“9th visit, and will return.”

InterContinental Malta
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Don't let the location put you off. Paceville (clubs, bars etc) is next door but you are not disturbed.
Staying on the club floor is a must. Its a haven away from the hussle and bussle of Malta. A pleasant suprise for us, from 15.00-19.30 the club lounge is child free, making a calm and relaxing atmosphere for business people, couples and parents alike. Kids club provides an excellent service for the little people's entertainment.
All the staff are professional, helpful and friendly. Pepe the banter was excellent (yes we know Spain won!!)
The management team are open to discussion, and welcome opinions and improvements for the hotel.
Our room on the 15th floor (club suite) was modern and spacious with a huge bathroom including,bath and large separate shower, the room was also kept spotlessly clean throughout our stay.
The Paranga restaurant is also excellent, a bit pricey but the best seafood I have ever had.

As mentioned in other reviews the beach club turns into a beach front bar after 6pm, we spent a couple of hours here one evening and loved every minute of it, although the main road is close the beach is still very private.

As returning guests we can honestly say we have never had a bad experience with the hotel or any of the staff and would reccomend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit Malta.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 July 2012

Make no mistake, this is a quality hotel, from the professional check-in by the delightful Pepe, to the overall service and quality of the rooms, everyone goes out of their way to make your visit special.

It is difficult to pick out any special feature when the bar is set so high but the Italian Restauarnt is absolutley superb.

We stayed in March and will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SteveBrownWoolacombe
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We had a triple share room - 2 double beds & 1 camp bed. Accommodation was very clean and the facilities absolutely fantastic. The concierge (Robert) and his staff were more than helpful in assisting us with tourist information and als to obtain transport to leave Malta - we didn't do enough homework and were relying on ferries to get us to Malta; not going to happen at the time we were there. They sourced out and booked a flight for us. Breakfast was great - and the staff very helpful in all aspects of our stay. The hotel was in a great location - close to the night life! We were more than happy with our stay at the Hotel Intercontinental and would receommend it to anyone looking to stay on Malta.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Vicki S
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Went to Malta end of March 2012 to celebrate my Mam's birthday. Travelled with her, my brother and sister in law. After a cold start to the holiday the weather then tuened beautiful. The hotel was amazing!!!

One of the best I have stayed in. Don't go to Gozo though, we were hounded by taxi firms!

The Tapa's bar nearby is sooooo good, amazing service. The Maltese are lovely people and this holiday was brilliant. Couldn't recommend highly enough.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2012

My family of 4, two adults and 2 children stayed in this beautiful hotel for two weeks and we had the club accomodation. I must say I really enjoyed the Malta experience, the hotel staff was highly professional, polite and always greeted us with a smile, just like the people of Malta who went out of there way to help us visit the island. My whole family is already talking about going back next year. The location of the hotel is perfect for the night life, it has a really nice outdoor pool on the tenth floor and an inside pool together with a sauna and steam bath. I took advantage of all the luxuries and still wake up thinking of going to the club lounge for breakfast.. Thanks again Intercontinental, hope to see you in the near future. Regards Fiorello De Palma
P.s. A special thanks to Ms Itiana Zahra Reservations Executive would made this all happen....

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank depalmaf
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Arrived early 12 ish left mobile receptionist said they would call when room ready - after 3pm no call, when returned keys were waiting, asked about times of meals, receptionist unsure - so not great first impression.

Booked a delux sleeping three. - got 2 doubles and a camp bed, room tired, old carpet with stains, bath surround had mould ingrained, room only set up for 2 so had to constantly ask for more of everything and while they were then supplied it was tiresome and just a pain.

Asked about changing bed but told would be replaced with hard one didn't bother, soft though camp was good!

Pool too small for number of rooms in hotel, very crowded and not clean. Pool area left untidy with empty glasses and full ashtrays lying around. Even though there seemed to be about 10 people behind the bar it took ages to get a drink and service around the pool side was sporadic, albeit very friendly.

Food was good and well cooked but smoked salmon at breakfast was in very short supply and of poor quality. There were a great choice of desserts but no ice cream or cream to go with and when there was, it was served by the scoop - very stingy.

My travelling friend fell on way into breakfast on our second morning, on marble floor and had to go to A&E. At the time the hotel staff were very supportive and helpful and called a doctor and called up to the room to see if she was ok. The doctor at the hospital said she had a small fracture and luckily she didn't need plaster just a sling but she was very shaken up. Disappointly after we returned no-one from the management/customer services team bother to ask after her or even mentioned it for the remainder of our stay. Not very good customer care.

To be fair there were good points, the hotel towels were lovely and .the staff were friendly and helpful, the issue is really with the hotel overall, it is just tired and the service standards you expect from a five star are missing.

I have filled in the hotel's questionnaire and the hotel were apologetic and offered to llok after us when we next return - sorry too little too late we won't be going back, will go to a real five star next time .

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank 15Ali
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Rented a car and arrived after 20 min from the airport while making rounds in St Julians with the gps as it was not clear where the hotel entrance was.

Finally got the entrance, stopped the car and tried to unload our suitcases, a man from the concierge came outside and I told him we check in at the InterContinental Club, and he opened the door for me to take mu suitcases myself in the hotel. I left them on the hotel entrance and I told my wife go to the club and I am coming as noone offered to park my car, there is valet service.
It took me another 10 min to park and when I enter ther hotel I see my wife standing wondering around. She told me there was a lot of people at the reseption waiting and noone told her about the club. I saw an empty desk, and I asked, I am an InterContinental ambassador therefore, the kind lady came to show us to the club for check in.
Went to 15 floor a nice lounge sat to check in. My son started playing and wondering around the club and the club assistance told me that from 15:00- 19:30 the club was child free. I got very upset. Booking a Club room paying 50-60 eur more to get the club benefits and learn after that children are not allowed. I got really upset. I told her about the car and the got the keys so they would keep it finally for me as they suggested. I also asked if my son is allowed to have breakfast as for the afternoon snack time he is not allowed to enter and we made a joke about it. Next day I saw a couple entering the club and their child was looking from the class door outside cause he was not allowed to enter. A very big adverse poin for the hotel. Did not like this at all. I had to go have my drink and then change my wife to have hers. Pathetic as children would not ruin the club atmosphere. First time I see this in many many hotels I visit and even in third world countries.
If you are with children definetely dont book a club room.
Anyway, got the room keys and showed to our terraced suite. It was supposed to be one of the best rooms in the hotel, with direct pool access. Thats was also a joke. A big lounge with a working desk, a bed for my son, a guest toilet, an lcd tv etc. the bedroom was large with a big bathtub, a shower cabin etc. it had 2 balconies and a huge terrace with sunbeds and umbrella and table and chairs. However no pool direct access. What they meant i learnt afterwards that i could go out my room, throught the stairs, and then down to the pool. I smiled. Maybe i did not understand correctly the "direct pool access". So every room close to the fire ascape had direct access to the pool!!!
The pool was very very small for the size and guests at the hotel. However with my direct access :-) it was adequate.
Hotel is big and like a labyrinth.
It has a huge fitness gym with a lot of facilities and could be a big fitness gym as its own. A big internal swimming pool and a kids club.
The hotel has aslo a private beach opposite the road. That was also a joke. At around 5 the start packing the see beds as the beach closes at 6 and it becomes a night beach bar. So unpolite beach employees of the hotel start throwing away the towels from the sunbeds and start removing the sunbeds. I stayed until 5:59 and was counting the staff when it became 6 the nice unpolite man calls beach closed and all people had to leave. I wanted to make some fun and i asked him whats the time and he did not reply he showed me his mobile phone that it was 6 o clock. Unproffessional, unpolite, unInterContinental!!!
Food at the hotel is tasty and not very expensive.
Service is a big big problem for the hotel. The concierge team and the bell is standing outside of the hotel and guests need to open the hotel door themselves.
Its a busy hotel.
Definetely if back in Malta will not stay in InterContinental, there are some other chain hotels that sound better and they are.
Very sorry and dispointed from service and club.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#5 of 15 in Valletta

Been to InterContinental Malta? Share your experiences!