“A great holiday for taking teenagers”

InterContinental Malta
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 14 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at the IC Malta for the last 2 years in 2011 and 2010 and took our 18 year old daughter and friend. The hotel is an oasis of quiet and calm and although the bars and clubs were close by you are not disturbed by any of this.

Check-in was quick and on mentioning it was our return visit last year both our rooms were upgraded free of charge. The rooftop pool is large and clean with towels provided. The private beach is just a couple of minutes walk away with plenty of sun beds.

We especially enjoyed breakfast - there is a huge choice - certainly enough to keep you happy for 2 weeks and the restaurant is light and airy. Our daughter loved her room and especially the bathroom with huge mirrors. The gym is large with plenty of equipment and the spa was worth a visit if a little on the expensive side.

Car hire was easy to arrange with a car park conveniently located next to the hotel where you can leave the car overnight. There is also a cinema next to the hotel and such a wide variety lots of bars and restaurants nearby. Malta has such a lot to offer and we shall certainly be returning.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank lorayne_hagan

Reviewed 13 June 2012

We stayed here as an autumn break, being part of the Priority Club Rewards group. The hotel is located is a noisy and insalubrious part of Malta. The hotel is massive, but offers a wealth of facilities with a great outdoor pool for the kids when the sun shines, and an indoor one at the Spa when it doesn't.
There are a late array of restaurants, although this didn't work for us as we were travelling with an 8 and 3 year old and the restaurants didn't open until 7 to 7.30, amking meal times an issue. Across the road though is a mall with a number of great places to eat, including a Hard Rock, that are open all day.
Buses operate locally into salima and other attractions are available locally. Beware of the aquatic centre with the dolphins who charge top dollar even when half of the park is closed!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris L
Reviewed 13 June 2012 via mobile

We were put in the IC Malta following a booking error..initially we were disappointed as the area didn't have the peaceful+classy vibe of Balluta Bay where our original hotel (Le Meridien) was located. However, once inside the hotel we have had no complaints-it's calm, quiet, clean and friendly; the staff have been nothing but helpful and polite and we even received a surprise bottle of bubbles and some treats once they knew we were newlyweds-lovely! :) The room was clean and modern; the cleaners visited daily and did a great job. Good breakfast. Really nice pool area with lots of space. Only downside is surrounding area is undergoing lots of development and is pretty noisy at times but hasn't been a big problem and isn't the IC's fault! More a good 4star than a genuine 5 but would still recommend :)

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Booked this hotel on the strength of many positive comments on Tripadvisor and very glad I did. The IC Malta is a well run, comfortable and well equipped hotel on this sunny and friendly island. We stayed in a Junior Suite which was only a little (12 euros) more expensive than a Club room and was a lovely base for our holiday - the room, the balcony and the bathroom were all furnished to a high standard and the daily maid service was of a high standard. Mentioned to the staff that it was our 30th anniversary and found a bottle of sparkling wine, some chocolates and a very nice note in our room. I would certainly recommend paying a little more and booking a club room as it gives access to the Club lounge which is a really nice place to spend some time - good breakfast, high tea and wide selection of pre dinner drinks and snacks overlooking the Med, certainly put a smile on our faces. Couple this with free internet access (wifi and terminals available), loads of books to borrow, and friendly and helpful service at every turn and you have a winning combination. Elsewhere in the hotel we enjoyed using the pool and sundeck areas which thanks to a brand new delivery of sunbeds are now very well equipped and, away from the immediate surrounds of the pool itself, have plenty of room available. As others have mentioned the hotel is bang in the middle of the busy Paceville district with its string of bars and clubs but this is noisy and cheerful and only really crowded after 11 and once you pass through the hotel doors it is like entering a different world. I would recommend walking down towards Spinola Bay (10 mins easy stroll) in the evening, there are a host of nice bars and restaurants in the area.

Well recommended, if you visit Malta would be an excellent choice.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2012

This is rated as a 5star and as it is part of a larger chain I was expecting a proper 5star hotel but unfortunately this wasnt the case.

Our room wasnt cleaned the entire stay (7days) despite requesting this daily, the room smelt of damp, bathroom products werent replenished (including toilet paper).

The majority of reception staff werent polite (there were a couple who were friendly and polite) and would huff and puff if a request was made.

After a day by the pool we would visit the pool bar area but often felt this was tense as one of the bar managers would berate the staff (loudly) in front of guests which resulted in us not visting after a couple of occasions, this coupled with the very slow and poor table service didnt provide the relaxing experience we had hoped for.

Upon arrival check in was quick but on the first evening after requesting recommendations for nice restaurants we were only directed to the hotels off-site beach bar/restaurant which was disappointing and felt we should have been offered a range of restaurants around the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I booked this on the strength of the fact that I have stayed in several Intercontinentals and always enjoyed a classy 5 star experience.

The IC in St Julians must be in one of the most unfortunate spots on the island. I expected a few bars (read reviews on here) but nothing could have prepared us for the thumping clubbing atmosphere of Paceville. IC is literally right on the corner of the worst part of it all and a flight of steep steps to the right of the hotel lead up to an area I might love if I were 17... but I'm not. Also there is some serious heavy building going on right next door to the hotel and I was woken up before 8 am by the deep vibrations of a jackhammer which sounded like it was coming from right under my bed. To get to the beach you have to negotiate around the trucks and concrete mixers. Its not safe. There is no pavement. The area is dusty and the noise is a cacophony of heavy machinery all day - it is as far from a relaxing sunny island atmosphere you could find,

Of course all that is just unfortunate and not the fault of the hotel. The hotel itself is a little tired. Very 80's reception and lobby bar. Check in was reasonably quick and I was given a room on the 5th floor. Reception is actually on the 3rd floor so if you want a quiet time do try to book a room on a higher floor.

Room - large and spacious. Very comfortable bed and efficient aircon. Well laid out and everything works. Could do with a new carpet and new furniture on the balcony. My balcony featured the grubbiest chairs I have ever seen. I didn't sit on them. It also featured a cigarette end which was there on day one and still there the day I left. Hmmm. Having said that the room was generally clean. Bathroom fine. I didn't have any body lotion. A friend in another room didn't have any conditioner. Another friend said she only got 1 shower gel during her 5 night stay (mine was replenished daily). Unfortunately as I tried to sleep on the first night it became apparent that I was in a smoking room - despite having asked specifically for a non-smoking. There was an ingrained smell of smoke and generally a lack of freshness prevailed.

Breakfast - most unwelcoming setting. All indoors and stuffy and way too busy. Coffee was hot brown water most days. That said there was a fair choice of food and lovely bread etc. Fruit a bit limited in scope. Lack of imagination and lack of class and not somewhere I would linger (maybe that is the intention). Definitely more a low brow 3 star.

Gym - huge and very very hot. Real "blokes" gym - which is fine but lack of towels on the front desk (you had to get them from the indoor pool) and lack of water fountain seemed rather odd omissions for a place like this. The gym does have local members so not exclusively for hotel guests. I was impressed by the range of equipment but not by the atmosphere. On one day I walked in at 5.30pm and was told it shuts at 6pm (it was Sunday). That was not what I had been told at reception.

Pool - everyone tries to cram around the actual pool area but there are 2 huge terraces adjacent which are much quieter. However the first day guests were running around trying to find beds with backs which worked - most were broken. I only went to the pool once as it was too busy and too many children. No atmosphere and could be anywhere in the world. The beds were all replaced on our last day and the area does now look a bit smarter.

Pool bar/restaurant. Awful awful service. Grubby tables and inefficient service. After waiting 10 mins for a menu I went to get them myself. Then 15 mins with no service so I went up to the bar with our order myself. At the end we didn't even get the bill so we went up to them instead. Naturally we didn't leave a tip. Would not consider this a good offering. And I can't understand why it gets any good reviews here at all.

Beach. Small but fine. Beds ok and we always got a nice spot. The music is quite poppy and loud but that was fine really. Only downside is having to negotiate the building works to get to the beach.

Paranga restaurant. This overlooks the beach so a short walk from hotel. OH the awful service continues... really really bad. My friend asked for a campari on ice and specifically NO orange. It came with a slice of orange so she called the waitress over and explained she had asked for no orange. The girl started fishing about in the drink to take it out with her fingers. Amaziing!! Eventually we got our drinks. I ordered scampi which turned out to be king prawns (with practically no meat on them) whilst a friend ordered a dish featuring king prawns which turned out to be small fresh water prawns. AND they didn't bring her a finger bowl until she complained. Then we waited a good 15 mins for the table to be cleared. At this point the manager apologised and offered us a free dessert. I felt sorry for him as he appeared to be the only one who knew what he was doing. This is a real shame as the setting is lovely overlooking the bay.

I was not sorry to leave the IC. It is ok and does what a hotel should do - just not in a particularly luxurious or classy way. I felt very unspecial and came home rather disappointed. It needs some upgrading and a serious rethink of what niche it is trying to fill.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank OverworkedUnderpaid
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Hotel is nice and clean. Breakfast was not good. Rooms are averaged. Located near the center.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
#1 of 28 in Sliema
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#5 of 15 in Valletta

Been to InterContinental Malta? Share your experiences!