Booked two double rooms (no single rooms anywhere any more) for me and my parents for 10 nights 10-20 January 2014. There was an offer and Hilton didn't offer free WiFi so I opted for this hotel. I did read the reviews and I already knew that there were some rooms that were rather noisy and they advised that we ask for rooms facing the inner garden. I was prepared, or so I thought...
The check-in was a bit surreal. I asked if it was possible to have both rooms facing the garden. I was given "an offer" of paying 30+40 euros per day for the two rooms. I refused to give them more money to get a room with a view and we were consequently placed in two room at a location I can only call the backside of the hotel facing offices, overlooking a very noisy street, with construction noises during the day and drunken shouting during the night.
Furthermore, it was the 10th of January and both rooms were boiling hot and we turned the air-conditioning on to cool it down. We later found out that even when set to cool the machine would be set on hot because it was winter and apparently that is the time when people want their brains to boil in their skull. We opted out for opening the window when not there. Of course this being a non-smoking hotel, people would go to the balcony to smoke and the smoke would go into the rooms so sometimes coming back we were met by the unpleasant aroma of other peoples' cancer sticks.
I complained to the manager about the fact that although they had obviously very few guests we were given two of the worst rooms possible. There, I found out that "deluxe" means standard (albeit quite nice and comfortable) and if I wanted a garden view I had to pay for a "panoramic" room which is exactly the same as the deluxe but overlooking the garden. He also made me an offer to pay extra to get one of those. I would think that it cost the same to the hotel had we been given a panoramic room so I refused to pay extra as a matter of principle. It was not mentioned on the offer that we would be at the worst location possible and for the same money I would have had a sea view in the Hilton.
I made it clear that I was not happy. Although we were not given better rooms the manager did buy us drinks and gave us access to the executive lounge for a day - although I don't know if that would have been given to us anyway.
So, beware of the "deluxe" delusion. The rooms are nice but the location of your room is crucial in this hotel and can make a huge difference in the enjoyment of your holidays.
Other impressions: the staff was quite polite and helpful. The rooms are very nice and the WiFi quite fast most times, although I am not sure what it would be like with a full hotel. The hotel is quite close to night life and restaurants (I recommend "The Avenue"). The hotel restaurants are more expensive but good. Make sure you visit the nearby supermarket or one of the shops for packs of 2.5L water bottles instead of paying 1 euro for the 500ml bottles.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Malta redefines the meaning of elegance, hospitality and service with its contemporary design and modern ambience providing an exclusive and relaxed atmosphere. Conveniently and centrally located in the prime area of St. George’s Bay, InterContinental Malta is within walking distance of some of the islands finest shopping, entertainment and nightlife venues, also 20 minutes drive from Malta International Airport and 15 minutes drive to Valletta, Malta’s historical capital city. All 481 designer led bedrooms are superbly furnished; having all the comforts expected of a luxury hotel with either twin or king beds, spacious bathrooms with separate bath and shower, private balconies, coffee and tea making facilities and high-speed WIFI access. The luxury suites and presidential suite are located on the hotel’s higher floors, here guests can avail themselves of the Club InterContinental lounge with its stunning views across the island and Mediterranean. The lounge also includes a private reception desk, rooftop pool, meeting room and valet service. The Concierge team is also on hand throughout the day to provide insider knowledge vital for discovering and exploring the Maltese islands. With six restaurants and six bars, the hotel offers varied local and international cuisine at all times of day, both indoor and al fresco. The hotel’s extensive leisure facilities include a lagoon styled outdoor panoramic pool, a heated indoor pool, the Planet Trekkers Kids Club, a state of the art fitness center, a spa with a traditional Turkish hamam, hair salon and 24 hour room service. The revamped and extended InterContinental Beach Club includes an exclusive sandy beach and incorporates an array of amenities including bars, a restaurant, and water-sports facilities. The hotels extensive meeting, exhibition and conference facilities offer guests 6,000 sqm of space in over 30 meeting rooms, including the state of the art InterContinental Arena Meeting Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), IHG, Expedia, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your InterContinental Malta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Malta Hotel Saint Julian`s
- Intercontinental Saint Julians
- Intercontinental Hotel Malta