy beach and incorporates an array of amenities including bars, a restaurant, and water-sports facilities. The hotels extensive meeting, exhibition and conference facilities offer guests 6,000 sqm of space in over 30 meeting rooms, including the state of the art InterContinental Arena Meeting Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Jet2Holidays , Travel Republic (UK), IHG, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your InterContinental Malta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Malta Hotel Saint Julian`s
- Intercontinental Saint Julians
- Intercontinental Hotel Malta