The Intercontinental is a beautiful hotel with great service. It seems to be a bit worn around the edges and behind the scenes. It is well used, so it's understandable that it would be a bit worn.
We arrived very early and they were able to check us in and store our luggage. They gave us ideas of what we could do until our room was ready. They offered the pools or beach use. We ended up taking the hop-on, hop-off bus and the hotel called us when our room was ready.
We stayed in a family room on the 8th floor South which was more than adequate for our family of five. It was spacious and perfect. The beds were a little worn with the springs making noises when you move, but they were not terribly uncomfortable. The A/C was not cooling appropriately so I mentioned it to the front desk and they promptly fixed it. It cooled wonderfully for the remainder of our stay. There was some black mold in the shower stall in the room as well as black staining on the backside of the sink in the bathroom. I realize that mold grows easily and is difficult to contain in areas that get wet constantly.
The courtyard garden was nice to walk through, though it was being used two of the nights we were there. It was nice to have our partial balcony view of it. Since our room was on a corner it was partially blocked, but it was beautiful. There was a wedding reception and the music was nice to hear from our room and it was over before it was too late in the evening.
The outdoor pool was very nice and our children enjoyed their time there. There were many lounge chairs and umbrellas. The beach was nice as well. The indoor pool was nice, though it did seem to feel a bit dirty with tiny pieces of debris floating in it. There was also a hole in the ceiling and what looked to be water damage of some sort. It just felt dirty. The kids didn't seem to mind it too much though.
The breakfast was fantastic. The buffet was plentiful and varied enough that everyone found plenty to eat each morning. Also when we checked out of the hotel at 3:30am to catch our flight out there was coffee, juice and croissants available, which was a great touch and helped us immensely with feeding the kids a bite before we left.
Behind the scenes the hotel may be in need of repair. The emergency stairs across from our room was a concern. We of course checked it out (we like to make sure our children know the exit points incase of fire). Upon opening the door there was a pipe directly overhead with water noises gushing. The lights were flickering and it scared our children. I know this area is not usually used, but it did not feel safe.
We ordered room service and the meals were prompt and fresh. Our children enjoyed them immensely.
We wanted to have a drink one evening but the bar area was being used by a private function so that was disappointing as we had hoped to have a quiet drink together away from the hubbub of the night life outside of the hotel.
The location is perfect for getting around. There is a bowling alley, movie theater, many restaurants, shopping and bars nearby. The hop-on, hop-off bus picks up right at the end of the street and drops off at the other end.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Malta redefines the meaning of elegance, hospitality and service with its contemporary design and modern ambience providing an exclusive and relaxed atmosphere. Conveniently and centrally located in the prime area of St. George’s Bay, InterContinental Malta is within walking distance of some of the islands finest shopping, entertainment and nightlife venues, also 20 minutes drive from Malta International Airport and 15 minutes drive to Valletta, Malta’s historical capital city. All 481 designer led bedrooms are superbly furnished; having all the comforts expected of a luxury hotel with either twin or king beds, spacious bathrooms with separate bath and shower, private balconies, coffee and tea making facilities and high-speed WIFI access. The luxury suites and presidential suite are located on the hotel’s higher floors, here guests can avail themselves of the Club InterContinental lounge with its stunning views across the island and Mediterranean. The lounge also includes a private reception desk, rooftop pool, meeting room and valet service. The Concierge team is also on hand throughout the day to provide insider knowledge vital for discovering and exploring the Maltese islands. With six restaurants and six bars, the hotel offers varied local and international cuisine at all times of day, both indoor and al fresco. The hotel’s extensive leisure facilities include a lagoon styled outdoor panoramic pool, a heated indoor pool, the Planet Trekkers Kids Club, a state of the art fitness center, a spa with a traditional Turkish hamam, hair salon and 24 hour room service. The revamped and extended InterContinental Beach Club includes an exclusive sandy beach and incorporates an array of amenities including bars, a restaurant, and water-sports facilities. The hotels extensive meeting, exhibition and conference facilities offer guests 6,000 sqm of space in over 30 meeting rooms, including the state of the art InterContinental Arena Meeting Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , IHG, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your InterContinental Malta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Malta Hotel Saint Julian`s
- Intercontinental Saint Julians
- Intercontinental Hotel Malta