Stayed at the Intercontinental last week. Their best commodity is their staff, polite and well-trained and very attuned to customer service and satisfaction.
Breakfast had a great choice of foods in a very nice setting. Location is good, great for the young and young of heart to dance all night in the Paceville discos, bars and clubs just behind the hotel. Easy to catch local busses all over the island from behind the hotel and concierge knowledgable giving sound advice.
The room is where they lose marks. The first room we were sent to on the 12th floor smelt badly of mould. I immediately went down again to reception and received a second room. The room had been refurbished , carpets removed (as they claimed that this was the source of the smell in the first room) BUT the bathroom was absolutely not up to 5-star standard. Rust on the bath, chipped and cracked floor tiles, stained marble around the sink and a dirty toilet seat. I felt rather awkward complaining again but as we were staying 5 nights I did. We were politely shown another 2 rooms that we could choose from. One was similar to room #2 but bathroom in a better state and another huge family room but facing the main street with a tiny one person balcony. I opted for the regular room and it was fine albeit not 'deluxe'.
Just another word on the rooms are that they face all directions. Our room faced the inner courtyard and we had the continuous noise of the hotels' air-conditioning systems. I could not sit on the balcony because of the high noise level. The best facing is to the pool with a nice garden below, avoid the Paceville side and the main street if possible.
Another disturbing incident involved the minibar. As I have a specific diet I brought some food with me which i wanted to store in the room's minibar. A couple of days after we arrived we received a typed notice under the door that if we do not remove our food from both shelves we will be charged 30 Euro. We are allowed to use just one shelf. On the last afternoon I was resting on the bed when there was a knock and the door opened to reveal the minibar man wanting to refill his minibar. Why he thought he could just enter the room without waiting for an answer I do not know but thankfully I was decent :-)
We had a good vacation but not sure i will return to this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Malta redefines the meaning of elegance, hospitality and service with its contemporary design and modern ambience providing an exclusive and relaxed atmosphere. Conveniently and centrally located in the prime area of St. George’s Bay, InterContinental Malta is within walking distance of some of the islands finest shopping, entertainment and nightlife venues, also 20 minutes drive from Malta International Airport and 15 minutes drive to Valletta, Malta’s historical capital city. All 481 designer led bedrooms are superbly furnished; having all the comforts expected of a luxury hotel with either twin or king beds, spacious bathrooms with separate bath and shower, private balconies, coffee and tea making facilities and high-speed WIFI access. The luxury suites and presidential suite are located on the hotel’s higher floors, here guests can avail themselves of the Club InterContinental lounge with its stunning views across the island and Mediterranean. The lounge also includes a private reception desk, rooftop pool, meeting room and valet service. The Concierge team is also on hand throughout the day to provide insider knowledge vital for discovering and exploring the Maltese islands. With six restaurants and six bars, the hotel offers varied local and international cuisine at all times of day, both indoor and al fresco. The hotel’s extensive leisure facilities include a lagoon styled outdoor panoramic pool, a heated indoor pool, the Planet Trekkers Kids Club, a state of the art fitness center, a spa with a traditional Turkish hamam, hair salon and 24 hour room service. The revamped and extended InterContinental Beach Club includes an exclusive sandy beach and incorporates an array of amenities including bars, a restaurant, and water-sports facilities. The hotels extensive meeting, exhibition and conference facilities offer guests 6,000 sqm of space in over 30 meeting rooms, including the state of the art InterContinental Arena Meeting Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your InterContinental Malta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Malta Hotel Saint Julian`s
- Intercontinental Saint Julians
- Intercontinental Hotel Malta