“"Overnight" Business Trip; great service & relaxing stay!”

InterContinental Malta
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Recently, I had the opportunity to stay at the Intercontinental-Malta, for one night, and found the staff extremely friendly, and more than willing to help with my hotel stay. The reception staff are second to none and made me feel welcome. Upon my departure, the front desk went out of their way to help me with international credit card use-issues and finally were able to get the bill posted to my account.

The hotel is spacious and rooms were very comfortable and clean. Bathroom was modern and helped with the relaxing atmosphere.

Without reservation, I recommend th hotel to business class as well as vacationers. As for the island itself, I would not book a vacation in the off-season, if you're looking for beach weather.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for InterContinental Malta

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I have stayed at this hotel and other Intercontinental Hotels around the world before. This hotel is not the most modern of the IC chain, but it is a great place to stay. The staff here are truly amazing. Very friendly and help you out with anything. In the middle of the night the curtain fell down in my room, and after calling reception someone was fixing the curtain straight away. They offered to move me to a different room, and also provided me with a free 3 course dinner for the trouble. It was another great visit, and will definitely be going back one day soon!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Fantastic hotel, friendly staff especially the F&B staff, with more than one option where to dine… all Rest... serving very good and tasty food with great presentation… Waterbiscuit is my favourite!!!!!!!!!!! Highly recommended, has also smoking area…

5  Thank RFresh_31
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The staff are good on the whole, but you feel like your just one of thousands of others passing through this large chain. The hotel pool on the roof was great, but for most of our stay a drill from across the road was pounding at the rocks (not the hotels fault).
When we arrived we were given two rooms away from each other, I said I had requested two close by, to which the receptionist said I had not mentioned this when booking. I showed her my request as it was on my booking print off, to which she said she would see what she could do. What she should have said was, sorry sir this was our mistake and apologised. In the end we got two rooms on the same floor but they were about 1 mins walk from one another. With a baby in tow this was not great; a pushchair in this area is not ideal as paceville round the corner is all steps.
My room was a good size and peaceful but the carpet needed renewing and the door frame by the shower was starting to rot. The maid who did the room missed out on her tip as I put it there on Sunday morning, and I'm pretty sure that's the only day she didn't do it. Maybe an envelope drop off point for tips might work better.
On leaving we found mini bar items on the bill which we had not had. We had cooled the baby's bottle and then replaced the items. The whole minibar which charges after 15 seconds of something moving and has an enormous one off fee for empytying it, is a public relations disaster. The girl on reception who checked us out was at least understanding and helpful unlike the other female reception staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Our suite was very comfortable and we enjoyed watching all of the traffic and young people from our balcony. Our room was very quiet even with all of the noise outside. When we were eating in the area we ate at the hotel which was very relaxing. The food was very good and there were mini markets around to pick up food when you just wanted to make something yourself. The staff could not have been nicer and more helpful. This is a hilly area as is most of Malta and we had to be very careful walking outside at night not to trip. The young ladies were doing it in very high heels and not even holding on to their dates. We arrived the last day before it got too cold to swim in the very large roof pool. There are so many things to do on the island that we didn't miss hanging out at the pool. We used points from our timeshare and were in the diamond resorts area of the hotel.

2  Thank abigailNJ
Reviewed 20 November 2013

great resort, perfect location, rooms amazing, only thing that dissapointed was the tv, only news channels! it would have been nice to watch a film or somthing light hearted at the end of the day. having said that i would definately go back, i really enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lynpritchard
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stayed at the Intercontinental last week. Their best commodity is their staff, polite and well-trained and very attuned to customer service and satisfaction.
Breakfast had a great choice of foods in a very nice setting. Location is good, great for the young and young of heart to dance all night in the Paceville discos, bars and clubs just behind the hotel. Easy to catch local busses all over the island from behind the hotel and concierge knowledgable giving sound advice.
The room is where they lose marks. The first room we were sent to on the 12th floor smelt badly of mould. I immediately went down again to reception and received a second room. The room had been refurbished , carpets removed (as they claimed that this was the source of the smell in the first room) BUT the bathroom was absolutely not up to 5-star standard. Rust on the bath, chipped and cracked floor tiles, stained marble around the sink and a dirty toilet seat. I felt rather awkward complaining again but as we were staying 5 nights I did. We were politely shown another 2 rooms that we could choose from. One was similar to room #2 but bathroom in a better state and another huge family room but facing the main street with a tiny one person balcony. I opted for the regular room and it was fine albeit not 'deluxe'.
Just another word on the rooms are that they face all directions. Our room faced the inner courtyard and we had the continuous noise of the hotels' air-conditioning systems. I could not sit on the balcony because of the high noise level. The best facing is to the pool with a nice garden below, avoid the Paceville side and the main street if possible.
Another disturbing incident involved the minibar. As I have a specific diet I brought some food with me which i wanted to store in the room's minibar. A couple of days after we arrived we received a typed notice under the door that if we do not remove our food from both shelves we will be charged 30 Euro. We are allowed to use just one shelf. On the last afternoon I was resting on the bed when there was a knock and the door opened to reveal the minibar man wanting to refill his minibar. Why he thought he could just enter the room without waiting for an answer I do not know but thankfully I was decent :-)
We had a good vacation but not sure i will return to this hotel.

1  Thank Esther90435
The Palace
The Palace
#1 of 28 in Sliema
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Been to InterContinental Malta? Share your experiences!