“Great stay”

InterContinental Malta
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Saint Julian's
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed here for 8 days and had a lovely time. The staff are friendly and very helpful. I emailed ahead and asked for a high floor and nice view and got both. The hotel is very central in St Julian's ,close to all bars,shops and restaurants, which can be noisy and lively in the evening, but we knew this. The concierge James is very helpful in organising all your excursions. Great pool and pool bar on the 10th floor with lovely views.
Would be more than happy to return here

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,105)

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We spent 4 nights in April in Intercontinental Malta. As an IHG Platinum member, we were upgraded automatically to a Superior room with garden view. Room was really spacious, cosy and clean. Staff was extremely friendly, concierge service was excellent. The roof-top Club Lounge was simply brilliant. Thanks for the time we spent there!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2014

If your coming to Malta for any reason, this is the hotel to stay. Situated in a entertainment area, close to shops, and one of the only sandy beaches, on the island, which the hotel have a section exclusive for hotel guests. The hotel has very clean comfortable rooms, and the club lounge is like walking into a oasis of calm, from the heat and busy streets of the town. The food is good, but the water biscuit restaurant, beats, many top London restaurants for the excellent food and outstanding service by very knowledgeable waiters. The most outstanding feature of the hotel is the helpful, knowledgeable staff who are always friendly and smiling and real proud of there hotel, and the customer service they provide. Really good value.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights earlier this month and had a fabulous time. The rooms were a good size, well furnished and very clean - no complaints at all. The breakfast was fantastic - so much choice and all of a high quality. Would recommend the made to order omelettes. The thing that really made our stay special was the service we received. All the staff were brilliant from the reception staff to the bar and restaurant staff - everybody really wanted to make your stay enjoyable! The hotel was located in a central location opposite a shopping mall and a 2 minute walk to the hotel's private section of the beach. It was right by Paceville which we found entertaining and the soundproofed balcony doors ensured we did not hear any noise. A five minute walk away was the marina by the Hilton where there were a few restaurants and a bit further on was Spinola Bay which was beautiful. From here there was a flat promenade walk along the coastline into the next resort Sliema which was lovely to walk along and then beyond there was Valletta - a must see! We had a fabulous time and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marie_derry
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My wife and my two kids and I stayed at this hotel for three nights. We had booked a cheap online agent rate and decided beforehand to try and ask the hotel for an upgrade to a larger room to better accomodate the four of us. The hotel offered us three different upgrade option of which we decided to take the Terrace Suite at a supplement of 75€ per night. On the hotel website it says that all suites come with "50 sq m of luxury includes separate living area use of the 15th floor InterContinental club lounge and terrace offering exclusive check in complementary breakfast and refreshments throughout the day".

However, on arrival we were told that as we had not paid the full amount for the suite, we were not entitled to lounge acces and hence complimentary breakfast. This was a big disappointment and highly questionable given what was stated on the hotel web site. We had been given no information indicating that our terms were in any way special or inferiour to other guests staying in suites. And the complimentary breakfast was an important argument for taking the upgrade. So of course we felt very badly treated at this stage. They would not offer us the lounge access that I still feel that we should have had, but offered us complimentary breakfast for one night and a discount for breakfast for the next two nights (they later waived this charge without me pushing for this in any way). I accepted this, but also let the front office manager know that I was not pleased with the solution.

Arriving at noon, our room was not ready despite a request for an early check-in. This is understandable as official check-in is at 3 pm. However, the check-in agent promised to call us as soon as the room was ready. They apparently forgot about this, which was disappointing. We returned at around 3 pm to find that the room was ready. Since this bad experience at check-in, I have to admit that the hotel staff did a lot to correct the bad experience connected to the check-in, calling often to check if everything was ok. They also provided us with a room to stay in until 6 pm on our check-out day with a charge of 50€, which was also waived without any asking at all.

I have to say that the hotel was good. Our room was really nice. Spacious, good lay out and a stunning terrace where we could have dinner (having a, btw, surprisingly good room service meal). One thing that is after all a small thing, but nevertheless pretty annoying, was that the water in the shower was impossible to control, it shifted from cold to burning within an instant, making showers a less pleasant experience. We had dinner from a few of the restaurants, and we were overall pleased, however one of them did mess up orders due to an obviously insufficient knowledge of English.

So in the end - the hotel was objectively good. The facilities are good and overall worthy of the five star rating, but I very much disliked being treated this way at check-in.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We chose this hotel for a romantic getaway. I'm Platinum IHG member, not been to Malta before so relied on IHG standard and reviews. Stunning hotel. Room spacious. Had noisy neighbour so was moved to quieter area in garden facing area which was delightful. Breakfast was quite ordinary and served cold. To credit of Guest Relations this was fixed by organising an upgrade to Club at nominal cost. Excellent and preferred method of stay. Very noisy around the area well into the night. This is the centre of Paceville Malta nightlife. Hotel was faultless but area busy, noisy and grubby, esp next morning after.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I am just back from my holiday in Malta.
Just at my arrival at the hotel I was suggested to upgrade to a 10th floor suite which was wonderful.
Reading the reviews I was concerned about the area(1) about the hotel restaurant Waterbiscuit(2)

The area is the best if you are looking for shops and all sort of bars and restaurants, I have not have any disturbance at all, no noise or so ever.

The Waterbiscuit was book at my arrival and since I could not choose to go anywhere else, Christian was our waiters and always suggested our menu. It is a top restaurant so do no go there to eat fish and chips, and have the decency to not place a negative comment, as I have read before my arrival.
I stayed in the hotel for the whole afternoon, the Gym is the most impressive one I have ever seeing, my child was at the Children Club enjoying playing with the other kids and every thing was just perfect. Wonderful to be closer to the reality.

The staff are amazingly friendly, I felt like and I was treated as I have never been treated before, Intercontinental has been and it will continue to be my first choice.
Many thanks for all your care and attention to every detail!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#5 of 15 in Valletta
Marina Hotel Corinthia Beach Resort

Been to InterContinental Malta? Share your experiences!