“Beware of winter offers”

InterContinental Malta
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Booked two double rooms (no single rooms anywhere any more) for me and my parents for 10 nights 10-20 January 2014. There was an offer and Hilton didn't offer free WiFi so I opted for this hotel. I did read the reviews and I already knew that there were some rooms that were rather noisy and they advised that we ask for rooms facing the inner garden. I was prepared, or so I thought...

The check-in was a bit surreal. I asked if it was possible to have both rooms facing the garden. I was given "an offer" of paying 30+40 euros per day for the two rooms. I refused to give them more money to get a room with a view and we were consequently placed in two room at a location I can only call the backside of the hotel facing offices, overlooking a very noisy street, with construction noises during the day and drunken shouting during the night.

Furthermore, it was the 10th of January and both rooms were boiling hot and we turned the air-conditioning on to cool it down. We later found out that even when set to cool the machine would be set on hot because it was winter and apparently that is the time when people want their brains to boil in their skull. We opted out for opening the window when not there. Of course this being a non-smoking hotel, people would go to the balcony to smoke and the smoke would go into the rooms so sometimes coming back we were met by the unpleasant aroma of other peoples' cancer sticks.

I complained to the manager about the fact that although they had obviously very few guests we were given two of the worst rooms possible. There, I found out that "deluxe" means standard (albeit quite nice and comfortable) and if I wanted a garden view I had to pay for a "panoramic" room which is exactly the same as the deluxe but overlooking the garden. He also made me an offer to pay extra to get one of those. I would think that it cost the same to the hotel had we been given a panoramic room so I refused to pay extra as a matter of principle. It was not mentioned on the offer that we would be at the worst location possible and for the same money I would have had a sea view in the Hilton.

I made it clear that I was not happy. Although we were not given better rooms the manager did buy us drinks and gave us access to the executive lounge for a day - although I don't know if that would have been given to us anyway.

So, beware of the "deluxe" delusion. The rooms are nice but the location of your room is crucial in this hotel and can make a huge difference in the enjoyment of your holidays.

Other impressions: the staff was quite polite and helpful. The rooms are very nice and the WiFi quite fast most times, although I am not sure what it would be like with a full hotel. The hotel is quite close to night life and restaurants (I recommend "The Avenue"). The hotel restaurants are more expensive but good. Make sure you visit the nearby supermarket or one of the shops for packs of 2.5L water bottles instead of paying 1 euro for the 500ml bottles.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank GMatzaras

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Great hotel!! I booked the hotel from 4th Jan 2014 to 22nd Jan 2014. Staff is extremely friendly, the location of the hotel is perfect....right in the heart of the city where all the action is -Paceville. Best thing is that the hotel gives you an ipad at a security deposit of Euro 300 cash or card. You can use the ipad for your entire stay and when you return it back they give you back the security deposit. So basically you use the ipad for free. I thought it was a unique thing. The food at the hotel is good. Overall a great experience

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Vikramjeet2375
Reviewed 22 January 2014

InterConti's Carisma Spa and Wellness is a true joy to be in. The ambience is lovely, the therapists make you feel at ease, welcome and pampered and the Turkish Hammam has a feel to it that is really unique. It has to be tried and tested to know exactly the good feeling this spa leaves you with ... Just go.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ingrid Z
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights as part of a conference.
Check in was painless and simple and the front desk staff were pleasant and polite.

My room was a good size and clean and my beds were confortable. My only niggle is the AC doesnt seem to make the room that cool even when it was on its lowest setting, but as it was Jan the outside temp isnt that hot so it wasnt an issue but i cannot imagine in the summer this would cause an issue

I used the hotel for breakfast and lunch and thought the food was good. The breakfast had alot of choice to satisfy the most picky person.

Also i would like to make a note that the front desk person "Alexy" was really helpful when i wanted my boarding passes printed for my return flight. Normally some people fob you off to the business center but he printed it there and then for me which was a nice touch..

I could certainly recommend this hotel to all. The outside pool area looked nice although i didnt go in it due to it being Jan

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Eddie_Catflap
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Thank you very much that fantastic holiday in your hotel and specially for Gabor from your best restaurant ! where we had a lot of dinner!
I am never used site like this so i do not have routine wuth big comments but from this day I will try my best!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed at Xmas. The service was very good and the rooms clean and spacious. One of the best centralised locations. Pay a bit extra and stay on the club lounge level. The new restaurant at the entrance was very good also. Would recommend.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 20 January 2014

stayed here 14/0114 to 18/01/14 ,from recepition staff to room attendants were all very helpful,breakfast was good plenty of choice.nice roof pool and indoor pool,the deluxe room we had was very clean and very comfortable, 10 south side floor easy access to roof pool.cant complain about any thing about this great hotel

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 28 in Sliema
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#5 of 15 in Valletta

Been to InterContinental Malta? Share your experiences!