“Excellent staff make your stay”

InterContinental Malta
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Excellent place to stay for business traveller. Guest relationship manager and other staff take perfectly care of all needs to make it a very convenient stay. I had a great room ... well ... "the" room ... Unfortunately not long enough ... but I will be back soon ;-)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank MyDell

Reviewed 1 June 2012

to dear Giuseppe Vincelli

please note :

as i decided to make my next vacation in malta i browsed tripadviser's top listed hotel to find out what are the best hotels in Malta. this hotel came 4th.

i made a habit of reading some of the best and worst reviews to see what are the strong/weak points of each hotel.

i read the best reviews. yes impressive. but as i read the worst reviews i came to realize that when your management/customer relationship answers they never bother to address the problem at hand. all answers can be categorized as general soothing voices and general apologizes that actually means nothing.

what made me write this review is your answer for hawkeyeray on the October 20, 2011

i was astounded by the claim they had gotten a complimentary dinner and been demanded to pay for it. worse - they have been locked out of their rooms. worse - they had a bad guest relations manager Jennifer (real name ?) abuse them some more.

i read your replay to this 3 times. each time i grew more amused and abused by your reaction.
you are totally indifferent to the customer abusing problem and rave on and on about room status allocation. everyone who traveled a bit in hotels knows that there is no chance in hell you will upgrade a customer to a better room if he is not paying for it and NOT of hotel's management good will to free upgrade. is seems clear case of hotel error in booking.

what is far worse you actually accuse the customer, argue with her and do not sincerely apologize.

what did happen there that you felt the need to LOCK THEM OUT OF THEIR ROOMS ???
and why then lie about it ? not apologize ? a shamful situation like this should have never made it to the tripadviser site.

maybe you have forgotten but - trip adviser is read by CUSTOMERS who would like to book rooms in a DECENT hotel.

good day to you mr "general manager" Giuseppe Vincelli.

p.s. no.. i will not book with your hotel at this time.

dont call me and i will (shure as hell) not CALL YOU...

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank amotz
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Mr Reaves and I just returned today from our short trip to Malta. It was wonderful, and a big reason was the InterContinental Malta. Normally, MrReaves and I prefer to stay somewhere cheap so that we can spend out money on excursions and such, but I got a great price on this one so we (meaning I) took advantage. The staff was great and was always quick with an answer to any questions that we had.

The location is pretty great with a couple of caveats. First, there is construction everywhere in the St. Julian's area, and all through the day, it is a barrage of equipment and jackhammers and such. Good thing for us that we weren't really there during working hours, and we did not hear any noise at night since we were on the 14th floor. Second, it is located in close proximity to a street that is nothing but bars and clubs, and it thumps into the wee hours. My clubbing days are behind me for the most part, but I can safely say that this would make some folks uncomfortable to say the least. Nobody got rowdy or out of hand, but the crowds and the noise would be enough to give anyone a panic attack. Again, we never heard any of the noise at night because it is all directed into that street.

The hotel is located just up the street from St. Julian's bay in Paceville. There is a large shopping complex just across the street with a bowling center and a large movie theater next door (the movies are in OV, so English speakers, rejoice!). There are a multitude of restaurants within walking distance with many types of cuisines and price points. If you just can't help it, the Hard Rock is directly across the street in the mall and a Burger King is up the hill past the clubs/bars.

The hotel itself is huge. The check in was super quick, and we were given room keys and towel cards to be traded in either of the pools on site or at the beach down the street. We booked a double with twin beds, and we were upgraded to a room with two double beds (thanks!). The beds were super comfortable with a number of pillows. We had a balcony, and the bathroom was pretty swank with a giant tub and free standing shower. There is free WiFi throughout and the TV has a USB hub if you need to charge any devices. This came in mighty handy.

Breakfast was not included, but this hotel had the second best breakfast we've ever had in Europe (second only to a smörgåsbord in Stockholm). The food was wonderful and constantly refreshed. Great way to start a day of touring the island.

Our only problem came at check out. I was handed a bill for quite a bit more than I was expecting. I looked at it, and instead of being charged our original rate, we were being charged 60Euro more per night due to the upgrade that we didn't ask for. I brought it to the attention of the front desk clerk who took my confirmation from the website that we used and quickly fixed the error. He said that we were also being charged twice for breakfast, which at 10Euro per day/person, came to quite a bit extra. I was given a reprinted bill for the correct amount. Errors happen, but as always - with any hotel - make sure you have your confirmation with prices and double check the final bill.

All in all, we had a fantastic experience at the Intercontinental, and we would totally stay here again. We've already recommended this hotel to friends who are planning a trip to Malta in the near future.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank laura_belle35758
Reviewed 26 May 2012

The hotel is situated in the heart of everything in St. Julian's.Great customer service and nice selection of breakfast options. Reasonably priced for what you are getting. Spacious modern decor in rooms and generally a baby friendly hotel. Only down side is the view from our room looked into the back alley. Can be a little noisy at night as the hotel is situated in the heart of all the night life so not ideal for a family. We took our 2 young children and stayed in a family room and had no probs as the balcony door was sound proof! Good bus links around the island from behind the hotel.Restaurants in the hotel are a little pricey as is the spa!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Traveldr1
Reviewed 25 May 2012

After a couple of weeks backpacking around morocco it was so lovely to check in to the intercontinental. I had booked the hotel due to a unbeatable rate of 100 euros a night, including club privileges. I was greeted with a beer on arrival and had a very large spacious clean room. My only fault with the room was the shower was a hand held shower ( I like a walk in shower ). I enjoyed a lovely buffet breakfast, afternoon tea, and per dinner drinks each night. The club privileges really save you money on eating out. The indoor pool was lovely (although a warmer temperature would be nice). The outdoor pool was lovely as well. The staff were incredibly courteous and professional. I would recommend them highly.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank John M
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I have just returned from my third trip to this hotel and am as happy as always with the experience i had.
We arrived a little earlier than the check-in time but Jessica on reception was courteous and helpful in ensuring we were looked after at the pool bar Narcis by the truly awesome Virginie until our rooms were ready. Jessica then called us personally on my mobile to inform me the rooms were ready.
We took dinner in the hotel on the majority of the nights as the restaurant team and quality of food are unlike any i have expereinced in a property of this size in a long time.
We were looked after by Rebecca and Adam in Soprano on several occasions and their service style is far beyond what you would expect at a tourist hotel in the Med !
Chef Oz and his team seem to surpass all expectations with their truly awesome buffet the size of which has to be seen to be believed,
We wanted to do an open top bus tour on one day and I remembered one of the sales reps for the bus company Paul is based on the pavement next to the hotels main beach bar just down the road from the hotel. If you go and see him he will sort you out with an excellent deal on the Northern Tour (which is far more interesting than the Southern tour). We took the bus to Medinha and walked round the old town and had lunch before hopping back on and going another few stops to the Golden Bay beach where we swam in the warm sea and then hopped back on for the ride back to the hotel.
Our rooms were large and airy with 2 double beds in each. On one occasion the air conditioning didnt seem to be cooling as expected in one of our rooms. I rang reception and within minutes a man came and altered something on the control and it worked again swiftly. From reporting the problem to rectification no more than 15 minutes had passed. You do not get that kind of service in some of Londons finest hotels !
A real highlight of our holiday was the Narcis beach grill on the upper deck next to the pool.
The team are some of the most hard working I have seen in all my "holidaying career" !
Brendan and Virginie run a slick well oiled operation that ensure that your lunch experience is fantastic.
I had the chance to meet Bradley the new Food & Beverage Director and to congratulate him on the unexpected progress his team have made.
Last year was really good .... This year was flawless !
Special thanks to Jason who seems to work in every department but makes some of the best cocktails by the pool which really made our holiday !
I can not wait to return later in the year for more of those unique Pinna Coladas !

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank HappyTraveller3004
Reviewed 24 May 2012

This is a big hotel, well maintained and pleasantly decorated, the rooms are very nice and the bed was the best sleep I’ve had in a hotel anywhere, the grounds and gardens are awesome with waterfalls and palm trees, the lighting is lovely and inviting, and this makes you want to sit in one of the many comfortable chairs in one of the many nice places around the hotel and enjoy your stay.
Apart from just sitting there are many other things to do, the outdoor terrace and swimming pool is wonderful (but can be exposed to the wind), the indoor pool sauna and steam room is a must visit (even on a hot day) and the gym is well equipped and as good as any private gym I’ve been in (but much better than other hotel gyms) the private beach although pleasant the beds where shabby and in need of replacement, the beach restaurant and beach bar make up for that though.
The food was good, buffet breakfast and dinner, however there are alternative restaurants which looked good (but I could not eat that amount of food in a day, so I did not eat in them) the buffet evening meal the cold buffet was very nice, but some of the hot buffet food quality I found disappointing for the cost
But apart from all that luxury the thing that impressed me the most was the pleasant friendly staff, from the pool staff to the reception desk from the waiting staff to the chefs the customer service was flawless and I think if this team work did not exist the hotel for all its luxury would not be the same, so thank you to the staff at the intercontinental you do a very good job.
The location of the Hotel needs to be considered, some may want the Paceville entertainment, however I did not, but once again the staff do all they can to ensure it does not spoil your stay, and if you did not step outside the hotel at night you would not know it was there, and as Paceville has developed very quickly over the last few years it is completely out of the hotels control, and therefore it would be unfair to criticise them for this.
Buses are easy very cheap (2.60 euros a day pass) very regular (every 12min) till late at night (last bus at 0.05 on Sunday) and with easy access by the back of the hotel, this made touring the island easy. Alternatively taxis are always parked outside the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 28 in Sliema
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#5 of 15 in Valletta

Been to InterContinental Malta? Share your experiences!