“Marvellous service”

InterContinental Malta
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 26 June 2012

From the welcome to the goodbye, the service I received from the Club room service throughout my 5 night stay was exceptional. The room and beds are super comfortable and I can endorse the comments from Jettsetter that the Club room is superb. The staff always went out of their way to ensure that all I wanted was attended to. Little things like the lengths they went to to find a person, staying in the hotel, whose name I had got wrong, indicates the dedication and professionism of their staff. The Paranga Restaurant is a lovely site in which to while away lunch or enjoy the romantic atmosphere of it's waters edge location in the evening. A truly lovely stay,

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Simon W
There are newer reviews for InterContinental Malta

Reviewed 25 June 2012

I almost cancelled our stay at this Hotel because of very mixed reviews !!!
They are off-putting, to say the least and I do accept that a Baby-accident could happen in the pool, bur for those of us who travel extensively, this Intercontinental Hotel has a staff proud of their achievements and going the 'extra mileS' !!! We booked a week in a Terraced Suite as part of the Club Lounge 'system'. Fabulous food, smiling faces of staff, comfort and QUIET all night long. It may be in 'Paceville', but Paceville does NOT impact inside the Hotel.
We see many Hotels on our travels. This one is near to a building site but WE never noticed. We did not need an upgrade ( which says a lot about the the attitude of some 'wingers' !!!
Book the best with confidence and enjoy the benefits..

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hotelinspector72
Reviewed 23 June 2012

We stayed in this hotel for our first visit to Malta and really didn’t know what to expect. We were so impressed by the staff that it felt like we were leaving old friends behind when we left. A special mention must be made of Emmanuel at the Soprano/ Harruba restaurant who was a joy to see and he really did contribute to our enjoyment and our overall impression of the hotel. I am still trying to find Vermentino Zibibbo in the UK ( its a great white wine).Also I must mention the staff at the Sports bar who were also very friendly and made the greatest Mojitos I’ve had for a long time. We only regret missing the opportunity of meeting with the general manager of the hotel to express our opinion on what a great job he is doing. The staff at the Paranga must also get a mention for their great service and food.
If travelling with a baby or child make use of the play centre and the babysitting service the staff there are also very professional and it was very difficult to tear our little boy from them as he obviously was having so much fun with them there.
All in all we would rate this hotel as one of the best hotels we have stayed in and that is by no means a easy accolade to achieve as we choose our hotels very carefully. Last year we stayed at the Majestic in Cannes and although an exceptional hotel upon leaving we never felt the need to express our gratitude for a great time as we did with the Intercontinental in Malta.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ray B
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Stayed for 6 nights in a Room on 13th Floor with Club Access- Wow! Was told at time of booking included continental breakfast - the breakfast was great bacon eggs sausages toast of all different breads cold meats cheeses fruit salmon fantastic. Then all day access to soft drinks and tea and coffee and then afternoon canapes and alcoholic drinks beer wine and spirits. Fantastic value. The free WIFI was a great plus too. Room was clean and modern although we had a balcony that overlooked a side street was fine. Fantastic service from the doormen and porters/bellhops. My only gripe would be that the shower was terrible like having water sprinkled on you.The location of this hotel may put some people off as it is in Paceville which is primarily a club/bar district but was fine for us no problems at all . Great Pool and gym . All in all a great holiday and would def recommend this hotel to any one of any age with or without family.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jettsetter
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I regularly stay in this chain of hotels for business and holidays and is one I would always choose first over any other because of the usual quality and standard.

This trip was a mixture of both and I booked it months ago specifically asking for a balcony room. If you do the same, then specifically ask for one at the rear of the hotel (there are no seaviews of any note) as we were given a narrow balcony (the width of a small chair) overlooking the main road. Technically a balcony, but not one you would want to use. The hotel was fully booked and we couldn't even upgrade to a Club room unless it was half way through the trip, by then we were so hacked off with everything else we couldn't be bothered.

They are knocking a building down next door and all you can hear are diggers, lorries moving rubble and see 3 cranes moving continuously - they don't even seem to have a siesta so it's constant. Forget a relaxing lunch by the pool (unless you want to get dressed and go out of the hotel, that's really the only option) because the noise is deafening.

We had 7 of the most uncomfortable/sleepless nights due to a very hard bed (some would like this I guess) and a poorly fitting bottom sheet. In fact it didn't fit at all, and we had to get up several times in the night to straighten it out. We spoke to housekeeping and they said that was all there was.

Thankfully we couldn't hear the noise outside as the double glazing was good and the airconditioning worked fine so didn't need doors open.

But the worst was to come. On the 5th day of our trip I entered the pool for a swim after lunch to see what can only be described as "the contents of a babies nappy" at the bottom of the pool! Either I was the only one to notice it, or everyone was being very polite, so I went to report it to the Manager at the restaurant. He took me over to the guy looking after the towels who said he knew about it! So I was horrified to discover that they had made no attempt to empty the pool of people (or water!) and there were still children playing in the immediate area of it. I pointed out that this was extremely hazardous and they should clear the pool - which they eventually did about half an hour later. I said I had noticed babies in the pool with no nappies on at all and he said "we know, they were doing that last year as well, throwing the babies in the pool to clean them". Surely they should have some sort of "nappy wearing" policy at the very least!

They then went and got the hose used for cleaning the pool and remove it and everyone was allowed back in. Needless to say, we did not.

The next day I thought they would most likely have taken steps to clean the water properly and went for an early swim, only to see some "content" was still left at the bottom of the pool by one of the filters. I immediately went and found another member of staff and she said she would look into it. At no point did anyone come back and reassure me, nor did I see anyone go to check it out.

I didn't go back in the pool for the rest of the trip choosing to shower rather than swim.

Other than all this we had a pleasant stay in Malta generally as have friends over there and will go back again - but will categorically NEVER stay in this hotel again. I would advise you check out the Hilton, or Westin if you want to be near the action in Paceville, or the Radisson if you don't mind things a bit quieter.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ItchyFeetPortsmouth
Reviewed 21 June 2012

The hotel whilst not amazing on the outside has everything you’d expect from an upper 4-star to 5-star hotel on the inside.
We booked a deluxe double room at a rate of 99Euros per night including breakfast, which was good value for me, considering it was during the Easter holidays. The rooms are spacious with relatively large ensuite facilities – we had both a bath and separate shower cubicle. The room also had a balcony which overlooked in to the courtyard in the middle of the hotel.

We used the indoor swimming pool once and it was ok. There was a sauna but no steam room or Jacuzzi. There were jets in the swimming pool however. There is a gym which is on par with health clubs, it was absolutely huge. There is another pool on the rooftop which is nice.

Breakfast was excellent, definitely amongst the best I have had. They refer to it as an ‘American’ breakfast, however don’t worry it is your proper ‘Full English’ and all the usual trimmings you’d expect in a 5 star hotel breakfast buffet. We were given a complimentary glass of champagne at our first breakfast since we were new guests, which was a nice touch.

In terms of location, St Julians is a lively place, with plenty of night life and what seems ideal for a hen/stag type holiday. However if that’s not what your looking for, then don’t let it put you off either. The hotel is central, just opposite is a shopping plaza, bowling alley, and cinema next door so there is plenty to do in between excursions etc. No time to get bored. There are bars and restaurants all in close vicinity, and also a famous Casino perched on the coast.

We had dinner at the hotel twice, once in the contemporary Indo/Asian restaurant and once at the much talked about fish restaurant at the Paranga Beach club down the road. Both were ok, however there are better, authentic maltese resturants in local vicinity. My only negative experience came at the Paranga Beach club restaurant where the head waiter basically tried to rip me off. Be careful if like us you decide to go for catch of the day. He basically said he could not make any less than 1.4kg of fresh seabass which came to 100 Euros (just for the fish). I questioned him on how he expected the two of us to eat all that, and he just stared at me glumly. They don’t seem to cater to portions just for 2 people which seems absurd. A bit annoyed with his ridiculous stance, I told him to forget the fresh fish and we opted to eat out of the normal menu.

Back to the positives, we booked all our excursions through the hotel and they were very reasonable, provided no fuss and good value. We did the half day tour to Valleta, half day tour to Medina, and a full day combi tour of Gozo, which involved a jeep safari and sailing trip. I recommend them all – the Gozo combi tour is an absolute must! They were a driver short and I got offered the chance to drive one of these jeeps around the island with my wife and other tourists in tandem – quite an unforgettable experience!

We were in Malta for 5 nights which was the perfect length of time to relax and do the excursions, and for us the Hotel was fantastic in terms of comfort, service and location.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sab187
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Spent a week here in may very expensive and not worth the money balcony was looking onto a building site which was very noisy tiles were cracked in the room and shower always leaked won't be back

• Stayed: May 2012
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Been to InterContinental Malta? Share your experiences!