“Superb”

InterContinental Malta
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 28 June 2012

The hotel was superb, busy location better for the young but a great hotel. The room service was carried out twice a day with chocolates left on the bed by the time we arrived back from a long day out.
The breakfast was great with a vast choice to pick from. The facilities were great and also a massive gym/keep fit area, almost taking up a whole floor of the hotel.
Every one was very helpful, I would definatly stay again. Didn`t want to come home it was that good.
My only gripe was the checking in we arrived around 11ish and were told our room was not available untill 3ish. They did offer the facilities of the hotel but not a lot you can do when not familiar with them when arrived. Reccomend Highly. Shame I had to come home. Very posh and kept well clean and made very welcome.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 8 nights in June, 2012. We booked a terrace suite and were assigned one on the 13th floor. The room consisted of a large front room opening up to 2 terraces with a half bath and a bedroom with a full bath attached as well as its own terrace. Yes, that's right, we had three terraces.

The main terrace was large, with lounge chairs and a table and chairs. It overlooked the pool and the Saint Paul's Bay (I think that's what it was called). Also within view was all the cheesy "party" accoutrements that are standard with this area of Saint Julian's.

We didn't have any problems with noise during the night so long as we kept the doors to the terraces closed. The building next to the hotel has a huge number of LOUD fans on the roof which never stop running and sort of ruin any sort of idea one would have of sitting on the terrace and enjoying some peace. But the noise doesn't really ruin the experience.

The restaurants inside the hotel were surprisingly good, but we mostly ate outside the hotel. We had a meal at the high end Paranga and, while the experience was overall very nice, the whole thing was sort of "off". We asked about portion sizes and didn't get what we believe to be realistic answers. The servings were big, and we had way too much food. The waiters and waitresses were very nice and the service fairly efficient. However, we had a couple of mis-steps, such as the fact that they threw away the huge amount of leftover pasta that we were taking to our children. They offered to cook a plate of fries as a replacement, but we opted for gratis espressos instead. I appreciate the effort to make it right very much.

There are some nice places to eat nearby, including a little Sicilian restaurant next door. The steps up to Paceville have a lot of snack food places as well as the famous Hugo's. It's a little bit congested here, and it's difficult to walk to the promenade from the hotel, although completely manageable and worth the effort. The best trick is to walk to the Hilton and then cut through to the water from there and walk all the way around to Sliema and even The Point.

The pool is amazing for children -- nice temperature, shallow in depth, clean, salt water (I think), and was never too crowded. The poolside restaurant is slow, but that's okay because it just gives you an excuse to linger.

I feel like that, for the money, the terrace suites are a great value. They put you far enough away from the street to avoid the constant party noise below, are spacious, clean and comfortable. I believe they include club level access -- or at least our rate did -- and that was a great way to enjoy breakfast: quiet and uncrowded.

We had lingering air conditioning issues in the front room for the duration of the stay, but the engineers finally managed to get it working at least a little after about four or five tries.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2012

From the welcome to the goodbye, the service I received from the Club room service throughout my 5 night stay was exceptional. The room and beds are super comfortable and I can endorse the comments from Jettsetter that the Club room is superb. The staff always went out of their way to ensure that all I wanted was attended to. Little things like the lengths they went to to find a person, staying in the hotel, whose name I had got wrong, indicates the dedication and professionism of their staff. The Paranga Restaurant is a lovely site in which to while away lunch or enjoy the romantic atmosphere of it's waters edge location in the evening. A truly lovely stay,

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Simon W
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I almost cancelled our stay at this Hotel because of very mixed reviews !!!
They are off-putting, to say the least and I do accept that a Baby-accident could happen in the pool, bur for those of us who travel extensively, this Intercontinental Hotel has a staff proud of their achievements and going the 'extra mileS' !!! We booked a week in a Terraced Suite as part of the Club Lounge 'system'. Fabulous food, smiling faces of staff, comfort and QUIET all night long. It may be in 'Paceville', but Paceville does NOT impact inside the Hotel.
We see many Hotels on our travels. This one is near to a building site but WE never noticed. We did not need an upgrade ( which says a lot about the the attitude of some 'wingers' !!!
Book the best with confidence and enjoy the benefits..

2  Thank Hotelinspector72
Reviewed 23 June 2012

We stayed in this hotel for our first visit to Malta and really didn’t know what to expect. We were so impressed by the staff that it felt like we were leaving old friends behind when we left. A special mention must be made of Emmanuel at the Soprano/ Harruba restaurant who was a joy to see and he really did contribute to our enjoyment and our overall impression of the hotel. I am still trying to find Vermentino Zibibbo in the UK ( its a great white wine).Also I must mention the staff at the Sports bar who were also very friendly and made the greatest Mojitos I’ve had for a long time. We only regret missing the opportunity of meeting with the general manager of the hotel to express our opinion on what a great job he is doing. The staff at the Paranga must also get a mention for their great service and food.
If travelling with a baby or child make use of the play centre and the babysitting service the staff there are also very professional and it was very difficult to tear our little boy from them as he obviously was having so much fun with them there.
All in all we would rate this hotel as one of the best hotels we have stayed in and that is by no means a easy accolade to achieve as we choose our hotels very carefully. Last year we stayed at the Majestic in Cannes and although an exceptional hotel upon leaving we never felt the need to express our gratitude for a great time as we did with the Intercontinental in Malta.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ray B
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Stayed for 6 nights in a Room on 13th Floor with Club Access- Wow! Was told at time of booking included continental breakfast - the breakfast was great bacon eggs sausages toast of all different breads cold meats cheeses fruit salmon fantastic. Then all day access to soft drinks and tea and coffee and then afternoon canapes and alcoholic drinks beer wine and spirits. Fantastic value. The free WIFI was a great plus too. Room was clean and modern although we had a balcony that overlooked a side street was fine. Fantastic service from the doormen and porters/bellhops. My only gripe would be that the shower was terrible like having water sprinkled on you.The location of this hotel may put some people off as it is in Paceville which is primarily a club/bar district but was fine for us no problems at all . Great Pool and gym . All in all a great holiday and would def recommend this hotel to any one of any age with or without family.

1  Thank Jettsetter
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I regularly stay in this chain of hotels for business and holidays and is one I would always choose first over any other because of the usual quality and standard.

This trip was a mixture of both and I booked it months ago specifically asking for a balcony room. If you do the same, then specifically ask for one at the rear of the hotel (there are no seaviews of any note) as we were given a narrow balcony (the width of a small chair) overlooking the main road. Technically a balcony, but not one you would want to use. The hotel was fully booked and we couldn't even upgrade to a Club room unless it was half way through the trip, by then we were so hacked off with everything else we couldn't be bothered.

They are knocking a building down next door and all you can hear are diggers, lorries moving rubble and see 3 cranes moving continuously - they don't even seem to have a siesta so it's constant. Forget a relaxing lunch by the pool (unless you want to get dressed and go out of the hotel, that's really the only option) because the noise is deafening.

We had 7 of the most uncomfortable/sleepless nights due to a very hard bed (some would like this I guess) and a poorly fitting bottom sheet. In fact it didn't fit at all, and we had to get up several times in the night to straighten it out. We spoke to housekeeping and they said that was all there was.

Thankfully we couldn't hear the noise outside as the double glazing was good and the airconditioning worked fine so didn't need doors open.

But the worst was to come. On the 5th day of our trip I entered the pool for a swim after lunch to see what can only be described as "the contents of a babies nappy" at the bottom of the pool! Either I was the only one to notice it, or everyone was being very polite, so I went to report it to the Manager at the restaurant. He took me over to the guy looking after the towels who said he knew about it! So I was horrified to discover that they had made no attempt to empty the pool of people (or water!) and there were still children playing in the immediate area of it. I pointed out that this was extremely hazardous and they should clear the pool - which they eventually did about half an hour later. I said I had noticed babies in the pool with no nappies on at all and he said "we know, they were doing that last year as well, throwing the babies in the pool to clean them". Surely they should have some sort of "nappy wearing" policy at the very least!

They then went and got the hose used for cleaning the pool and remove it and everyone was allowed back in. Needless to say, we did not.

The next day I thought they would most likely have taken steps to clean the water properly and went for an early swim, only to see some "content" was still left at the bottom of the pool by one of the filters. I immediately went and found another member of staff and she said she would look into it. At no point did anyone come back and reassure me, nor did I see anyone go to check it out.

I didn't go back in the pool for the rest of the trip choosing to shower rather than swim.

Other than all this we had a pleasant stay in Malta generally as have friends over there and will go back again - but will categorically NEVER stay in this hotel again. I would advise you check out the Hilton, or Westin if you want to be near the action in Paceville, or the Radisson if you don't mind things a bit quieter.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#5 of 15 in Valletta

Been to InterContinental Malta? Share your experiences!