“Fabulous staff make the hotel Excell”

InterContinental Malta
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Saint Julian's
North Wales
“Fabulous staff make the hotel Excell”
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

My wife & I decided upon a week's break in Malta to celebrate our wedding anniversary & we are so pleased we elected to stay at this hotel,
The hotel itself is well equipped, spotless and provides a good base for you to explore the island.
I consider however that what raises the hotel from being a "good' hotel to an excellent place to stay is the staff, every single member of staff appears to believe in customer first.
They are all extremely courteous, keen to assist and will genuinely go the extra mile to ensure their guests are looked after.
The food is also worthy of a mention, living up to the general standards of this excellent hotel.
I would recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bridgend, Wales, UK
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Great hotel in every aspect. Excellent rooms and service. One of the best hotels I have stayed in. Breakfast was great, rooms were cleaned daily and turned down at night. Very clean. Pool on the roof was a nice feature but can get windy!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank DAH72
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2013

When I just arrived to a hotel Ive been told that the hotel is over booked and I have to stay three nights in another hotel (which was 4 stars ). I was really upset even if Im working in one of IHG hotels in London I expected have been treated as everyone else. Also I coudn't understand how the hotel which have more then 500 rooms can be over booked for 3 days!

Anyway after all I moved to intercontinenal on Saturday (after three nights as I arrived). In the morning my room wasn't ready yet so I went to Mdina that day. Late afternoon I came back to the hotel I been served by receptionist (a man ) who was really plite. He appopligesed that I had to stay in another hotel and he said that all staff will try to do them best to make my stay pleasant.
Until the day I check out he asked me everyday how em' I ? Is it everything okay ... Those small things made me to come down and made me feel more "welcome".

When I got my laguages to my room the man was asking or I had some flowers with me . ( Yes those flowers was mine)
He asked do I need a vaze. I said yah that would be great. As soon as I got the vaze to my room I got a call from house keeping who was checking or I really got a vaze. Thats just showed my how every guest are important.

As I asked a quite room during the night I'm really thankful that I got that. Nice quite big room with a balcony to a garden- wonderful.

Bathroom huge size which I just loved it. Very clean! Best regards for the womens who was looking after my room that week. Can't complain a room service has been exelent.

Breakfest buffet u can find everything. From Full breakfest to cakes and pastries ... Service at the restaurant was good.

In a pool I have been only ones and haven't enjoyed that much because was to windy that day...
Nothing to deal about service :)

After all I can say that all holidays was amazing in Malta and even I stayed in another hotel room and all service was great. If ill come to Malta I would like to stay here again...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Oksanaxx
Barton-upon-Humber, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This was our first time visiting Malta & we wanted to stay in a 1st Class hotel. This hotel did not let us down in any way. It was perfectly clean, the room was excellent, facilities, fantastic. It is positioned far enough up Bay street to avoid all the hustle & bustle of the nightlife, bars & all that is happening, but close enough to walk to if you wish. The Concierge Robert was very helpful with our enquiries & very happy to take the time to show us the hotel rooms , facilities & upgrades available for our next planned visit. we will definitely be going back to the Intercontinental.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shaun G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This hotel and its staff are really wonderful. Banji at reception was most helpful to us and arranged all sorts of wonderful reservations for us. We really found this hotel to have great facilities and a really wonderful atmosphere fromthe staff nothing was to much for them. The rooms are spacious and nicely laid out. I would mention that the hotel itself is situated closer to the clubbing district however this can be avoided by staying within the complex and taking advantage of the facilities within the hotel should you just want to relax. There is a mall directly opposite the hotel and this is very helpful also there are lovely walks along the prom to visit other areas. One recommendation would be to get a garden facing room as street facing is not a pretty. Thanks for an amazing time we had a wonderful experience in Malta thanks to the hotel and the fabulous staff.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Globetrotter201026
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This was our first trip to Malta and we had a great stay at this hotel. The room was very clean and a good size, the pool area was well maintained and there was plently of sun loungers.There are some really lovely resturants in the hotel and the breakfast was amazing, huge selection to choose from. We felt that we didn't really like the area around the hotel as it was very commercial with McDonald's, burger king, subway, a cinema and bowling alley, but the hotel itself was lovely.

The best thing about this hotel was the customer service, every member of staff we encountered was really friendly and would make genuine conversation. Two staff members called khodor and Cristina particularly stood out as having excellent customer service skills.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cheryl P
Virginia Beach, VA
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The Intercontinental is a beautiful hotel with great service. It seems to be a bit worn around the edges and behind the scenes. It is well used, so it's understandable that it would be a bit worn.

We arrived very early and they were able to check us in and store our luggage. They gave us ideas of what we could do until our room was ready. They offered the pools or beach use. We ended up taking the hop-on, hop-off bus and the hotel called us when our room was ready.

We stayed in a family room on the 8th floor South which was more than adequate for our family of five. It was spacious and perfect. The beds were a little worn with the springs making noises when you move, but they were not terribly uncomfortable. The A/C was not cooling appropriately so I mentioned it to the front desk and they promptly fixed it. It cooled wonderfully for the remainder of our stay. There was some black mold in the shower stall in the room as well as black staining on the backside of the sink in the bathroom. I realize that mold grows easily and is difficult to contain in areas that get wet constantly.

The courtyard garden was nice to walk through, though it was being used two of the nights we were there. It was nice to have our partial balcony view of it. Since our room was on a corner it was partially blocked, but it was beautiful. There was a wedding reception and the music was nice to hear from our room and it was over before it was too late in the evening.

The outdoor pool was very nice and our children enjoyed their time there. There were many lounge chairs and umbrellas. The beach was nice as well. The indoor pool was nice, though it did seem to feel a bit dirty with tiny pieces of debris floating in it. There was also a hole in the ceiling and what looked to be water damage of some sort. It just felt dirty. The kids didn't seem to mind it too much though.

The breakfast was fantastic. The buffet was plentiful and varied enough that everyone found plenty to eat each morning. Also when we checked out of the hotel at 3:30am to catch our flight out there was coffee, juice and croissants available, which was a great touch and helped us immensely with feeding the kids a bite before we left.

Behind the scenes the hotel may be in need of repair. The emergency stairs across from our room was a concern. We of course checked it out (we like to make sure our children know the exit points incase of fire). Upon opening the door there was a pipe directly overhead with water noises gushing. The lights were flickering and it scared our children. I know this area is not usually used, but it did not feel safe.

We ordered room service and the meals were prompt and fresh. Our children enjoyed them immensely.

We wanted to have a drink one evening but the bar area was being used by a private function so that was disappointing as we had hoped to have a quiet drink together away from the hubbub of the night life outside of the hotel.

The location is perfect for getting around. There is a bowling alley, movie theater, many restaurants, shopping and bars nearby. The hop-on, hop-off bus picks up right at the end of the street and drops off at the other end.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Le Meridien St. Julians
Le Meridien St. Julians
#9 of 32 in Saint Julian's
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,538 reviews

Been to InterContinental Malta? Share your experiences!