We stayed at this property over the Christmas week, the choice of the Intercontinental over other 5 star hotels in the area being driven by the great value rooms.
The hotel is huge but the staff are incredibly friendly thus generating a more intimate feel. There's a choice of dining venues and bars, plus an excellent on site gym and indoor/outdoor pools. There is free wifi throughout the property but it's not particularly fast - okay for email and general web browsing but a struggle for iTunes and video.
Food and drink was of a good quality and well-priced, competing well against the local bars and restaurants. The area is very much focused on the younger party crowd but we didn't see any trouble and the choice of venue options was handy.
I'd say on the whole the property is a little worn around the edges - the badly scuffed bed headboard didn't leave a good impression - but it was acceptable for the price we paid although I'd probably complain if I'd shelled out at rack rate.
The only real negative was the noise, which literally came from every angle. I can only imagine what it must be like in the summer season when the hotel is full and guests are using the central outdoor garden and pool area... To be fair, there's not really a lot they can do about that short of rebuilding however we got a lot of noise from upstairs (probably high heeled shoes on the tile floor), a fair amount of 'moaning' (!) from next door, plus the rustle, chatter and rattle of inconsiderate housekeeping and maintenance staff using their store room in the corridor (from around 7am every morning).
All in all, we had a good stay and enjoyed the property but I would caution potential guests to request a quiet room if you're wanting to sleep in.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Malta redefines the meaning of elegance, hospitality and service with its contemporary design and modern ambience providing an exclusive and relaxed atmosphere. Conveniently and centrally located in the prime area of St. George’s Bay, InterContinental Malta is within walking distance of some of the islands finest shopping, entertainment and nightlife venues, also 20 minutes drive from Malta International Airport and 15 minutes drive to Valletta, Malta’s historical capital city. All 481 designer led bedrooms are superbly furnished; having all the comforts expected of a luxury hotel with either twin or king beds, spacious bathrooms with separate bath and shower, private balconies, coffee and tea making facilities and high-speed WIFI access. The luxury suites and presidential suite are located on the hotel’s higher floors, here guests can avail themselves of the Club InterContinental lounge with its stunning views across the island and Mediterranean. The lounge also includes a private reception desk, rooftop pool, meeting room and valet service. The Concierge team is also on hand throughout the day to provide insider knowledge vital for discovering and exploring the Maltese islands. With six restaurants and six bars, the hotel offers varied local and international cuisine at all times of day, both indoor and al fresco. The hotel’s extensive leisure facilities include a lagoon styled outdoor panoramic pool, a heated indoor pool, the Planet Trekkers Kids Club, a state of the art fitness center, a spa with a traditional Turkish hamam, hair salon and 24 hour room service. The revamped and extended InterContinental Beach Club includes an exclusive sandy beach and incorporates an array of amenities including bars, a restaurant, and water-sports facilities. The hotels extensive meeting, exhibition and conference facilities offer guests 6,000 sqm of space in over 30 meeting rooms, including the state of the art InterContinental Arena Meeting Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your InterContinental Malta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Malta Hotel Saint Julian`s
- Intercontinental Saint Julians
- Intercontinental Hotel Malta